GOP insiders starting to get upset with McCain's "aimless" campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:49:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  GOP insiders starting to get upset with McCain's "aimless" campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GOP insiders starting to get upset with McCain's "aimless" campaign  (Read 2351 times)
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2008, 11:15:12 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11474.html

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:18:28 AM »

The good thing for McCain is that despite this...he is running roughly even...which means he can still pull ahead again.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 11:32:48 AM »

McCain has been designated to the back pages since he locked things up on Super Tuesday and he never recovered. By watching TV, you would think Obama was the only one in this race. It really is amazing that McCain is only trailing by 5 points or so, considering how hard the media has pushed Obama.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 11:47:25 AM »

McCain has been designated to the back pages since he locked things up on Super Tuesday and he never recovered. By watching TV, you would think Obama was the only one in this race. It really is amazing that McCain is only trailing by 5 points or so, considering how hard the media has pushed Obama.

Ha, yeah sure and all that press has been 100% positive, right?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 11:48:43 AM »

Well, AHDuke is right. All I see at night is "OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA" "OMABA SAID THIS...OBAMA WANTS TO DO THIS...QUESTIONS ABOUT OBAMA THIS AND OBAMA THAT"

..."and John McCain campaigned in Harrisburg, PA."
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:53:05 AM »

It should be expected that Obama would receive more media coverage due to the fact that he is the first black major party nominee. I'm not sure why people are surprised about this.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:55:18 AM »

Well, McCain is changing the top dog:

From the Politico

July 02, 2008
Categories: McCain

Schmidt takes control of day-to-day operation

Steve Schmidt is taking over the day-to-day operation of John McCain’s campaign, according to multiple campaign sources.

At a staff meeting in the campaign's Arlington, Va., headquarters this morning, campaign manager Rick Davis made the announcement about Schmidt's new role.

Schmidt, a bald and barrel-chested operative known for his aggressive brand of political combat, responded by exhorting campaign aides with a speech that one staffer likened to a locker room pep talk out of the football movie "Rudy."

After the meeting, on a regularly scheduled conference call with McCain's 11 regional campaign managers, senior staff briefed the field aides about the move, explaining Davis would focus more on long-range tasks while Schmidt was taking an enhanced daily role, said an indivdual on the call.

McCain sources say Schmidt, who ran Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's reelection campaign and was a top communications aide in Bush-Cheney '04, will coordinate the campaign's daily pro-McCain and anti-Obama message but also will have an increased role in shaping most every facet of the organization including scheduling, policy, coalitions and surrogates.

Davis will focus more on big-picture issues such as general strategy, helping to plan the convention, picking a vice president and tending to the needs of major donors.

Schmidt has been serving as a senior McCain adviser for months and had recently returned to headquarters to help bolster the Republican nominee's message operation.

The move comes a year to the day after McCain laid off dozens of staffers as part of a cost-cutting measure that what would ultimately spur a major overhaul of his campaign.

Now, accounts diverge on the exact nature of the new chain of command. One top McCain source said that Schmidt "assumed full operational control of the campaign today" and described Davis as "a general manager."

But Charlie Black, another top adviser, said Davis was still in charge.

"Steve is going to function under Rick as a [chief operating officer]," Black said. "Rick still has authority over all things. Steve works for Rick."

But Black made sure to not diminish Schmidt's elevated role in the campaign.

"He'll be the maestro who conducts the symphony," Black said of Schmidt's position in driving McCain's message.

Yet McCain sources say Schmidt's imprint will be felt beyond a campaign message that, until recently, had not been clearly defined.

A handful of his fellow Bushworld veterans are also taking on more high-profile roles.

Mike DuHaime, the former Rudy Giuliani campaign manager and RNC political director who had been split between the RNC and McCain, is likely to take an enhanced role in the campaign.

Further, there is likely to be more structure brought to a political operation that has largely been delegated to the Regional Campaign Managers. The campaign currently has no political or field director.

Helping Schmidt drive the new daily message will be Matt McDonald, also a veteran of the Schwarzenegger campaign and Bush-Cheney reelection effort, who just started at the campaign a few weeks ago.

McDonald is working with McCain's press shop in trying to get on offense, sharpening attacks on Obama and pushing a more consistent narrative against the Democrat.

Also coming on board is Taylor Griffin, a former White House and Treasury spokesman, to work closely with reporters and push the campaign's economic message.

Perhaps most important for the campaign's image is the addition of Greg Jenkins, a veteran advanceman who ran presidential advance in the Bush White House. Jenkins, also an aide on Bush's 2000 campaign, is working to ensure better stagecraft of McCain's events and to avoid a reprisal of the much-mocked green background behind McCain at a high-profile speech last month.

One source familiar with the inner workings of McCain's campaign said that the move came after a sluggish ramp-up to the general and number of unforced errors had left the candidate, senior staff and elected officials unhappy with the state of the campaign. 

"This will help reassure the chattering class in D.C.," said the source.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »

I don't see how it is "aimless."  He's been going around making speeches on all the major topics, creating his foundation for his general election campaign.  Obama is doing the same ... as do many other candidates in their position during the Summer months.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 12:59:33 PM »

I don't see how it is "aimless."  He's been going around making speeches on all the major topics, creating his foundation for his general election campaign.  Obama is doing the same ... as do many other candidates in their position during the Summer months.

He did sort of take forever to find a cohesive narrative against Obama, at least to me.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »

yeah i would kind of agree with this if he wants to win he needs to get his campaign moving. maybe some of it is just because Obama's doing so well.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »

The election has been about Obama so far. If you look at this board on a given day, there will be 9 or 10 threads about Obama for every one about McCain. In fact, I'd wager that many low information voters don't even know who McCain is. If McCain has to run as the anti-Obama he's likely to lose for the same reason that Kerry lost running as the anti-Bush: you have to be FOR something; it's not enough to be AGAINST something.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 01:48:46 PM »

Most of it was. I'm not sure how many independent studies need to come out to convince you, but that's a fact. I think most everyone would agree that Obama receives much more press McCain. You're just hacking yourself up arguing otherwise.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 01:50:54 PM »

McCain has no vision. There are two things keeping him in contention:

1) The fact the McCain was prisoner of war in Vietnam, which reaffirms his heroism and a patriotism. His military service alone doesn't necessarily count for much

2) The myth that a docile, complicit media has been peddling all these years that McCain is a maverick

Of course, there are factors which could explain why Obama isn't running away with it

Dave
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 01:58:02 PM »

Most of it was. I'm not sure how many independent studies need to come out to convince you, but that's a fact. I think most everyone would agree that Obama receives much more press McCain. You're just hacking yourself up arguing otherwise.

http://vodpod.com/watch/818235-the-daily-show-baracknophobia

Bull. You'd never see any of these types allegations leveled against McCain.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »

By the way, nice discussion style. "My opinion is fact. Your a hack if you don't agree."
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 02:01:53 PM »

It should be expected that Obama would receive more media coverage due to the fact that he is the first black major party nominee. I'm not sure why people are surprised about this.
Also he is younger, more charismatic, more modern etc and also is in the party that is liked more this year.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 03:21:23 PM »

He obviously has a vision.  You're just not hearing the "I'M GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD" kinda hype that you normally get from candidates.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 03:23:19 PM »

He obviously has a vision.  You're just not hearing the "I'M GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD" kinda hype that you normally get from candidates.

I think he was talking about the fact that McCain is probably in the early stages of developing caterax. Tongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 03:34:50 PM »

I think he was talking about the fact that McCain is probably in the early stages of developing caterax. Tongue

So THAT'S why he squints.  hahaha . . . I thought it was the prune juice.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »

So THAT'S why he squints.  hahaha . . . I thought it was the prune juice.

Obama seems to squint alot too...but that's not important. What is important is how people diss prunes. They taste great! So do figs and dried cranberries and other fruits.
politicaltipster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 04:12:39 PM »

McCain's campaign has stunk. McCain had a big chance to hit Obama on Wrightgate, Bittergate, his previous comments on Iran and now slumlordgate. However, he has allowed Obama to rebrand himself as a centrist. In the hands on a Morris or a Carville Slumlordgate alone would have sunk Obama - instead it has got next to no coverage. McCain has also allowed the Fred Thompson and Mitt Romney wing of the GOP to act like they won the primary.

I'm not too pessimistic because the fact that McCain is only 6% behind given his dismal campaign gives one hope for when his campaign does get its ass into gear but Rick Davis' ass should have been grass a long time ago.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 04:26:35 PM »

McCain's campaign has stunk. McCain had a big chance to hit Obama on Wrightgate, Bittergate, his previous comments on Iran and now slumlordgate. However, he has allowed Obama to rebrand himself as a centrist. In the hands on a Morris or a Carville Slumlordgate alone would have sunk Obama - instead it has got next to no coverage. McCain has also allowed the Fred Thompson and Mitt Romney wing of the GOP to act like they won the primary.

I'm not too pessimistic because the fact that McCain is only 6% behind given his dismal campaign gives one hope for when his campaign does get its ass into gear but Rick Davis' ass should have been grass a long time ago.

I have a headache and no desire to say something substantial about this post.  I'll just say this instead: can we please retire the "-gate" suffix?  Please?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 04:37:27 PM »

Well, its about time someone said something.  McCain used to be one of the greatest campaigners in the US... what the Hell happened?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 05:31:49 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 05:32:33 PM »

Well, its about time someone said something.  McCain used to be one of the greatest campaigners in the US... what the Hell happened?

The straight talk express got replaced with the straight bullsh**t derailed, and he got 8 years older.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies