Why is homosexuality "bad" to some people?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:14:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why is homosexuality "bad" to some people?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Poll
Question: What homosexual action in homosexual relationships makes homosexuality "bad" or "wrong"?
The Actual Buttsex

The Annoyingness of the seeming obsession with Fashion, Interior Design, Performing Arts and general girlieness

If there's two men, then where's the vagina?

Simple. If people are gay, how will we be able to raise a large army or workforce?

The arbitrary will of God

Some Alternative Theory (which you will explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Why is homosexuality "bad" to some people?  (Read 22293 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2008, 12:25:10 PM »

I'm not coming to the conclusion of bigotry. I am just coming to the conclusion that people can no longer stand up for other people out of fear of allegations of "reverse discrimination".
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2008, 04:16:40 PM »

Just because he isn't on a Phelps or Falwell level of bigotry doesn't mean he isn't being a bigot.

And just because he isn't in political agreement with you doesn't make him a bigot either.
Yes, I didn't say it did, but making bigoted remarks does make him a bigot.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »

He has a deep prejudice against a group of people based on questionable reasons.  In my book, that makes him bigoted.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2008, 04:36:42 PM »

He has a deep prejudice against a group of people based on questionable reasons.  In my book, that makes him bigoted.

Indeed. You can be nice, but hold a bigoted opinion.

''A bigot is a person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own, and bigotry is the corresponding state of mind. Bigot is often used as a pejorative term against a person who is obstinately devoted to prejudices even when these views are challenged or proven to be false or not universally applicable or acceptable.''
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2008, 09:12:43 PM »

''A bigot is a person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own, and bigotry is the corresponding state of mind. Bigot is often used as a pejorative term against a person who is obstinately devoted to prejudices even when these views are challenged or proven to be false or not universally applicable or acceptable.''

By that vague definition probably 60% of all humans are bigots.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2008, 09:17:06 PM »

I believe it. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2008, 09:34:58 PM »

I believe it. 

That definition kind of washes out the the definition/negativity of the term. Wouldn't you say?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2008, 08:00:57 AM »

I believe it. 

That definition kind of washes out the the definition/negativity of the term. Wouldn't you say?

Sort of.  But how else would you define it?  Sure, there are "bigoted" people that are worse than others.  When you are denouncing an entire segment of the population in the face of sound, proven science, then I would call you bigoted.  It's not as if you came at the issue from an unbiased approach and studied it and then came to that conclusion.  He knew exactly what he thought about gays before he ever sought "evidence" to back up his opinion.  That is bigoted.

I never said being bigoted was uncommon or unforgivable.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2008, 10:29:55 AM »

I believe it. 

Just because every privileged harms the oppressed doesn't relieve them of responsibility for it.  Of course far more than 60% of whites are bigots, but it is a bit silly to apply the term to the oppressed races - the unpleasant effects only travel down the power pyramid, not up.
perdedor

« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2008, 02:29:46 PM »

As the pissy, liberal, elitist that I am, I'm convinced that rabid intolerance of homosexuality is a result of the human mind malfunctioning. Said simply, it's my belief that people who are so disturbed by homosexuality have brains that do not function correctly.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »

As the pissy, liberal, elitist that I am, I'm convinced that rabid intolerance of homosexuality is a result of the human mind malfunctioning. Said simply, it's my belief that people who are so disturbed by homosexuality have brains that do not function correctly.

I wouldn't go that far. Rather, I'd say that they are just giving into one of the basest human impulses: hatred of that which is different.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2008, 06:04:13 PM »

I wouldn't go that far. Rather, I'd say that they are just giving into one of the basest human impulses: hatred of that which is different.

Which is really just fear of the unknown if you want to simplify it further.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2008, 06:04:45 PM »

Why is homosexuality "bad" to some reason?

Religion.

The end.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2008, 07:09:13 PM »

Which is really just fear of the unknown if you want to simplify it further.

nailed it
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2008, 07:11:40 PM »

Well guys, if your society consists of 4 families in a yurt and the eldest male in one of the families is homosexual, there goes 25% of your long-term GDP.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2008, 08:35:34 PM »

Well guys, if your society consists of 4 families in a yurt and the eldest male in one of the families is homosexual, there goes 25% of your long-term GDP.

Depends whether there isn't some evolutionary advantage to having some adults without children (who might then help in the rearing of other children or leading non-family related endeavors such as hunting) in a tribe.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2008, 02:48:29 AM »

Said simply, it's my belief that people who are so disturbed by homosexuality have brains that do not function correctly.

Go away.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »

Religion.

The end.

Roll Eyes

You know I have a lot of respect for you but I can't respect such a wrong, simplistic conclusion.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2008, 11:59:37 AM »

Religion.

The end.

Roll Eyes

You know I have a lot of respect for you but I can't respect such a wrong, simplistic conclusion.

Please name ANY other cause.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »

Why is murder "bad" to some people?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2008, 01:30:07 PM »

Why is murder "bad" to some people?

Murder actually harms people.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2008, 01:36:43 PM »

Sure. But what authority ordains that it is "bad" to harm someone? That value judgment is just as arbitrary as condemnation of sexual deviancy.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2008, 01:40:13 PM »

Sure. But what authority ordains that it is "bad" to harm someone? That value judgment is just as arbitrary as condemnation of sexual deviancy.

Harm? The act of murder is to kill, to end the life of someone with no reversal of that fate. What is arbitrary about that?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2008, 01:40:55 PM »

no it isn't. By killing someone, you violate his right to life.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2008, 01:48:02 PM »

You're presupposing that there is a "right to life." That is an arbitrary value judgment, precisely as with condemnation of homosexuality.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies