Which metro areas will Obama carry the suburbs of? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:24:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Which metro areas will Obama carry the suburbs of? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which metro areas will Obama carry the suburbs of?  (Read 28595 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: January 05, 2009, 07:20:04 PM »
« edited: January 05, 2009, 07:22:22 PM by Verily »

The rest of the top 60 except San Jose, Richmond, and Honolulu will not vote for Obama.

Richmond suburbs probably did not vote for Obama. Didn't do the math, but that MSA is quite large.

But some of the other top-60 MSAs did. All three in Connecticut (Hartford, Bridgeport and New Haven suburbs), Albany suburbs, possibly Albuquerque suburbs, maybe the Hampton Roads suburbs depending on how they're defined (which is tough given that the area is mostly independent cities, but some of the independent cities are really big geographically). And, I haven't done the math, but the Raleigh (!) suburbs may have voted for Obama. Certainly they were within single-digits. (Of course, the Research Triangle suburbs all together clearly voted for Obama, but Durham-Chapel Hill and Raleigh-Cary are different MSAs.)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:22:14 PM »

I'm sure the Sac metro is way larger even according to the official definition, rendering the point moot, but I was surprised to notice Obama won Sacramento County minus Sacramento city.

No I think it is sufficient. I would actually remove Yolo from the list since Davis is certainly not a suburb of Sacramento. West Sacramento obviously is though. And El dorado county contains a lot of the Lake Tahoe population which is also not a part of the Sacramento area. So I think we can safely say that Obama carried the Sacramento metropolitan area.

Davis certainly is a suburb of Sacramento. It has a lot of other things going on with UC Davis, but I know at the least my first cousin once removed and her husband live there, and she works in Sacramento. (He has some minor political position in Yolo County.) And it's more or less continuously developed along I-80 with just small gaps of farmland which can't be developed because it floods every year.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies