Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:08:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]  (Read 298690 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 07, 2008, 02:53:57 PM »

What the hell does that mean? "I know Jews aren't racist but those Catholics..."

Just to make sure people don't assume that because they are White and they hate Obama that it isn't because of race (I hope). Catholics on the other hand are not racist at all, otherwise they aren't Democrats. Most Catholics in the Dem primaries were Hispanics who just liked Clinton. Half my family is Catholic and they all like Obama (although they are all from Hawaii). Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to get across here.

Wow, you just keep digging here. "Catholics...are not racist at all, otherwise they aren't Democrats."

Do you like living in ignorance?

If Jews and Catholics obviously aren't racist, who is? Methodists? Lutherans? Grouping people by saying the whole group obviously isn't racist is as ignorant and wrong as someone saying, "Well, blacks are obviously the criminals."

I think this whole racism angle has really been overplayed and overemphasized this election, not only within the mainstream media, but also on this board as well.

Hillary's huge win in Kentucky and West Virginia, and moderate victory in Pennsylvania had little to do with any kind of overt racism on the part of white working-class voters. There are many other factors at work shaping voters behavior, and attempts to explain this based predominately on race seems simplistic at best.

McCain may well perform better amongst Jews than Bush for a variety of reasons, one being that McCain is not seen as wedded to the evangelical Christian wing of the Republican party, and national security may be another to a lesser degree. I'm sure the Wright affair has not helped, but there is still a long way to go before November, and at the end of the day I would be surprised to see McCain do much better than 30% amongst Jewish voters.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 01:09:14 AM »

Sorry, I wrote my comments late at night.... I really tried to explain it, but whatever.

My point is that among Democrats racism is not really an issue. And I really misworded my comments on Catholics. I truly did not mean to offend anyone, but I am really offended at being labeled ignorant. Until this year, I thought America had gotten over racism, but from the exit polls it seems like there is still a lot of it on the East Coast.

When I reread my comment, I was quite shocked, so please ignore it! I really don't believe that!

Some of the exit polls looked ugly, and they disturbed me as well...

Maybe I'm naive, but I have to believe that this is less than 5% of the American people that vote overtly on skin tone. George Wallace did all right in '68, even in many Northern states, but I would like to believe the possible fantasy that America is in 2008 a post-race era. For the future of our nation, I hope so anyways....
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 01:20:39 AM »

The scales have tipped in our favor. If I were to use a baseball analogy, we just scored a touchdown in the 7th inning.

Try in the 5th, with the other side getting the same inning at bat.

Obama has a problem policy wise; he favors a capital gains tax increase that hurts investment.

Yes, I'm sure this hurts him with the white working class swing voters in Ohio and Pennsylvania, not to mention the working moms making 8 dollars per hour.

Timely, as always Nym!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 01:35:04 PM »

Monday, September 29, 2008
Obama 50% (nc)
McCain 42% (nc)

Considering that much of this spread is the result in drop in McCain's support, rather than an improvement, I would expect Obama's lead to narrow slightly before Thursday.

Of course the debates could change this, and Obama could finally cross the crucial 50% mark.

The big wildcard over the next few days is how McCain and Obama respond to the failure of the "bailout package".

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »

Any bets on Obama's chances of briefly taking a 10 point lead, once the implications of this start to sink in?

We still haven't heard any real responses from either candidate to date to today's news.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies