For JMCFST, who asked (And anyone else who cares) LONG!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:57:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  For JMCFST, who asked (And anyone else who cares) LONG!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: For JMCFST, who asked (And anyone else who cares) LONG!!!  (Read 4266 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 06:14:54 PM »

You and I are almost in complete agreement.  All the Republicans you mention -- with the exeption of Little Lord George -- have definitely not been in the thrall of the religious right.
I couldn't disagree more about Bush Lite. 

and what theocratic laws has Bush43 proposed?

---

But I'm not going to keep quiet about a still-powerful movement with millions of adherants just because you want me to.  And I am sure you're not going to stop warning us about "the radical homosexual agenda" just because we wish you would.

I don't view the rush to embrace homosexuality as anything new, rather it is just a continuation of the sexual revolution of the 60's.  The value of marriage in this country has already been decimated by fornication and adultery and it is paraded day in and day out in tens of millions of living rooms through TV.

Does that mean I want to ban TV?  no.  Does that mean I want to ban those type of shows?  no.  We simply turn the channel.

But, regardless of my opposition to anything, whether it be sexual immorality or racism, one thing I will never buy into is the creation of a list of dirty laundry.

As it is written: "Love keeps no record of wrongs" (1Cor 13:5)

---

So let's ...hmm...  put a period to this discussion.

might as well, this is getting nowhere

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 08:10:36 AM »

It was really good to finally read your story.  Truly inspiring.

^^^^^

I'm extremely impressed. Thank you very much for taking the time to share all that information. If all people thought the way you do, the world would be a far far better place, I'm convinced.

To jmfcst: "If I don't agree with the pastor on TV, I turn him off." (or something similar)

How is someone supposed to develop an educated opinion if he isn't willing to listen to people he disagrees with? If you don't know about your opponents, it's nearly impossible to debate them properly. It's precisely JS's extremely large knowledge about Evangelical Christianity that gives him the moral authority...and ability...to criticize aspects of it with which he disagrees.

Instead of going on and on about his supposed "list", shouldn't you be thankful that he has informed himself to such an extent?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 01:56:02 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2008, 10:54:52 AM by jmfcst »

To jmfcst: "If I don't agree with the pastor on TV, I turn him off." (or something similar)

How is someone supposed to develop an educated opinion if he isn't willing to listen to people he disagrees with?

if depends on what they are saying.  If they're on TV trying to sale the favor of God in order to get people to send in money, the only education I am going to get by continuing to watch is learning how crazy they really are.

---

If you don't know about your opponents, it's nearly impossible to debate them properly.

1)  i didn't know I had "opponents"
2)  i don't think Pat Robertson would give anyone on this forum a chance to debate him.

---

It's precisely JS's extremely large knowledge about Evangelical Christianity that gives him the moral authority

really?  does it really take "extremely large knowledge about Evangelical Christianity" in order to refute idiotic statements?  If someone were to state that the moon was made of cheese,  I do NOT need to know the source of the statement in order to refute the statement.  In any case, knowledge about a group does not equate to moral authority.

---

...and ability...to criticize aspects of it with which he disagrees.

again, the ability to refute untruth come from the knowledge of truth, not knowledge of the ones spreading untruth.

For example, you yourself don't need to know anything about the identity of someone trying to tell you that 1+1=3 in order for you to dispute it. 

---

Instead of going on and on about his supposed "list"

supposed?  dude, he has posted it.  there is nothing supposed about it.

---

shouldn't you be thankful that he has informed himself to such an extent?

common sense....common sense...common sense...

common sense should tell you that enumerating the faults of others is NOT spiritually profitable. 

If you don't trust common sense, then spend a month listing the faults of others and see if you feel better at the end of that month.  Or, better yet, do the opposite - spend a month learning to forgive and erase the failures of others and I guanatee you will feel better about yourself and won't see others as such a threat.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 07:28:35 PM »

common sense should tell you that enumerating the faults of others is NOT spiritually profitable. 

And yet you are ranting about JSojourner. Take a deep breath.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 09:18:09 PM »

Your one of my favorite posters JSojourner, so thank oyu for sharing your story with us. I always find it interesting to learn what shapes people political views.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 09:26:41 AM »

Your one of my favorite posters JSojourner, so thank oyu for sharing your story with us. I always find it interesting to learn what shapes people political views.

Thanks!

I agree.  And even though it's clear Jmcfst and I can't stand each other, I have to admit -- when he opens up and just talks about himself, his family, his church and pastor -- I find I really like the guy.  There's a lot of good stuff there.  But my real objection to him is not his support for the religious right or the Republican Party.  It's his status as a Dallas Cowboy's fan.  There's no limit to the depths to which he will sink.  The only thing worse would be for him to declare allegiance to the Cleveland Browns.  <grin>
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 03:00:44 PM »

Thanks!

I agree.  And even though it's clear Jmcfst and I can't stand each other, I have to admit -- when he opens up and just talks about himself, his family, his church and pastor -- I find I really like the guy.  There's a lot of good stuff there.  But my real objection to him is not his support for the religious right or the Republican Party.  It's his status as a Dallas Cowboy's fan.  There's no limit to the depths to which he will sink.  The only thing worse would be for him to declare allegiance to the Cleveland Browns.  <grin>

He's a Cowboys fan?

Angry
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies