KY: Survey USA: McCain stays far ahead of Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:36:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  KY: Survey USA: McCain stays far ahead of Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: KY: Survey USA: McCain stays far ahead of Obama  (Read 2395 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2008, 08:48:27 PM »

New Poll: Kentucky President by Survey USA on 2008-05-29

Summary: D: 32%, R: 56%, U: 12%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

kevinatcausa
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »

Only 10 Kentucky polls so far. 

They'll have to do more than that if they want to catch Alabama.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:50:11 PM »

PLEASE STOP POLLING THIS STATE. WE KNOW MCCAIN WILL WIN WITH 20+ POINTS.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 09:55:03 PM »

PLEASE STOP POLLING THIS STATE. WE KNOW MCCAIN WILL WIN WITH 20+ POINTS.

No... everyone I talk to in Kentucky is voting for Obama, and Kerry, and Clinton.  Bush... I mean, McCain is gonna be so surprised here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:04:07 PM »

The thing is, there are plenty of states that don't get polled enough, while a safe Republican state like Kentucky has been polled 10 times. States that have been polled fewer times:

Colorado- An undeniable swing state.
Nevada- Again, an undeniable swing state.
New Mexico- Ditto.
North Dakota, Montana, Alaska, South Dakota, etc.- Some polls have shown Obama stronger than normal in these states, but we've had so few polls, that it's impossible to tell.
South Carolina- Only one poll here, showing McCain only up by 3. I'm not saying poll South Carolina every week, but some follow up here would be nice.
Indiana- Polls showed this competitive in April, but since then we haven't gotten anything.
New Hampshire- Again, undeniably a swing state.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:34:55 AM »

The thing is, there are plenty of states that don't get polled enough, while a safe Republican state like Kentucky has been polled 10 times. States that have been polled fewer times:

New Mexico- Ditto.
North Dakota, Montana, Alaska, South Dakota, etc.- Some polls have shown Obama stronger than normal in these states, but we've had so few polls, that it's impossible to tell.
South Carolina- Only one poll here, showing McCain only up by 3. I'm not saying poll South Carolina every week, but some follow up here would be nice.
Indiana- Polls showed this competitive in April, but since then we haven't gotten anything.

Maybe the polling companies are testing the key Senate race where Mitch McConnell might lose in a Dem year and are waiting to start polling general election presidential matchups  until closer to the time?

Personally, I agree that it would be preferable to see more swing-state votes, but financial incentives might be a cause here.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »

What makes it even more strange is that we have a primary here next Tuesday!  Granted, none of the incumbent Congressmen is expected to have any problems now or in November, but we do have some contested races to see who gets to lose to the incumbent in November, including the Democratic Senate race.  You'd think somebody would do a poll.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 03:10:28 PM »

I know Oklahoma is going to be strong McCain, but I still wish people would poll us.  Our last poll was February 28.  They are polling other strong McCain states (and, in some sense, strongER) such as Nebraska, Utah, Wyoming, Kentucky, etc.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 03:25:28 PM »

I know Oklahoma is going to be strong McCain, but I still wish people would poll us.  Our last poll was February 28.  They are polling other strong McCain states (and, in some sense, strongER) such as Nebraska, Utah, Wyoming, Kentucky, etc.

Maybe SUSA will conduct a 50-state-poll again in the near future now that Obama vs. McCain is set ...
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 11:28:41 AM »

McCain should get at least 60% of the vote in Kentucky in 2008. 
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 05:05:44 PM »

Maybe SUSA will conduct a 50-state-poll again in the near future now that Obama vs. McCain is set ...

I think that's what we're all looking for very soon..
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 05:09:45 PM »

New Mexico- Ditto.

Maybe the polling companies are testing the key Senate race where Mitch McConnell might lose in a Dem year and are waiting to start polling general election presidential matchups  until closer to the time?

Personally, I agree that it would be preferable to see more swing-state votes, but financial incentives might be a cause here.

Yeah I remember when they did a slew of polls in Oklahoma in 2004, IIRC it was the closeness of the senate race there that was the reasoning behind polling it so much.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 05:24:33 PM »

New Mexico- Ditto.

Yeah I remember when they did a slew of polls in Oklahoma in 2004, IIRC it was the closeness of the senate race there that was the reasoning behind polling it so much.

Of course, if you're calling people up to do a U.S. Senate poll, you essentially get the chance to do a U.S. President poll as well.  You almost have to—it's key crosstabs information.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 05:30:01 PM »

Kentucky is going to be UGLY for Obama.  The exit polling in the Dem primary was absolutely brutal for him. 

I really believe that this is McCain's best state behind Oklahoma.  65-34 McCain. 
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 02:34:11 AM »

Better than Utah?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 06:42:27 AM »

I actually think so. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 07:11:27 AM »

The McCain number seems more realistic than in previous Kentucky polls. For what that's worth.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 11:03:17 AM »

I agree with you, probably...
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 02:38:23 AM »

Let's not get carried away with Obama's Western magic here... is he really going to crack 40% in Utah?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 10:32:04 AM »

States that should be polled more than any others:
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Virginia
North Carolina
Florida