Opinion of Pope John Paul II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:56:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Pope John Paul II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Opinion of Pope John Paul II  (Read 5699 times)
aussieboy
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 06:32:18 PM »

FF. I especially agree with his actions within the Church - giving apology where due, but not being afraid to be orthodox against heretics of the right and left.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 12:16:36 AM »

FF. I especially agree with his actions within the Church - giving apology where due, but not being afraid to be orthodox against heretics of the right and left.

Hmmmm... looks like you and I are going to get along.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 06:00:34 PM »

Great discussion about Latin America.  I don't particularly care for Opebo's characterization of the United States in his op, but I think he probably had Guatemala in mind.  Efrain Rios Montt was a very outspoken Protestant Evangelical -- a Pentecostal, I think, but I could be wrong.  He used his faith, not unlike the "good Christians" in Uganda's "Lord's Resistance Army" to perpetuate terror and murder across his country.

Often, Roman Catholic priests and nuns stood in opposition to Rios-Montt.  And paid for it. 

Still, let's be completely candid here.  No church, denomination or religion is without its shameful, embarassing and even brutal adherants.  Any person whose faith instructs them to hate people, deny human beings basic human rights, discriminate against minority religions or other groups or use violence as a means of bringing about some sort of apocalypse is a sick and shameful example of "a person of faith".  I don't care if they are Evangelical Christian, Roman Catholic, mainline Protestant, Muslim or Hindu.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies