Are you an NDN Democrat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:52:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are you an NDN Democrat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Are you an NDN Democrat?  (Read 3473 times)
NDN
Uganda

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2008, 01:46:48 PM »
« edited: June 25, 2008, 04:01:01 AM by Blue Dog »

Modified my views into sound bites for a game on this site. With the exception of gay marriage (which was only slightly edited), everything is the same as on there. How much do you agree with?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Edit: Changed things slightly.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 02:16:34 PM »

Not much, actually.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:18:54 PM »

Actually, I could see myself voting for you.  There are only a couple of points where we separate greatly and Health Care is the only one of those that matters.  I'd probably still vote Libertarian out of principal, but I'm sure I could be swayed by a good speaker with those views.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 02:22:51 PM »

I agree with most of that, yeah.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 03:07:17 PM »

Yes, that works. A little concerned over the vagueness of your Union and Abortion policy, though.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 03:45:58 PM »

I'd vote for you over a Republican, but I'd probably look for a more progressive Democrat in the primary.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 05:47:45 PM »

Oddly I might agree more with angry weasel.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 05:48:25 PM »

NDN's views are probably the closest to mine that mainstream america would elect unfortunately so yes.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 06:16:15 PM »

My answers in bold.

//Abortion

Some restrictions on abortion. Ban partial birth abortions except to save mother's life.

No restrictons on abortions.  Intact dilation and extraction abortion (which has been labeled "partial birth abortion" by pro-life propagandists) is a long-standing medical procedure used to end pregnancies in scenarios where the fetus would be an unviable baby or otherwise have significant birth defects, and is a last resort.  Nowhere is it used for situations where there wouldn't be something significantly wrong with either the infant after birth or endangers the mother's life during birth.  Also, stricter enforcement of laws protecting doctors who are simply doing their job.  (Hey, I'm an ex-Planned Parenthood volunteer.  Those protestors are scary.

Not necessarily. If a fetus is extracted from the navel then has it's neck cut off, it doesn't count as intact dilation. Personally I'd prefer to restrict abortion to emergencies by the 3rd trimester because most doctors agree that the fetus begins to develop consciousness and is mostly developed by that stage.

//Balanced Budget

A large decrease in federal spending. A Balanced Budget Amendment to ensure responsible fiscal management.

Decrease in federal spending where?  The vast majority of the budget goes into three programs: Social Security, Medicare, and Defense.  The remaining discretionary spending includes many government organizations, like the FBI, FEMA, and the VA, that rightly take a significant amount of financial recourses to fulfill their legitimate functions.

I'd cut spending on defense, reduce Social Security Payments, limit subsidies, cap discretionary spending and probably institute some other cuts on various agencies.

In general, though, I oppose deficit spending (especially the incredibly reckless deficit spending of the Bush Administration), and would like to see a balanced budget, but realistically, that won't happen for a long time.

Not with the current supply side ideology, I agree.

//Business Tax

Moderate decrease in business taxation. Current rates put us at a competitive disadvantage, help small business.

You just said you wanted a balanced budget, pal.  Where are you going to offset that?  (And don't say "spending," give specifics)

Don't be so condescending.

It's a moderate decrease in corporate taxation, probably by about 5% tops. That can be offset by increases in personal income tax, carbon/emissions taxes, a surtax (for emergency spending), reforming deductions (e.g. charitable deductions), etc. Factor in some cuts in other spending such as corporate subsidies to big oil and it's not as nightmarish as you claim.

//Education

Eliminate No Child Left Behind. Increase Teacher Salaries in exchange for less job security. Some vouchers; Charter schools provide competition.

Fine...not a huge fan of vouchers, but it's not the worst solution in the world.

//Energy

Invest in alternative energy including Nuclear Power and end oil company subsidies. Cut oil use significantly by 2025.

Fine, no problem here, I'm pro-nuclear.  But what will we do about transportation (especially automobiles and airplanes)?

We should probably reduce spending on the federal high way system in favor of state or locally run rails, roads, etc.

//Environment

Work to reduce emissions and harmful toxins. Modified Kyoto.

Modified how?  Greater pressures on developing countries?  Cap-and-trade or other idea?

No, cap and trade is a terrible idea.

I'd remove 1990 as the base year for the agreement for starters. The numbers are skewed by the reality that the Soviets and other nations were at their worst, and frankly the fact that so few of the nations involved seem to be making a commitment to it to me indicates it was overly optimistic. Also the fact that it does leave China and other countries essentially off the hook is troubling if pretty much impossible to do much of anything about.

//Gun Control

Gun control is a state issue. No federal gun control.

With the exception of the preservation of the 1934 National Firearms Act, I'm in agreement.

I'm sure most people aren't going to be for letting anyone own an automatic.

//Health Care

Universal health care whether public or private. Require health insurance for every child.

Fine...but you wanted to balance the budget, didn't you?

I don't think this is that great of an expense if you repeal the bush tax cuts and institute other reforms like I said. Besides we're spending about 45% of GDP on government healthcare already (never mind per capita spending), we're just not getting much for it. Might as well go all the way, or else not bother

//Homeland Security

We must defend ourselves only if attacked. Increase some security, funding for natural disasters. Oppose Patriot Act, it erodes our rights and freedoms (e.g. probable cause).

Agree with all statements, except that I would amend, rather than repeal, the USA PATRIOT Act of 2001, which included several necessary procedural updates to the legal code and, if repealed in full, would cause issues.

I could agree to that, however there's so many objectionable portions that you'd essentially have to repeal at least half of it.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 06:17:53 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

This is directly applicable to the War on Terror. 

We need to shut down the prison camps at Guantanamo Bay, something that the Supreme Court is pushing for anyway, end all vestiges of torture, and show the world the America they once loved.

Agreed[/quote]
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 11:39:42 PM »

Not really, although I could probably vote for you over most Republicans.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 12:41:14 AM »

//Abortion

Some restrictions on abortion. Ban partial birth abortions except to save mother's life.

I agree with the statement. I could live with abortion being a state issue, but I would support adding a pro-life amendment to the Constitution banning abortion in all cases except to save the mother's life.

//Balanced Budget

A large decrease in federal spending. A Balanced Budget Amendment to ensure responsible fiscal management.

Yeah, I'd greatly decrease federal spending and would sigh a balanced budget amendment.

//Business Tax

Moderate decrease in business taxation. Current rates put us at a competitive disadvantage, help small business.

I would decrease taxes on businesses, and try to help small businesses more.

//Education

Eliminate No Child Left Behind. Increase Teacher Salaries in exchange for less job security. Some vouchers; Charter schools provide competition.

I would try to get more competition in the school systems to improve grades.

//Energy

Invest in alternative energy including Nuclear Power and end oil company subsidies. Cut oil use significantly by 2025.

I believe alternate energy sources to be very important to our country's future, and would support research into it. Oil firms are flush with profits, end all subsidies to them.

//Environment

Work to reduce emissions and harmful toxins. Modified Kyoto.

I would leave environmental regulations to the states.

//Gun Control

Gun control is a state issue. No federal gun control.

I strongly support this statement. I'd do away with all federal gun control laws.

//Health Care

Universal health care whether public or private. Require health insurance for every child.

I'd let states provide health care to their citizens, but not the federal government.

//Homeland Security

We must defend ourselves only if attacked. Increase some security, funding for natural disasters. Oppose Patriot Act, it erodes our rights and freedoms (e.g. probable cause).

I'd toss the Patriot Act in the dumpster. The powers the government had before September 11th were enough to stop that attack. If they're not going to use the powers they already have, why give them more?

//Immigration

Illegal immigration is a serious problem. Tighter border security, including a wall and fines. Reform immigration laws.

Yes, some areas of the country are growing too fast, and their hospitals, schools, and civil services are being overwhelmed. Drug cartels and human immigrant smugglers use our open borders to do their business. Build a good wall, not a half-assed one, increase the Border Patrol, and allow the National Guard to assist the Border Patrol.

//Iran

Diplomacy and economic sanctions should make Iran see things our way.

Agree. Hot-headed and inflammatory remarks only back them into a corner which gives them no alternative but to pursue a nuclear device. We need to have serious diplomacy with Iran.

//Iraq War

Begin pulling out troops gradually.

Yeah, and lose some of the idiotic "Rules of Engagement" our government has placed upon our military and let them do their damn job.

//Trade

Reform NAFTA. End some of the tax incentives for companies sending jobs overseas.

Yes. NAFTA has caused many fellow countrymen to lose their jobs. As much as I am an economic libertarian, I don't like outsourcing.

//Personal Tax

Repeal Bush Tax Cuts for wealthy to balance the budget.

I wouldn't repeal the tax cuts on the wealthy.

//Same Sex Marriage

Same-sex marriage is inevitable. [Off Game Note: And that's a good thing; it's a constitutional right.]

Yes, I am all for gay marriage and gay rights. Surely me being bisexual has nothing to do with that.Tongue

//Social Security

Cut social security benefits for the well off. Keep congress from raiding the trust fund.

Yeah, I think the wealthy don't need Social Security. Tell Congress to keep their loose paws to themselves.

//Unions

Labor demands must be balanced with business concerns.

Agree.

//War on Terror

We must focus on Al Qaeda, the War on Iraq is a distraction.

Agree. It was Al Qaeda who attacked us, so it should be our chief concern to obliterate them and cut off their support. The War on Terror should have been called The War on Al Qaeda.

Obviously, the red and hot pink are issues I agree with you. I was going to use pink but I thought it was too hard to read.

The blue and sky blue are issues where I have a different opinion.

Tee hee. I love colors!! Grin
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 02:58:41 AM »

NDN, you are too right-wing for me, though obviously better than any Republican. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 10:45:10 AM »

Modified my views into sound bites for a game on this site. How much do you agree with?

Agree:
//Balanced Budget
//Business Tax
//Homeland Security
//Immigration
//Iraq War
//Social Security
//War on Terror

Disagree:
//Abortion
//Environment (no treaties please)
//Health Care
//Trade

//Unions
Halfway:
//Education
//Energy (only b/c I'm iffy on government investing in it, private I'm all for)
//Gun Control (certainly not a federal issue, but really not an issue at all)
//Iran (I agree not to go to war, but sanctions hurt the people more than the gov)
//Personal Tax
//Same Sex Marriage (I agree its inevitable)

I never considered you much of a Democrat, you'd fit better somewhere else IMHO
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 11:24:36 AM »

He'd be a democrat in 2028 but not yet. Trends are looking more and more like the democrats becoming a more acceptable party for the likes of him or me.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »

//Abortion
Agree
//Balanced Budget
Agree
//Business Tax
Agree
//Education
Disagree, the government shouldn't be involved in education at all
//Energy
Disagree, let consumers decide what fuel to use
//Environment
Disagree, environmental protection should consist of eliminating public lands
//Gun Control
Agree
//Health Care
Disagree, the key to affordable health care is the eliminate third-party payers, not increase them
//Homeland Security
Agree
//Immigration
Disagree, freedom of movement should not be infringed
//Iran
Disagree, diplomacy and sanctions shouldn't be necessary, Iran doesn't pose a threat to us
//Iraq War
Agree
//Trade
Disagree, abolish NAFTA in favor of unrestricted free trade
//Personal Tax
Disagree, balance the budget by significantly cutting taxes and spending
//Same Sex Marriage
Disagree, the state shouldn't be involved in marriage at all
//Social Security
Agree
//Unions
Agree
//War on Terror
Agree
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 07:47:04 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2008, 07:51:22 PM by Blue Dog »

//Abortion
Agree
//Balanced Budget
Agree
//Business Tax
Agree
//Education

If the government doesn't provide education then a lot of people simply won't be able to afford the private schools or homeschooling. We'll stop being a 1st world country.

//Energy

Consumers can't do that if companies aren't developing it fast enough.

//Environment

That won't do anything.

//Gun Control
Agree
//Health Care
Disagree, the key to affordable health care is the eliminate third-party payers, not increase them

Actually I agree that would reduce the costs probably, but it would leave a lot of people without coverage.

//Homeland Security
Agree
//Immigration

We wouldn't be able to handle all of the people that would flock here though, and a lot of them would introduce diseases that we otherwise screen out. We're already seeing diseases like TB becoming more prevalent again.

//Iran
Disagree, diplomacy and sanctions shouldn't be necessary, Iran doesn't pose a threat to us

I agree that it's not directly threatening us, but it's a powder keg situation would could destabilize the Middle East and our economy by association.

//Iraq War
Agree
//Trade

Unrestricted trade would just lead to more unsafe goods and companies like Metalclad dumping toxic waste in people's drinking water.

//Personal Tax

Disagree on pragmatic and ideological grounds.

//Same Sex Marriage

Actually in theory I agree, it's just unlikely to ever be done that way IRL.

//Social Security
Agree
//Unions
Agree
//War on Terror
Agree

My utopia would actually be anarcho-capitalist, I just favor moderate classical liberalism because people aren't ready for that right now IMO.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »

I agree with many of your stances except, mainly, immigration (building a wall is ridiculous) and Iran (economic sanctions hurt the populace, who are not directly responsible).
ps79
Rookie
Netherlands
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 09:26:27 PM »

No, I like more liberal views than the ones you sum up. But it could be worse I guess
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 10:52:02 PM »

Modified my views into sound bites for a game on this site. How much do you agree with?

Generally agree, except:

- Tougher gun control

- Slight increase in personal taxation for super wealthy.  I wouldn't rollback ALL of the Bush tax cuts.  I could have a whole other thread on taxation.

- Iraq.  No, get them out NOW and keep a peacekeeping force a la Germany, Japan, or South Korea.  Crack the whip on the Iraqi people.

- Social Security. Raise the cap for OASDI.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 07:01:11 PM »

I don't want to hijack yet another thread, so this will be my only reply:

//Abortion
Agree
//Balanced Budget
Agree
//Business Tax
Agree
//Education

If the government doesn't provide education then a lot of people simply won't be able to afford the private schools or homeschooling. We'll stop being a 1st world country.

Even though many third-world countries have government-funded education?

//Energy

Consumers can't do that if companies aren't developing it fast enough.

If there is consumer demand for alternative fuel, companies will make it. However, there are no guarentees as to how long that will take.

//Environment

That won't do anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

//Gun Control
Agree
//Health Care

Actually I agree that would reduce the costs probably, but it would leave a lot of people without coverage.

Does it matter if people don't have coverage for non-fatal conditions? Third-party payers providing 'insurance' for elective procedures and conditions that aren't serious is what's driving prices up.

//Homeland Security
Agree
//Immigration

We wouldn't be able to handle all of the people that would flock here though, and a lot of them would introduce diseases that we otherwise screen out. We're already seeing diseases like TB becoming more prevalent again.

I didn't say immigrants would be free to move on private property, and I doubt property woners would allow people with serious contagious diseases to come in. Plus, isn't a good for the economy to have all those people now part of the labor market. Could you imagine how much food and construction prices would drop?

//Iran

I agree that it's not directly threatening us, but it's a powder keg situation would could destabilize the Middle East and our economy by association.

If we were not in the Middle East in the first place, it wouldn't affect our economy.

//Iraq War
Agree
//Trade

Unrestricted trade would just lead to more unsafe goods and companies like Metalclad dumping toxic waste in people's drinking water.

By trade, I was referring to voluntary trade. Polluting is a crime that would be punishable. Also, consumers aren't going to buy unsafe products, and thus they will not be sucessful on the market.

//Personal Tax

Disagree on pragmatic and ideological grounds.

//Same Sex Marriage

Actually in theory I agree, it's just unlikely to ever be done that way IRL.

//Social Security
Agree
//Unions
Agree
//War on Terror
Agree

My utopia would actually be anarcho-capitalist, I just favor moderate classical liberalism because people aren't ready for that right now IMO.

I have no problem with that. I respect your views and hopefully with time you will see the light. You are more polite than other posters on here.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 07:02:22 PM »

I have no problem with that. I respect your views and hopefully with time you will see the light. You are more polite than other posters on here.

Hope I'm not being referred to. Tongue
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 12:13:51 PM »

I never considered you much of a Democrat, you'd fit better somewhere else IMHO
Other than the Reform Party I can't really think of any other group that comes close.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 12:51:11 PM »

The buchananites own reform so not even there.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 01:06:40 PM »

The buchananites own reform so not even there.
Not really. The party split. Still not a viable one though so...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies