a GOP wild card for 2008...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:03:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  a GOP wild card for 2008...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: a GOP wild card for 2008...  (Read 4559 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2004, 12:18:43 PM »

senator lindsey graham of sc?

what do yall think?

fun fact:  graham and john edwards were born in the same hospital.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 04:44:19 PM »

You might not believe this, but yesterday on the 2008 thread (the other one) I almost mentioned Graham. I'm not even sure why he came to mind, but then I was like... nah, no one would take that seriously.

He's surprised a lot of skeptics by being a very effective Senator.

I think he may have some private-life issues that could hinder him in seeking the White House, though I'm low on specifics.
zachman

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 04:45:41 PM »

Lindsay Graham is one of the Republicans I respect, although he has as bad a name as Orrin Hatch.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 06:01:23 PM »

graham is a maverick, but not in an annoying egotistical way like chuck hagel and john mccain.

i really like graham.  he may not run in 08.  he is still a very young guy.  i dont think he is even 50 years old yet.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 09:10:02 PM »

I can't see Lindsey running for President in 2008.  He'll be a one term Senator, whose Senate seat will be up for reelection.  By 2012 he will have had a chance to build enough of a power base in the Senate to be able to run.  2016 would be awkward if he ran for reelection to the Senate in 2014.  In 2020, he could pull a Bob Graham and decide to run for President while not running for relection to the Senate after having served three terms there.  2024 is probably the last chance he could have for a Presidential run.  He'd be 69 then and could make it.

However Graham doesn't have any executive experience on his political resume.  That's a serious lack in any Presidential candidate.  The current South Carolinian with the best shot at winning the Presidency outright (instead of as an inheriting VP) is probably Gov. Sanford, especially if Inez manages to bump off DeMint.  He'll be term limited in 2010 and if he were to run against Inez in 2010, he'd win.  By 2020 he'd be nearing the end of his second term, and all  four of his kids would be old enough to be used as candidate surogates on the rubber chicken circuits of Iowa and New Hampshire.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 09:18:11 PM »

Zel Miller.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length