Bobby Jindal impact on South Asian Americans.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:30:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Bobby Jindal impact on South Asian Americans.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bobby Jindal impact on South Asian Americans.  (Read 4220 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:26:24 PM »

Theres around 3.5 million Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan Americans in the US.

If McCain picks Bobby Jindal how many will flip to the GOP?

Kerry won this group 90-9 in 2004.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:26:47 PM »

With Indians included?  Um, source?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 11:27:55 PM »

http://www.vdare.com/pb/chinese.htm

I know it was a bit baffling at first considering the amount of prominent Indian Republicans. Bobby Jindal, Ramesh Ponnuru, Dinesh D'Souza.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:29:49 PM »

I know it was a bit baffling at first considering the amount of prominent Indian Republicans. Bobby Jindal, Ramesh Ponnuru, Dinesh D'Souza.

I don't see Indians mentioned in that article, or a 90-9 figure
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:30:26 PM »

I don't see Indians mentioned in that article, or a 90-9 figure

Plus that article was written in 2000...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:39:55 PM »

The 90-9 figure is totally ridiculous. There are too many wealthy Indians for whom voting democrat is against their financial interests. Also a lot of those 3.5 million south asians are not citizens and even if they were are many times not interested in voting. Sadly Jindal may cause many to vote for Mccain but I will still hold out hope the community is smarter than this. Overall though it would not make that much of a difference in the election.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 11:42:38 PM »

The 90-9 figure is totally ridiculous. There are too many wealthy Indians for whom voting democrat is against their financial interests. Also a lot of those 3.5 million south asians are not citizens and even if they were are many times not interested in voting. Sadly Jindal may cause many to vote for Mccain but I will still hold out hope the community is smarter than this. Overall though it would not make that much of a difference in the election.

Total nonsense. An Indian American is running a serious campaign for the nomination of the GOP in my state senate seat, and was very well funded. I will have to check out how he did. No, I didn't vote for him.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:47:31 PM »

You are all wrong. All the Indians I know are Democrats. Two-thirds are not citizens. My anecdotal evidence trumps your anecdotal evidence.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:50:35 PM »

Total nonsense. An Indian American is running a serious campaign for the nomination of the GOP in my state senate seat, and was very well funded. I will have to check out how he did. No, I didn't vote for him.

What did I say that was nonsense? Anyways what senate seat are you in? I never heard of this guy either.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 11:52:20 PM »

You are all wrong. All the Indians I know are Democrats. Two-thirds are not citizens. My anecdotal evidence trumps your anecdotal evidence.

Maybe, but it is not 10-1. It deserves more research however. My next door neighbor is from India, via London,  and he is more conservative than I am, and is worried about my left wing tendencies. So there!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 11:53:35 PM »

All the Indians & South Asians I've known over the past couple years except for one have been Dems, based on the issues, particularly foreign policy. No idea what a Jindal pick would have, but they'd have to get over very deep-seated moral objections to the war.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 11:56:22 PM »

I work with a Sikh who is a Republican.  He has told me that he is the exception and both his family and his wife's family would never vote for any Republican.  I don't know how that would change with a credible candidacy by someone from their group, though I doubt there is any monolithic "South Asian" bloc that would identify with a single candidate.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 11:56:58 PM »

What did I say that was nonsense? Anyways what senate seat are you in? I never heard of this guy either.

What you said was not nonsense, the 90% figure was nonsense. I live in the 33rd state senate district in California, and it appears that Harry Sidhu is losing the GOP nomination by about 3-1. He even had an Indian accent, and advertised heavily. By he was a city councilman in Anaheim, and his opponent was a women from South County, in the state house of representatives, and better known. They both are considerably more right wing than I am. Smiley
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 11:58:48 PM »

Do Indians (that are U.S. citizens) even vote? Serious question; my anecdotal evidence says no for the most part.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 11:59:11 PM »

Maybe, but it is not 10-1. It deserves more research however. My next door neighbor is from India, via London,  and he is more conservative than I am, and is worried about my left wing tendencies. So there!

Well, he's unusual for multiple reasons.

For one, most of the "Indians" in London are really Bangladeshi. I have so many relatives there...you don't want to know. And they run all the "Indian" restaurants, too. My uncle is the proprietor of a pretty good eatery in Kensington & Chelsea.

Not sure what that had to do with anything. So there.

Do Indians (that are U.S. citizens) even vote? Serious question; my anecdotal evidence says no for the most part.

As does mine.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 12:02:56 AM »

Do your parents even vote? My dad doesn't vote (mainly because he isn't a United States citizen because he's lazy but I doubt he would vote regardless because he hates everyone who isn't Bill Clinton) and my mom only voted in 2000 and 2004 despite having been eligible to vote since the early 1980s...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 12:05:58 AM »

I need to correct myself again. I knew a Sikh man who was a "moderate Republican" but his father hated Bush and I got the sense he didn't like Bush either. I have no idea whether he would go for Obama or McCain. My sense is that many South Asians are moderate-to-conservative on economic issues but object to the Republicans on foreign policy. On the other hand if you approve of the nation-building going on in Iraq, that might be enough to tip the scales to McCain.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 12:07:28 AM »

Do your parents even vote? My dad doesn't vote (mainly because he isn't a United States citizen because he's lazy but I doubt he would vote regardless because he hates everyone who isn't Bill Clinton) and my mom only voted in 2000 and 2004 despite having been eligible to vote since the early 1980s...

They vote in the GEs because a polling station is about 100 yards from our house, but they probably wouldn't if it meant driving. Even then, they delegate the responsibility of finding out for whom to vote to me.

I need to correct myself again. I knew a Sikh man who was a "moderate Republican" but his father hated Bush and I got the sense he didn't like Bush either. I have no idea whether he would go for Obama or McCain. My sense is that many South Asians are moderate-to-conservative on economic issues but object to the Republicans on foreign policy. On the other hand if you approve of the nation-building going on in Iraq, that might be enough to tip the scales to McCain.

Basically. Arabs and South Asians tend to be conservative socially (and usually economically), but strongly opposed to Republican nativism.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 12:07:58 AM »

My neighbor is a Hindu (at least I assume he is, and he has this Buddha looking  thing in his walkway, and  thinks Muslims need to be kept out of the US because they are dangerous). His father grew up in Tanzania or Kenya before decamping to London. And when he has parties, lots of Indian looking folks show up in SUV's. No greenies in sight! He teaches computer science at the local state university.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 12:10:17 AM »

Absolutely right. Indians are pretty anti-war but because a lot of them tend to have money, they are also pretty conservative on economic issues. I think if the war was not going on and Jindal was selected on the ticket, the republicans could get upto 2/3 of the Indian vote. That will not happen this year though.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 12:11:33 AM »

My neighbor is a Hindu (at least I assume he is, and he has this Buddha looking  thing in his walkway, and  thinks Muslims need to be kept out of the US because they are dangerous). His father grew up in Tanzania or Kenya before decamping to London. And when he has parties, lots of Indian looking folks show up in SUV's. No greenies in sight! He teaches computer science at the local state university.

Everything except for the first four words, the first twelve words of the third sentence, and the last sentence is completely atypical from my anecdotal evidence.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 12:13:18 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Basically. Arabs and South Asians tend to beconservative socially (and usually economically), but strongly opposed to Republican nativism.
[/quote]

Err, not sure about that. Some Hindu Indian-Americans I've met are very socially liberal. Even the ones who take their traditions very seriously in the areas that it requires are very tolerant when it comes to political opinions of social issues. Ironically, Bobby Jindal would probably be more of a social liberal had he stayed with Hinduism (though he might be a vegetarian). Sikhs and Muslims may be more conservative, but its obviously quite different from "American" social conservatism-- its based on their own religion and traditions, not Western ones.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 12:15:05 AM »

AHH Kenyans. Some of my best friends are African...kinda. It is surprising the number of Indians who are of African descent in California. And yeah we like to show off our money with SUV's. But we also believe in global warming and think something should be done. still we are keeping our SUV's :0
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 12:16:39 AM »

Well you don't live in Orange County for starters. Smiley

I will try this weekend to try to find some harder data on this matter. I think Indians from India (not Pakistan or Bangladesh) are pretty evenly split politically, but I need to refresh my memory. Muslims have soured on Bush, no doubt about it.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 12:20:19 AM »

Well you don't live in Orange County for starters. Smiley

I will try this weekend to try to find some harder data on this matter. I think Indians from India (not Pakistan or Bangladesh) are pretty evenly split politically, but I need to refresh my memory. Muslims have soured on Bush, no doubt about it.

Yes but both sides are against US war policy. But like I said if this was some other year, the republicans could expect a good share of Indian votes. This is mainly due to the wealth of the community and LV's will be even more wealthier than the average Indian.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies