OH: Public Policy Polling: Obama with a huge lead over McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:57:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  OH: Public Policy Polling: Obama with a huge lead over McCain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: OH: Public Policy Polling: Obama with a huge lead over McCain  (Read 2838 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 02:35:06 PM »

CARL,

PPP is not an accurate polling firm based on what?

PPP didn't poll in the 2004 Presidential.  In the 2008 Primary, they stumbled toward the end (especially with Pennsylvania) but they still beat Strategic Vision, who was very good in 2004.  I don't think we should reject pollsters based on primary results.  I think PPP is untested and results like this make me skeptical, but it is too early to say that this is "not a very accurate polling firm."
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 02:37:46 PM »

CARL,

PPP didn't poll in the 2004 Presidential.  In the 2008 Primary, they stumbled toward the end (especially with Pennsylvania) but they still beat Strategic Vision, who was very good in 2004.  I don't think we should reject pollsters based on primary results.  I think PPP is untested and results like this make me skeptical, but it is too early to say that this is "not a very accurate polling firm."

That is what I was trying to say, but no one listens or care what I say.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 02:40:03 PM »

It is a poll of likely voters. It is not a poll of registered voters.

In the primary the democrats had double the turnout of the Republicans in OH. Does that mean there are twice as many democrats as republicans in OH and therefore McCain is screwed? No. The two things have nothing to do with each other.

It's not a joke poll just because it shows a drop-off in black support or Republicans may be less likely to vote or you don't like the ultimate result. They're trying to capture a reality, not conform to pre-conceived notions of what you think the polling results should show.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 02:42:36 PM »

No way this is right; just like the poll in Minnesota that shows Obama +1 in MN.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 02:43:58 PM »

The internals of this poll are pretty messed up. Obama only leads by 1% among 18-29 year olds but leads by double digits in the next age bracket? Makes no sense.

Obama might lead by only 1% among youth in Idaho.  If you take out Sun Valley.

I agree with Scoonie.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »

The internals of this poll are pretty messed up. Obama only leads by 1% among 18-29 year olds but leads by double digits in the next age bracket? Makes no sense.

Obama might lead by only 1% among youth in Idaho.  If you take out Sun Valley.

I agree with Scoonie.

I think that is due to summer time and most younger people aren't home, they are off enjoying the summer else where.
RJ
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 03:27:38 PM »

Second, I do believe Obama will carry Ohio in November.

Third, expect the Margin of Victory there to be on the order of five per cent.

Oh no, Obama's doomed. CARLHAYDEN predicted victory for him.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 03:36:46 PM »

This poll is largely crap, but I don't think young people are so overwhelmingly for Obama that slight leads are unbelievable.  Young people are getting active in Obama's campaign, but activists aren't people.

There are a number of under-30's who, while a minority, are more inspired by John McCain's story of service to his country than Obama's record in the Illinois legislature.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 03:40:02 PM »

There are a number of under-30's who, while a minority, are more inspired by John McCain's story of service to his country than Obama's record in the Illinois legislature.

Forgive me. Is that the point of the election, to vote for a candidate who inspires you?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 04:09:49 PM »

Forgive me. Is that the point of the election, to vote for a candidate who inspires you?

No no no, the point is to vote for the candidate with the best platitudes like "hope" and "change".
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 04:19:14 PM »

No no no, the point is to vote for the candidate with the best platitudes like "hope" and "change".
So, I take it you supported Gore and Kerry in 2000 and 2004 then? After all, they were the substantive, experienced candidates; Bush was inexperienced and full of vague platitudes, like compassionate conservatism.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 05:26:04 PM »

CARL,

First, the composition (demographics of the base were just plain wierd).

Second, when Tom was called on it, he defended it on the basis that its only slightly greater a spread (party id) that Survey USA!

Third, if you consider SUSA to be accurate, I suggest you review the posts of Vorlon and myself of their record.

Fourth, if you check state polls (outside of North Carolina, where PPC is competent), you will see they generally track well to the left of the field.  They had some really weird polls in California last year.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 05:33:39 PM »

CARL,

First, the composition (demographics of the base were just plain wierd).

Second, when Tom was called on it, he defended it on the basis that its only slightly greater a spread (party id) that Survey USA!

Third, if you consider SUSA to be accurate, I suggest you review the posts of Vorlon and myself of their record.

Fourth, if you check state polls (outside of North Carolina, where PPC is competent), you will see they generally track well to the left of the field.  They had some really weird polls in California last year.

They never polled California before.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 05:36:44 PM »

Doesn't Ohio have a higher than usual number of Black Republicans?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 05:36:48 PM »

CARL,

SUSA did excellently for this primary.  Similarly, Rasmussen blew 2000.  Good pollsters can have bad years, and good pollsters have bad polls in good years.  I think this is a bad poll.  PPP does not have enough of a record with General Election polling to give them "bad pollster"status quite yet.  As hilarious as their Pennsylvania primary poll was, we can see from SurveyUSA the dangers of projecting that to the General, as you yourself said.  Smiley

Can you provide a link to these California polls?  I think you're confusing PPP with PPI, but I may be wrong.  I don't remember any PPP polls before this year, and I don't know what they'd have been polling in California in 2007 -- initiatives?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 05:44:10 PM »

garbage sample size
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 05:47:31 PM »

So, I take it you supported Gore and Kerry in 2000 and 2004 then? After all, they were the substantive, experienced candidates; Bush was inexperienced and full of vague platitudes, like compassionate conservatism.

Who needs facts or reality? Not Don!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 05:47:45 PM »

Not at all...

This poll has some obvious apparent flaws, but that isn't one of them
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2008, 05:57:02 PM »

Sure, this poll has some problems, but I do see Obama as the favorite in Ohio.  McCain better work hard to get this state back into his aisle.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2008, 06:03:16 PM »

Database link: https://uselectionatlas.org/POLLS/PRESIDENT/2008/pollsa.php?action=indpoll&id=3920080615108
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2008, 10:04:57 PM »

George W. Bush was twice elected Governor of Texas and had a comprehensive agenda.  Compassionate Conservatism is not a platitude like "hope", it is an ideology that I still very much subscribe to.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies