does any metro area have a more generic voting pattern than the Twin Cities?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:51:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  does any metro area have a more generic voting pattern than the Twin Cities?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: does any metro area have a more generic voting pattern than the Twin Cities?  (Read 2534 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2004, 10:37:42 PM »

generic being inner cities heavily Democratic, inner suburbs slightly less so but still very Democratic, middle suburbs split almost 50/50, and outer suburbs heavily Republican.

Since I've studies the Twin Cities one's voting patterns so much, I can't find any metro quite so. The closest ones are Chicago and Cleveland, but so far it looks like the Twin Cities win this one.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 07:49:43 AM »

You are correct in comparison to Chicago. Chicago has a ring of old industrial cities (Waukegan, Elgin, Aurora, Joliet) that are 30-40 miles out. They are now well within the suburban region, but have voting patterns matching their historical roots when they stood alone from Chicago.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 10:15:21 AM »

I wouldn't consider Batesburg and Leesville to be particularly generic, but  The Twin-City News is a fairly generic local weekly paper.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 01:04:56 PM »

I wouldn't consider Batesburg and Leesville to be particularly generic, but  The Twin-City News is a fairly generic local weekly paper.

Ha.  Ha.  Ha.

That reminds me of when we were in Destin, and we kept seeing all these 'Twin City' stores.  For instance, there was a 'Twin City Health Clinic'.  It was all so confusing Wink
JNB

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 02:06:44 PM »

Milwaukee matches the Twin Cities, and so does Sacramento in terms of inner city being heavily Democratic, inner suburbs being 50/50 and ex urbs being heavily Republican. Cincinati is somwhat similar, but its voting patterns are almost entirely based on race now.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 08:55:07 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2004, 08:59:13 PM by nclib »

You are correct in comparison to Chicago. Chicago has a ring of old industrial cities (Waukegan, Elgin, Aurora, Joliet) that are 30-40 miles out. They are now well within the suburban region, but have voting patterns matching their historical roots when they stood alone from Chicago.

Chicago is interesting in that the NW and SW parts of the city are much less Democratic than the city center.

It is also interesting that Chicago's western suburbs are much more conservative than the suburbs along Lake Michigan.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 09:00:33 PM »

Milwaukee matches the Twin Cities, and so does Sacramento in terms of inner city being heavily Democratic, inner suburbs being 50/50 and ex urbs being heavily Republican. Cincinati is somwhat similar, but its voting patterns are almost entirely based on race now.

Milwaukee doesn't, the Republican areas start almost as soon as you leave the city proper. Cincinnati metro is also so Republican Gore didn't win a single county in it.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 10:41:08 PM »

Well Seattle sort of seems that way but our metro is kind of a weird shape so its hard to say...
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 12:36:25 AM »

Most metros are like this to some extent.

Detroit kind of fits it....Detroit City overwhelmingly Dem, the rest of Wayne County mostly Dem, southern Oakland and Macomb Dem leaning swing areas, Northern Oakland and Macomb and all of Livingston Republican.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 12:37:44 AM »

yeah most metros are like that, but there usually are some sort of deviations. My point is the Twin Cities is the most generic I've seen by far. You can almost certainly tell how a city votes by its proximity to the city center, unless it's one of those extremely wealthy pockets (like North Oaks)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies