Do many Democrats refuse to live in suburbs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 03:16:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do many Democrats refuse to live in suburbs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do many Democrats refuse to live in suburbs?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Do many Democrats refuse to live in suburbs?  (Read 5433 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 12:22:37 PM »

If they're indistinguisable they're not really suburbs as we know them.

The parts of Minneapolis they border are basically suburban, as is almost all of Minneapolis south of Lake Street.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 12:23:17 PM »

What
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 12:24:44 PM »

this is what Minneapolis south of Lake Street looks like.

It's still extremely Democratic. The actual suburbs that look the same way aren't. Hence the question.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 12:25:30 PM »

Who cares?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 12:59:17 PM »

As everyone should know at this point, I live in a super-rich suburb. The reason it's so expensive is because of schools. My school is the sixth-best in the state according to standardized tests, and home prices in the school district are about $300-400K more than equivalent houses right outside the district. Yet I live in San Jose. OMG Shocked Huh

San Jose is a "super-rich" suburb?  Maybe you meant housing tract or something. Smiley

It's the very westernmost part, scrunched between Saratoga and Cupertino.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 05:24:14 PM »

Many Democrats can't afford to live in suburbs.  A big part of the reason cities are so Democratic is the ghetto.

That depends a heck of a lot on the city, and is just not true anymore in most of the Northeast and the West...

I didn't say it was the only reason. It's still a big reason in the NE. For the west substitute barrio for ghetto.
The more I think about BRTD's original premise, the more I think I agree with him. Suburban areas are largely new, meaning that people have chosen to move there from somewhere. It is mostly Republicans who are doing this, leaving cities more and more Democratic.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 05:26:49 PM »

For those with kids, it's driven by school districts.

There's a huge difference between the schools in Richfield and the schools in the super-wealthy parts of southwest Minneapolis? I doubt it.

Ummmm... No, probably not.  Is there a difference between the schools in SW Minneapolis and those in also-neighboring Edina?  Hell yeah.

There's a reason Minneapolis public schools are bleeding students like a stuck pig.. and despite the native born youth population of Edina plummeting, their district is gaining students.

For what you get, it's a better deal to live in a suburb.  In the city itself, you're getting crappier schools and higher crime and STILL paying higher taxes.  

Of course I think there is something fundamentally flawed with how it all works, but that doesn't stop a young family from weighing the pros and cons and choosing the suburbs (preferably an inner ring one now with public transit)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 09:35:27 PM »

That still doesn't explain why Republicans would care more about school districts.

I also don't understand why people rave about schools in their pro-suburb arguments. Why the f**k should I, a single, childless college graduate, care one iota about what school district I live in?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 09:56:05 PM »

That still doesn't explain why Republicans would care more about school districts.

I also don't understand why people rave about schools in their pro-suburb arguments. Why the f**k should I, a single, childless college graduate, care one iota about what school district I live in?

If you are buying property you better f***ing care. If you are renting it doesn't really make any sense and yeah perhaps you should live in the hood if you do not mind getting a stray bullet all up in yo face.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 09:58:22 PM »

If you are buying property you better f***ing care.

Not happening. For a very long time. As I said above, if I ever buy anything it'll be a loft. Homeownership isn't a big priority for your average 24 year old.

If you are renting it doesn't really make any sense and yeah perhaps you should live in the hood if you do not mind getting a stray bullet all up in yo face.

Where are the stray bullets? I've never encountered one in the city. Though I don't really live in the hood. I live in a white enclave surrounded by slums.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 10:03:05 PM »

Republicanness is correlated with having a family.
Having a family is correlated with wanting a good school system.
Ergo Republicanness is correlated with wanting a good school system.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol.  Priceless BRTD.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 10:08:13 PM »

Not happening. For a very long time. As I said above, if I ever buy anything it'll be a loft. Homeownership isn't a big priority for your average 24 year old.

If you are renting it doesn't really make any sense and yeah perhaps you should live in the hood if you do not mind getting a stray bullet all up in yo face.

Where are the stray bullets? I've never encountered one in the city. Though I don't really live in the hood. I live in a white enclave surrounded by slums.

Well you are right that it would not matter where you live when you are renting but it is always better to buy. If one day I have an opportunity to buy I will probably buy a condo even if I do not have a family. But yeah for now it would be interesting to live in the city but that is not always where the jobs are. For me the priority will be to stay close to my job as gas prices will continue to go through the roof. The city is a good place to visit and spend time in but not necessarily the best place to live.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 10:11:09 PM »

Well you are right that it would not matter where you live when you are renting but it is always better to buy. If one day I have an opportunity to buy I will probably buy a condo even if I do not have a family. But yeah for now it would be interesting to live in the city but that is not always where the jobs are. For me the priority will be to stay close to my job as gas prices will continue to go through the roof. The city is a good place to visit and spend time in but not necessarily the best place to live.

No it necessarily is the best place to live. What would I do if I lived in the suburbs? I'd be bored out of my mind. Plus I'd be driving to the city every time I wanted to do something fun which is hardly efficient either. My current situation (in the city 10 miles from my job.) fits me perfectly.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 10:14:09 PM »

BRTD will end up married and living in suburbia and going to a conservative church. He'll even join anti-strip club groups.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 10:14:36 PM »

Many Democrats can't afford to live in suburbs.  A big part of the reason cities are so Democratic is the ghetto.

That depends a heck of a lot on the city, and is just not true anymore in most of the Northeast and the West...

True to some extent, but not completely (at least not in the Northeast; it probably is very true in the Northwest and slightly less so in California).

New York City is an interesting example of this. Certainly the people of Manhattan could afford to live elsewhere but have stayed in or moved to Manhattan for its own intrinsic values. However, Manhattan has all of the advantages of a big city with few of the disadvantages (including public schools, which have come up a lot in this thread), except in the few neighborhoods where it is true that most of the population has difficulty moving elsewhere.

And Manhattan is at the extreme end of this; certainly The Bronx and most Queens and Brooklyn are not wealthy in the same manner as Manhattan, save in some few neighborhoods. Their residents might be able to move to areas immediately bordering New York City, say Hudson County, NJ or Mount Vernon, NY, but those locations would be considered urban anywhere except the NYC area anyway (and Hudson County contains many of the most densely populated municipalities in the country). And other cities in the Northeast (Philadelphia, Boston, Hartford, New Haven, Providence, Buffalo) are by and large more similar to Brooklyn than to Manhattan.

Additionally, a lot of it is inertia: People don't move unless there is relatively strong incentive to do so. The wealthy may have moved into the suburbs decades previously, and continue to do so when they are looking for space premiums. But for the poor and even lower middle class who may not stand to gain much by moving to an equally downtrodden suburb, moving is a complete waste of money. Again, Manhattan is the exception that proves the rule: The wealthy there are very Democratic, but they also have no incentive to move away, whereas the poor do (as rents and property values within Manhattan soar). These factors are not at play elsewhere in the Northeast and indeed are not in play in much of the rest of New York City, although they may be in time as Harlem and other poor areas of Manhattan wither into non-existence.

Eh, I hope that made sense.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 10:18:09 PM »

No it necessarily is the best place to live. What would I do if I lived in the suburbs? I'd be bored out of my mind. Plus I'd be driving to the city every time I wanted to do something fun which is hardly efficient either. My current situation (in the city 10 miles from my job.) fits me perfectly.

And maybe some people just like going to the city on the weekend and staying close to their workplace in the suburb the rest of the time. What the f*** is the problem with suburbs other than that they are family oriented? Why is that bad for you? Oh right the strip clubs......
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 10:20:58 PM »

And maybe some people just like going to the city on the weekend and staying close to their workplace in the suburb the rest of the time. What the f*** is the problem with suburbs other than that they are family oriented? Why is that bad for you? Oh right the strip clubs......

My job is in an inner-ring suburb but the vast majority of the people who work there live in Minneapolis or St. Paul (which is hardly a surprise considering no one who works there could ever afford to live in the suburb the job is in.) As for suburbs being family-oriented, that's the problem. Where's the fun for a single guy like me? That's why I see absolutely no reason to live in one and do not live in one.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 10:23:31 PM »

My job is in an inner-ring suburb but the vast majority of the people who work there live in Minneapolis or St. Paul (which is hardly a surprise considering no one who works there could ever afford to live in the suburb the job is in.) As for suburbs being family-oriented, that's the problem. Where's the fun for a single guy like me? That's why I see absolutely no reason to live in one and do not live in one.

Well if you had to work in an outer ring suburb would you live in an apartment in that suburb? Also why do you have to hate the suburbs? I understand it is not compatible with you but why the hate?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 10:26:35 PM »

Well if you had to work in an outer ring suburb would you live in an apartment in that suburb?

That's why when I was looking for a job I didn't look for any in outer-ring suburbs. It's not like there's any good jobs outside the I-494 loop in the Twin Cities area anyway.

Also why do you have to hate the suburbs? I understand it is not compatible with you but why the hate?

Because I've gotten sick about being harassed for a time period from roughly around when I graduated high school to when I moved to Minneapolis about I should live in one instead of Minneapolis and the whole city is a dangerous ghetto no sane person would live in, blah blah blah. And my disgust at the ignorance of suburbanites who actually BELIEVE that.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 10:33:33 PM »

Well if you had to work in an outer ring suburb would you live in an apartment in that suburb?

That's why when I was looking for a job I didn't look for any in outer-ring suburbs. It's not like there's any good jobs outside the I-494 loop in the Twin Cities area anyway.

Also why do you have to hate the suburbs? I understand it is not compatible with you but why the hate?

Because I've gotten sick about being harassed for a time period from roughly around when I graduated high school to when I moved to Minneapolis about I should live in one instead of Minneapolis and the whole city is a dangerous ghetto no sane person would live in, blah blah blah. And my disgust at the ignorance of suburbanites who actually BELIEVE that.

Yeah just like you safety is not too much of a concern for me but I still would not like to live in Oakland for example. I would love to live in SF but again paying that much just does not make sense. The south bay is mostly suburbs but they have good food. Berkeley and Santa cruz are the two "cities" I would consider living in. In southern california everything is a suburb so  Irvine is good enough for me.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008, 10:35:03 PM »

Yeah just like you safety is not too much of a concern for me but I still would not like to live in Oakland for example. I would love to live in SF but again paying that much just does not make sense. The south bay is mostly suburbs but they have good food. Berkeley and Santa cruz are the two "cities" I would consider living in. In southern california everything is a suburb so  Irvine is good enough for me.

In the Twin Cities you have two ghetto areas in Minneapolis, a bunch of interesting parts and not all that expensive parts of Minneapolis and St. Paul, and a bunch of bland, cookie-cutter, boring as hell suburbs. The cities are the obvious best place.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2008, 10:35:06 PM »

Does anyone still take BRTD seriously?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2008, 10:36:06 PM »

Does anyone still take BRTD seriously?

I have a tough time believing you would enjoy the Twin Cities suburbs.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2008, 10:40:05 PM »

I wouldn't enjoy any of Minnesota. Too cold plus culturally wrong plus the demographics fail.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2008, 12:29:02 AM »

there are obviously no goddamned democrats in fairfax va...or suffolk ny...or macomb mi.

brtd/..you are the KEWELEST!!!   OBAMA IS THE BEST@!!134398
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies