Is Islam a hateful religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:25:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is Islam a hateful religion?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Answer the question
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Is Islam a hateful religion?  (Read 21546 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 11:11:33 AM »

No, of course not.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »

The moderates in the religion are doing nothing to improve their image or their insane leaders and radical wing. Until something changes along those lines, then yes, overall I'd have to say yes. It's nice to say you have moderates and modern thinkers but if they are sitting on the sidelines condemning the actions of their fellow followers then they are just as bad as the radicals.

You could make the same case about Christianity. Except the moderates in Christianity are leaving the religion instead of doing something about radicals, which just makes Christian radicals stronger. As such, I would say that Muslims in aggregate are without a doubt less hateful than Christians in aggregate.

The original question though was about Islam, not Muslims. I would not say that Islamic teachings are not overly hateful. Regressive yes, but that can be partially excused considering how long Islam has been around.

Christianity is, in aggregate, nowhere near as violent as Islam is today. There are no stonings or sucide bombings within Christianity, for instance.

What about Indonesia? Armed Christian groups have perpretrated some of the worst interreligious atrocities there, including the initiation of extreme violence in Maluku and Poso. Muslims killed by Christians are all too well represented in the body count for religious violence in the last ten to fifteen years.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »

Any 'hate' is ultimately within the individual person, not in the book.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 09:54:01 PM »

Bane, what do you base your "facts" on? Even the most evangelical Christians I see on a daily basis don't want to stone people in the streets.

Neither do the most hardcore fundie Muslims I meet. There is a lunatic fringe everywhere.
The Muslim fringe has been a lot more successfull lately.
More people join because they are either poor and desperate or the opposite. In other poor Christian countries, Christians can be quite violent.(especially Africa)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 05:22:47 AM »

Bane, what do you base your "facts" on? Even the most evangelical Christians I see on a daily basis don't want to stone people in the streets.

Neither do the most hardcore fundie Muslims I meet. There is a lunatic fringe everywhere.
The Muslim fringe has been a lot more successfull lately.

What do you mean by 'successful'?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 05:00:27 AM »

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Muslim extremists have had a lot more "success" (in their eyes) in the last decade compared to the violence brought about by Christian extremists.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 06:14:57 AM »

Answer to the poll:

Clearly, No.

One thing that I like in Islam which is not present in Christianity is that it assumes the part of the human which can lead him to make war and it try to give it some rules when Christianity has allowed itself to make war in the name of Christian principles which are the opposite of war.

Then, Islam, Christianity, else. I choose no one, to me these was great spiritualities but they are now just old and unadapted to the reality. They come back because peoples around the world are psychologically lost in the current realities...

I just hope the humanity will be able to find new ways once she will have seen the old ones are obsoletes. The problem would be that to notice that these are dead ends, it could shake a lot...
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 11:56:07 AM »

The religions itself does not appear to be, the leaders and the prominent people in Islam are hateful
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 02:31:26 AM »

the leaders and the prominent people in Islam are hateful

No, just a fringe of them, but a fringe which is becoming bigger and bigger, profiting of the headaches of Muslim populations.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 05:21:54 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In general though Islam seems to be less hateful than StatesRights.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 06:20:46 PM »

The modern perception of Islam portrays Islam as a hateful religion, but as a whole religious entity the Islamic religion is not a hateful religion.

It reminds me when I had a discussion about Islam with a friend of mine, and he like most people in regards to Islam believes that it is indeed a hateful religion. His examples primarily included martyrs and I believe the September 11 terrorist attacks.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 06:51:21 PM »

The modern perception of Islam portrays Islam as a hateful religion, but as a whole religious entity the Islamic religion is not a hateful religion.

It reminds me when I had a discussion about Islam with a friend of mine, and he like most people in regards to Islam believes that it is indeed a hateful religion. His examples primarily included martyrs and I believe the September 11 terrorist attacks.

And what were yours?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 01:03:29 AM »

Hateful people make religions up to use as a tool through which to express their hate. They can't come up with a good argument so they claim that God holds their opinions, thereby silencing the foolish that might hold an opposing position. Hate is born out of ignorance, and religion is a result of ignorance.

Islam is ignorant, not hateful
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2008, 02:05:01 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In general though Islam seems to be less hateful than StatesRights.

Roll Eyes I don't hate anything.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 08:52:34 AM »

Hateful people make religions up to use as a tool through which to express their hate. They can't come up with a good argument so they claim that God holds their opinions, thereby silencing the foolish that might hold an opposing position.

Agreed

Partly agreed.

You need more than ignorance to make born hate. It sounds to be most of all a cocktail of despair and misery, ignorance is not necessary, but if you add it, for sure it can become nitroglycerine...

No, Islam is nothing of this, this just a spirituality, and in this spirituality one of the priority is the... knowledge!

Euh, no.

Religion is the fact that some peoples practice the same spirituality, that they tie their way of life by this one. And I see the spirituality as something which ties the most basic realities to the deepest questions of the Man. Spirituality, when it is well practiced, is a way to the lucidity, to the balance of the mind, to a good construction of the reality. That's anyway how I see things.

Well, OK, the epoch don't help to see things like that, but don't fall in the trap of this epoch...
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2008, 02:48:31 PM »

Religion is the fact that some peoples practice the same spirituality, that they tie their way of life by this one. And I see the spirituality as something which ties the most basic realities to the deepest questions of the Man. Spirituality, when it is well practiced, is a way to the lucidity, to the balance of the mind, to a good construction of the reality. That's anyway how I see things.

Far out, man
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2008, 01:03:08 PM »

Are the majority of Muslims today hateful? Not necessarily. Was the founder? Yes, and a murdering revolting disgusting thug.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2008, 02:18:35 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2008, 02:31:43 PM by 我寻找感觉和方向 »

Far out, man

Well, it's maybe not the place for this debate, but I maintain, just watch the history the humanity, just try to understand how work a human society, what's its base...

I did a new thread to speak about this question, it is here.

I am by no means an expert of Islam, but I think you can judge a religion on how the majority of it's followers act.

Well, it's a way too see things. Personally when I'm asked "Is Islam a hateful religion? I think about what I know on the spirituality of Islam and I answer... No.

Can we do a hateful, insane, use of Islam? I answer... Yes. But so we can do of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism (yes, yes, we can), Hinduism or any spirituality you can think about.

I would personally say that Islam is more and more used in hateful and insane aims but is not something insane and hateful.

Was the founder? Yes, and a murdering revolting disgusting thug.

Well, easy caricature.

He was someone who established a great evolution for the human being in Arabia at the time by new rules for the concrete life and new intellectual perspectives, then he was someone who fought for what he found good as did the founders of the USA...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2008, 12:31:40 AM »

I am by no means an expert of Islam, but I think you can judge a religion on how the majority of it's followers act.

Well, it's a way too see things. Personally when I'm asked "Is Islam a hateful religion? I think about what I know on the spirituality of Islam and I answer... No.

Can we do a hateful, insane, use of Islam? I answer... Yes. But so we can do of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism (yes, yes, we can), Hinduism or any spirituality you can think about.

I would personally say that Islam is more and more used in hateful and insane aims but is not something insane and hateful.

My argument for that statement is simply what a religion does for the people that follow it.  If the majority of the followers, regardless of the doctrine, are insane crazy nut cases..then in my opinion that certain religion isn't doing any favors for the people.  If the people following the faith are good people, then the religion is making a good impact on the lives of everyone.

Yep, pretty much the point I've been making. If the moderates are doing nothing to change the situation on the ground they are irrelevant and aren't even worth discussing.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2008, 08:59:54 AM »

OK, so, in your way to see things we can say that according to the epoch all the religions are hateful and/or insane...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2008, 10:38:05 AM »

OK, so, in your way to see things we can say that according to the epoch all the religions are hateful and/or insane...

No. Christianity is led and followed mostly by moderates.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2008, 10:45:18 AM »

Has it always been?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2008, 10:46:05 AM »

Has it always been?

Not necessarily but that's not the issue we're discussing either.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2008, 10:52:29 AM »

I just wanted to point that you can't say that something is like that just because people make bad thing with this thing at one time.

You can't say that Christianity is hateful, far, but on some times it had been used in hateful aims.

I would like the same thing to be said for Islam. The spirituality is not hateful but it is currently more and more gained by peoples in hateful aims.

From this, one more time, to the question: "Is Islam a hateful religion", I answer clearly: "No".

Well, OK, after we might not agree all the same. I would have tried to defend my point of view...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2008, 12:07:20 AM »

My argument for that statement is simply what a religion does for the people that follow it.  If the majority of the followers, regardless of the doctrine, are insane crazy nut cases..then in my opinion that certain religion isn't doing any favors for the people.  If the people following the faith are good people, then the religion is making a good impact on the lives of everyone.

Yep, pretty much the point I've been making. If the moderates are doing nothing to change the situation on the ground they are irrelevant and aren't even worth discussing.

The problem is that there is no centralized authority of any sort. The extremism, thus, isn't because of Islam. Whenever condidtions are bad, people turn to radicalism. In the Middle East, the easiest form is Islam. In Northern Ireland circa 1970, it was Christianity. It has to do with religion in general, not the religion itself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies