New U.K Demographic Maps Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 11:42:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New U.K Demographic Maps Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: New U.K Demographic Maps Thread  (Read 61894 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2009, 01:50:07 PM »

This a map of Class 1: Professional and Managerial for Scotland. The data has been gruped by quintiles with the top and bottom 5% grouped seperately.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2009, 06:13:19 PM »

Poorest SOA's to be found in a belt stretching from Nechells and Duddeston to Sparkbrook and Balsall Heath. This area is (you will note) also home to some of the most Kashmiri SOA's in the city (though the overlap is certainly not total). There's another cluster north of the city centre; including parts of the area once known as Summer Lane. Richest areas are in Sutton Coldfield and in Harborne proper.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »

No surprises as the poorest SOA's cover the area around Toxteth while the richest covers bits of Woolton and Allerton.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2009, 06:25:49 AM »

Poorest SOA's cover Moss Side and the area sometimes called "East Manchester". No surprises there then. Richest SOA is Didsbury. No surprises there, either.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »

London (GLA area). Yeah. This took a while.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2009, 04:52:11 PM »

I presume that most posters here are fairly familar with London, but just in case...

The richest areas (according to the model) are (in no particular order)...

a) Hampstead

b) The City of London

c) The predictable Bourgeois Blob of Chelsea, South Kensington, Knightsbridge, etc.

d) South Battersea/Balham

e) Wimbledon proper

d) Richmond-upon-Thames proper and a bit of northern Twickenham.

While the poorest is (of course) Bromley-by-Bow - in a league of its own really.

Notable concentrations of poorer SOA's include...

a) the inevitable East End concentration - all the way from Stepney and parts of Hackney to East Ham.

b) Northern Tottenham

c) Inner South London from Brixton to Deptford.

Then you've random ones scattered all over, in Charlton, Stonebridge, Finsbury Park...
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2009, 06:17:37 AM »

That map is amazing - well done!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2009, 06:45:07 AM »

^^^
Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2009, 12:52:19 PM »

More fun with experimental statistics... these stuff on lifestyle... how accurate they are I'm really not sure. Regardless, the fun is actually at lower level. But for now:

The local authorities used are those of 2007 (a load have since been amalgamated into UA's - Durham, Northumberland, Cornwall, Wiltshire, Shropshire. Sort of Bedfordshire also, I think). The local authority map is a modified Boothroyd map.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »

Is there data that can be turned into a map to prove or disprove the following?

The lower the average income, the higher the obesity incidence?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2009, 01:27:25 PM »

great maps! Smiley
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2009, 01:35:40 PM »

That Binge Drinking map can't be right. One might as well draw a line in the middle of England.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2009, 02:19:41 PM »

That Binge Drinking map can't be right. One might as well draw a line in the middle of England.

Yeess... that one does look a little dodgy. They must have used regional figures a lot in the model.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2009, 02:25:57 PM »

Btw, Staffordshire "winning" the obesity map does seem plausible - I know it well and they like their food a lot. You might think that somewhere known for oatcakes would eat in a healthy way, but you'd be wrong. Oh, and I think extreme west of Suffolk is probably due to all the Americans there. Corby, of course, is full of Scots - the people that brought the world the deep fried mars bar. And who also make oatcakes. Hmm.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2009, 08:28:08 PM »

Which is the local authority with a 0-10% binge drinking rate? I notice it also has a very low (10-15%) incidence of smoking?
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2009, 08:41:37 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2009, 09:05:02 AM by Ronnie the Bear »

Which is the local authority with a 0-10% binge drinking rate? I notice it also has a very low (10-15%) incidence of smoking?

That's Harrow, which is relatively affluent is about 1/4 south Asian (of which most are of Indian origin and/or are Hindus).

Edit: Come to think of it, Harrow problably has the highest percentage of doctors of any local authority. (Actually, I think there might be something in the census that could prove/disprove this).

2nd Edit: I checked the figures for % of 'Health Professionals' and Harrow is higher than average (1.5%) but is beaten by other London boroughs like Camden and Barnet (both over 2%). Talking out my arse!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »

Yeess... that one does look a little dodgy. They must have used regional figures a lot in the model.
It does make a certain amount of sense to have that one the least directly income correlated of these maps.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2009, 08:46:05 AM »

Oh, and I think extreme west of Suffolk is probably due to all the Americans there.

Yes I noticed that, but you'd think American service personnel would be less obese than average!
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2009, 08:49:13 AM »

Btw, Staffordshire "winning" the obesity map does seem plausible - I know it well and they like their food a lot. You might think that somewhere known for oatcakes would eat in a healthy way, but you'd be wrong. Oh, and I think extreme west of Suffolk is probably due to all the Americans there. Corby, of course, is full of Scots - the people that brought the world the deep fried mars bar. And who also make oatcakes. Hmm.

That and poor people tend to eat more junk food. I think parts of Glasgow have very high heart disease rates.

Great maps, Al!
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »

Oh, and I think extreme west of Suffolk is probably due to all the Americans there.

Yes I noticed that, but you'd think American service personnel would be less obese than average!

Remember dependent families and civilian contractors are there too.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2009, 09:06:25 AM »

It does make a certain amount of sense to have that one the least directly income correlated of these maps.

Oh, you just wait until I get some SOA level maps of the binge drinking one up. Hilarious.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2009, 10:55:52 AM »

Oh, you just wait until I get some SOA level maps of the binge drinking one up. Hilarious.

Include Brighton & Hove (or give me the link to the data)!  Smiley
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2009, 11:36:16 AM »

Include Brighton & Hove (or give me the link to the data)!  Smiley

Plus Havering!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2009, 12:36:55 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2009, 12:41:02 PM by Comrade Sibboleth »

Brighton and Hove. I don't know the place very well, so maybe someone else could comment. Cough. Grin
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2009, 04:02:01 PM »

Smoking: highest figures are exactly where you'd expect them to be - white estates. Posh areas have the lowest figures. The low figures in Asian areas are worth noting. Also high figures were the some of the students live.

Binge Drinking: guess where the students live, lol. Other than... that... it appears that Muslims don't drink much. How shocking. White estates have relatively high figures (as do some random mixed areas with, sigh, large Irish populations) but nothing like smoking. On behalf of someone who came out well in my dissertation, I'm pleased to note that Bournville has lower figures than all it's neighbouring SOA's.

Obesity: class is obviously a factor here, but there's something else going on - Hodge Hill proper (a middle class suburb) is actually, er, heavier than the neighbouring swathes of East Birmingham estateland that dominate the parliamentary constituency that bears Hodge Hill's name. Highest rates are in Castle Vale - a grim and giant 1960's estate built to house the last of the slum dwellers (they got a great deal, didn't they!!!!!111)

Fruit and Veg: there's a funny cresent taking in both posh areas like Edgbaston, the muesli-belt around Moseley and places like Bordesley Green and Saltley (ie; majority Kashmiri). Lowest rates are in white estates and in certain inner city areas with large (for Birmingham) black populations.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies