Why I believe Kay Hagan has a good shot at winning...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:46:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why I believe Kay Hagan has a good shot at winning...  (Read 8365 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:13:11 AM »

Ok, I looked back at past Senate races for NC during election years, going all the way back to 1992 the Democratic candidate for Senate in NC on avg did 3% better then the Democratic candidate for President did in NC. Also on avg thrid party candidate for Senate in NC got around 2% in NC. Ok so everyone know Obama will do better then Kerry did in 2004. So if Obama gets 46% of the vote in NC this year. Trends tell us that Hagan should get 49% of the vote right? Ok, also trends lead us to believe that the thrid party candidate(s) will get 2%(or higher). Ok so now it is
Hagan: 49%
Other: 2%
Dole: 49%

I not sure who will win, Dole may win her re-election, but this race will be very close, most likely the closest in the Nation. If the trends hold out.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:13:57 AM »

Thank you, the goldmine was getting a little less Josh-filled lately Smiley
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:15:39 AM »

What is goldmine? You are the one thats all about trends ect. I looked at the trends and that is what the trends say.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:01:22 AM »

Maybe she can pull it out, but Musgrove is definitely our best hope for knocking out a Southern incumbent.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:20:40 AM »

1. I am a Democrat
2. If you want something bad enough, it will happen
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »

Who was the last Democrat to win an NC Senate seat in a Presidential year? According to the Barone's political almanac, the answer is Sam Ervin. It's been 40 years.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 03:30:33 PM »

Who was the last Democrat to win an NC Senate seat in a Presidential year? According to the Barone's political almanac, the answer is Sam Ervin. It's been 40 years.

Sam Ervin was also a staunch segregationist (obviously).  Is Hagen?  Tongue
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 03:34:38 PM »

That would make sense since Josh22 assumes she'll outperform Obama by 3%. Maybe those McCain/Hagan voters are staunch segregationists...
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 03:37:27 PM »

If Hagan wants to win, maybe she should endorse Dole.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 03:40:21 PM »

That would make sense since Josh22 assumes she'll outperform Obama by 3%. Maybe those McCain/Hagan voters are staunch segregationists...

Oh what I read of her views Hagan is about the same as Easley, maybe a little more to the right. Anyways Democratic Senate candidates alway over perfrom the Democratic President candidate(or at least going back to 1992) Like for example, the Mountains, Bowles won some counties in the west in 2004 and 2000.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 03:42:35 PM »

Oh what I read of her views Hagan is about the same as Easley, maybe a little more to the right. Anyways Democratic Senate candidates alway over perfrom the Democratic President candidate(or at least going back to 1992) Like for example, the Mountains, Bowles won some counties in the west in 2004 and 2000.
It's easy to do better than the POTUS nominee if that candidate is winning 43%. My guess is that Hagan's ceiling is 47%.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 03:49:56 PM »

It's easy to do better than the POTUS nominee if that candidate is winning 43%. My guess is that Hagan's ceiling is 47%.

That is what Bowles got in 2004, I believe she will do better then that, I believe her ceiling is 51%. It will end up being a 49-49 races.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 05:08:35 PM »

To be fair, if I had to pick one of the longer shot races(NC, KY, ME,) that would end up going  to the Democrats it would be Hagan's since I actually could imagine her winning a senate race in North Carolina. I share much of the skepticism expressed on the thread about how likely this is against Liddy Dole in a Presidential year, but I don't think anything Josh said deserves the mocking he's received

There is nothing any more ridiculously about talking of the possibility of Hagan winning, and its a whole lot more likely than either Ann Northup or Mike Sodrel winning their old seats back this year. Its not as if Josh suggested that Dick Zimmer or Larry LarRoco were going to win.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 10:49:50 AM »

To be fair, if I had to pick one of the longer shot races(NC, KY, ME,) that would end up going  to the Democrats it would be Hagan's since I actually could imagine her winning a senate race in North Carolina. I share much of the skepticism expressed on the thread about how likely this is against Liddy Dole in a Presidential year, but I don't think anything Josh said deserves the mocking he's received

There is nothing any more ridiculously about talking of the possibility of Hagan winning, and its a whole lot more likely than either Ann Northup or Mike Sodrel winning their old seats back this year. Its not as if Josh suggested that Dick Zimmer or Larry LarRoco were going to win.

I'd say that Mitch McConnell losing is the most likely for NC, KY, and ME.  The problem with all three is that it won't be hard at all for Democrats to come close in the three, but it'll be near impossible to get to the plurality to actually knock any of them out.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wait, I thought the gay guy lost the primary?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 10:56:55 AM »

I'd say that Mitch McConnell losing is the most likely for NC, KY, and ME.  The problem with all three is that it won't be hard at all for Democrats to come close in the three, but it'll be near impossible to get to the plurality to actually knock any of them out.

Haha, He did, but Dole will be wearing them on Nov 5th.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »

Given that Hagen is getting outraised by 4 to 1, maybe she should concentrate on spending her money on campaign ads rather than buying gifts for her opponent.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 11:18:52 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2008, 11:41:17 AM by Josh22 »

Given that Hagen is getting outraised by 4 to 1, maybe she should concentrate on spending her money on campaign ads rather than buying gifts for her opponent.

She don't need to buy them Dole already has them on.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 11:25:47 AM »

She don't need to buy then Dole already has then on.

Would you like to try that again?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 11:35:28 AM »

I would recommend quitting while he's behind.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 11:40:26 AM »

She don't need to buy then Dole already has them on.

Yea, I notice that after I post it, but I had to bring back a drug screen.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »

I would recommend quitting while he's behind.

We can live with out your jerkish comments.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 11:48:46 AM »

Wouldn't happen to have been your own drug screen, would it?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 11:53:07 AM »

Wouldn't happen to have been your own drug screen, would it?

I'm not even going to start with you, because you are voting for McCain and anyone who is voting for him doesn't have much of a brain to think with.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 12:37:52 PM »

I thought Hagan nearly outraised Dole last quarter? Or is this COH?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 12:40:48 PM »

I thought Hagan nearly outraised Dole last quarter? Or is this COH?

Total.  Dole raised ~$11m to Hagan's $3m.  Dole up a little more than 2 to 1 in CoH.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies