The age of the earth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:32:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The age of the earth
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: The Earth is ___________ of years old
thousands

millions

billions

the earth was not created and has always existed

the earth was created last Tuesday

other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: The age of the earth  (Read 6559 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 04:10:57 PM »

Billions of years old created under circumstances in the universe created by God.

You deist you! 

Nah, I'm a progressive Christian except with views on Catholics and Mormons similar to fundies.

That's not very progressive of you.

Are the Mormon and Catholic churches progressive? No, and that's where my issue with them lies.

Catholics don't condemn the gays to Hell, don't try to block evolution from being taught, and extensively run charities that care about the poor.  That's far superior than virtually any protestant church around here.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »

Billions of years old. No clue how in the world it happened though. Guth's theory of expansion helps explain it, though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 11:47:39 PM »

Billions of years old created under circumstances in the universe created by God.

You deist you! 

Nah, I'm a progressive Christian except with views on Catholics and Mormons similar to fundies.

That's not very progressive of you.

Are the Mormon and Catholic churches progressive? No, and that's where my issue with them lies.

Catholics don't condemn the gays to Hell

Uh...

don't try to block evolution from being taught, and extensively run charities that care about the poor.  That's far superior than virtually any protestant church around here.

Yeah, that's MISSISSIPPI.

You don't have any of these there? That's the only type of church I've gone to in quite awhile.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 09:38:55 AM »

The Earth probably was created 4.6 Billion years ago, by the Abramiac God. Though, the "First Day" was probably 14 billion years ago. I think the Bible has inconsistencies with day, night and the sun because days and nights occured around other stars or other planets before it did on Earth. Adam probably lived about 40,000 years ago in the Garden of Eden, which is under the Sahara in modern times. 40,000 years ago was when humans can be first identified to have modern behavior, though anatomically modern humans were along at least three times longer. I suspect Adam was the first human being to know of God's existence and somehow ate of tree of knowledge, creating what we know as the human condition today. I believe the Biblical Flood probably occurred 12000 years ago when a meteor hit the Canadian Ice Caps, causing a global storm. 
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 06:11:01 PM »

Don't know, I wasn't around at the time (or at least I don't think I was).
Smart guys say billions, so I'll throw my lot in with them on this one.

All this stuff about Tuesday is clearly nonsense though, nothing cool ever happens on a Tuesday.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »

Anyone see the Family Guy episdoe when science edited for rednecks?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 03:50:46 PM »

Anyone see the Family Guy episdoe when science edited for rednecks?

Yeah; that was pretty funny.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 08:51:31 AM »

6,008 years ago by God himself.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 09:40:13 AM »

6,008 years ago by God himself.

was that serious?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 09:47:21 AM »

Well, according to the bible, it was 2,000 years from Adam to Abraham; 2,000 years from Abrahan to Jesus; and 2,008 year from Jesus to today.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 09:49:09 AM »

Well, according to the bible, it was 2,000 years from Adam to Abraham; 2,000 years from Abrahan to Jesus; and 2,008 year from Jesus to today.

I think I've detected sarcasm here. I certainly hope so....
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 10:05:09 AM »

I think I've detected sarcasm here. I certainly hope so....

Nope no sarcasm, I really believe the earth is 6,008 years old. I believe what the Bible says or should I say hints towards. I am one of them christians who believe what the bible saids, even if I might now agree with it. 
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 10:49:32 AM »

Well, Biblically speaking you might be a bit off, depending on your calculations it's less than 6008:

http://www.albatrus.org/english/theology/creation/biblical_age_earth.htm
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2008, 10:56:43 AM »

I am one of them christians who believe what the bible saids, even if I might now agree with it. 

what does this sentence mean, in English?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2008, 11:19:22 AM »

I am one of them christians who believe what the bible saids, even if I might now agree with it. 

Sorry, not****
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2008, 11:36:45 AM »

Sorry, not****

Seriously though, what does it mean?

You believe everything in the Bible, but don't necessarily agree with it? That's completely illogical. If the Bible supposedly contains facts, what is there to agree or disagree with?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2008, 09:02:29 AM »

Sorry, not****

You believe everything in the Bible, but don't necessarily agree with it? That's completely illogical. If the Bible supposedly contains facts, what is there to agree or disagree with?

The bible doesn't just have facts in it. I has a road map on how you are suppose to live your like for Christ, anyways. The only thing I don't agree with the Bible on is homosexuality, but hey life goes on.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »

As someone who aspires to be a physicist, I'll trust the peer-reviewed professional opinion of my colleagues in astronomy & say that the Earth was created 5 minutes ago is billions of years old.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2008, 02:25:49 PM »

Sorry, not****

The bible doesn't just have facts in it. I has a road map on how you are suppose to live your like for Christ, anyways. The only thing I don't agree with the Bible on is homosexuality, but hey life goes on.

So I am guessing you do not believe in evolution? If so how do you explain little inconvenient facts such as drug resistant tuberculosis?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2008, 05:20:55 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2008, 05:23:07 PM by PiT (The Physicist) »

Sorry, not****

So I am guessing you do not believe in evolution? If so how do you explain little inconvenient facts such as drug resistant tuberculosis?

In addition to Creationism, the Bible endorses some other really controversial positions. For example, the Bible supports the death penalty for:

adulterers
children who swear at their parents
people who work on Sunday.

Josh, since you said that the only thing you don't agree with the Bible on is homosexuality, does that mean you support the execution of people who commit these offenses?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies