Algeria
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:23:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Algeria
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Algeria  (Read 7969 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2004, 04:22:09 PM »

Anyone know anything about Algeria? i am representing them in a model United Nations, i have to research the country, i am in the Economic, Technological, Environmental and Health committee....
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 04:38:17 PM »

They have Islamic extremists who murder people in gross ways in small villages, and they broke off from France after a long and bloody war, after which the French-born Algerians tried to murder the French president Charles de Gaulle, which gave birth to one of the best thrillers ever written, 'Day of the Jackal', by Frederick Forsythe. That's all I know, though... Sad
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 04:39:23 PM »

so nothing about the fields i am involved in? Sad darn, anyone know a good website for stuff like this? other than CIA world factbook
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 04:40:39 PM »

so nothing about the fields i am involved in? Sad darn, anyone know a good website for stuff like this? other than CIA world factbook

Something like Encyclopedia Brittanica maybe?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 04:45:40 PM »

maybe, you got a link for their website? also is it free to use?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 04:46:44 PM »

maybe, you got a link for their website? also is it free to use?

I think it's free, since I used at some point...I don't remember the exact adress, but if you pick a search engine and search for encyclopedia brittanica, their home page should come up first.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 04:54:50 PM »

here you go, and it says that it's free:

http://www.britannica.com/
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 04:56:51 PM »

thanks gustaf, much obliged
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 04:58:04 PM »

No problem, I know what you're going through...I had to represent France in a model UN for school last year...it was pretty funny though. Smiley
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 05:00:11 PM »

i would have much rather got a country that i know a little bit about, i would rather my school have got USA as that is a country I at least know a lot about, even if I don't agree with current government policies. This is an inter-school thing, not just my school, and that was one of our 2 countries - the other being Kiribati.....
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 05:02:13 PM »

nope, you gotta pay for it

http://www.britannica.com/needmore/

it wants an annual subscription fee Sad
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 05:24:03 PM »

nope, you gotta pay for it

http://www.britannica.com/needmore/

it wants an annual subscription fee Sad

Oh, sorry then. It said free when I found it, but I now I can't get back into it again... Sad

Don't your school have access to these kind of things? I remember mine did...maybe you could access the UN's page, that's what we did when we did the UN thing. It has information on what different countries do in the UN, politically. I could try and dig that up for you.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 05:24:31 PM »

that would be great thanks Cheesy
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 05:29:27 PM »

OK, here we go...this is the address of Algeria's permanent mission to the UN, it should have records of their statements and votes in the UN, hope it can be of help...

http://www.algeria-un.org/
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 05:36:06 PM »

thanks a bunch gustaf!!! Much Appreciated!!!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2004, 05:44:55 PM »

thanks a bunch gustaf!!! Much Appreciated!!!

You're welcome...I hope this one will be of more help to you...when I did this I had to represent France in a debate on AIDS, and I immediately stumbled across a month-old speech by Chirac to the general assembly on AIDS...guess if I felt lucky! Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2004, 10:26:12 PM »

Anyone know anything about Algeria? i am representing them in a model United Nations, i have to research the country, i am in the Economic, Technological, Environmental and Health committee....
Economic: Once one of the richer places in the Arab world, it was pretty much stripped clean by the French and the remainder was ruined by a number of civil wars. (The one for independence, the one right after, the one in the nineties...)
I hear Algerian immigrants in Europe, unlike Moroccans, tend not to send any money back, which is a very bad sign because it basically menas they' re just glad to have gotten out and have no intention ever to return (There's no regrets, no tears goodbye, I don't want you back...)
Environmental: Well, there's a coastal plain, and mountains, and a large desert. No oil, though.
Health: Just like almost everywhere across the Muslim world, AIDS isn't a problem yet.

Oh, and on those terrorists. In 1991, the army stepped down from power and allowed free elections on the French model (one member seats with runoffs). When the results of the first round had the Islamists almost certain to win, they stepped right in. That triggered the civil war.
The "Islamists who slaughter whole villages" are, or at least were in the beginning, the country's own secret service trying to wreck the Islamists' popular support and also to scatter their unity (by setting up their own, more radical groups). It worked, except that they were soon out of control...A number of these radical Islamist groupings now have ties to Al-Qaeda.
An uneasy peace has now returned to most of the country, and the army is back in the driving seat. They were trying to hold a free election for president some while back (two years maybe?) but the three official opposition candidates all withdrew days before the election to protest against the rigged election rolls and widespread intimidation. So it ended up a yes-no vote.
M

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2004, 11:55:09 PM »

I have consistently found http://www.freedomhouse.org/research/freeworld/2003/countries.htm to be the premier resource for the "inside scoop" on what's really going on in nations, especially dictatorial or partially dictatorial ones.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2004, 03:58:38 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2005, 07:57:35 AM by Peter Bell »

I've heard that of secret service groups too, but I thought that there wre Islamists doing it eventually, and that the secret service thing was never proved...but it was off the top of my head, I haven't heard from Algeria in a long time...
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2004, 07:14:50 AM »

No oil? i read in CIA world factbook they had quite a lot of oil, one of the top in the world, lots of natural gas too.....
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2004, 07:45:35 AM »

No oil? i read in CIA world factbook they had quite a lot of oil, one of the top in the world, lots of natural gas too.....

I was writing from the top of my head, and I've had some doubts on this statement since...So if they say there is oil, then there probably is...Or maybe there's lots of reserves precisely because relatively little gets to the market right now...
Oh, on the terrorists: No, it's not quite a proven fact as far as I know. These things are almost impossible to prove without access to documents. My understanding was that this is pretty much an agreed fact though. I should also make clear that this doesn't mean every GIA Islamist who killed in that war was a Secret Service Agent. Now that would be an extreme and absurd statement...obviously they've found ordinary people to recruit.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2004, 07:57:07 AM »

The hydrocarbons sector is the backbone of the economy, accounting for roughly 60% of budget revenues, 30% of GDP, and over 95% of export earnings. Algeria has the fifth-largest reserves of natural gas in the world and is the second-largest gas exporter; it ranks 14th in oil reserves

CIA world factbook.....
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2004, 12:16:35 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2005, 07:58:19 AM by Peter Bell »

OK then, you seems to know more about Algeria than I do anyway... Sad

I need to start follow the news again... Wink
Pages: [1]