WV: Rasmussen: Obama 8% down in WV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:04:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  WV: Rasmussen: Obama 8% down in WV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WV: Rasmussen: Obama 8% down in WV  (Read 3675 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 03:15:16 PM »

You want Obama to win WV?(along with many other states dems couldn't normally get) Have him campaign as anti-gun control, anti-illegal immigration, federalist/states rights on social issues and a deficit hawk.

West Virginia is not really a "state rights" state. They are just a culturally conservative state.

And economically liberal as well in many regards. National health care and strong support for social security are two issues that resonate well in a state with a high elderly population and a huge percentage of the population without access to affordable health care.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 07:16:21 PM »

[Barr may not even be on the ballot in WV. Does anyone know the requirements for getting on the ballot as an independent?

15,118 signatures submitted by August 1st according to Ballot Access News.  As of May 1st, the Greens are already on the ballot there, and the Constitution Party appears to be well on its way with its signature drive,

Thanks. I guess we'll see how many supporters Barr brings in. I know from previous conversation with George Phillies that the LP's costly but successful bid for ballot access in North Carolina may have led them to abandon efforts in WV. Of course, the entrances of Barr and Gravel into the race may cause a bit of a resurgence in the tiny WVLP but again, this remains to be seen.

Will the Greens break 1% in West Virginia?

Why would the Greenies break 1% in WV, of all places, when they'll most likely get another joke result nationwide?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 11:49:21 PM »

[Barr may not even be on the ballot in WV. Does anyone know the requirements for getting on the ballot as an independent?

15,118 signatures submitted by August 1st according to Ballot Access News.  As of May 1st, the Greens are already on the ballot there, and the Constitution Party appears to be well on its way with its signature drive,

Thanks. I guess we'll see how many supporters Barr brings in. I know from previous conversation with George Phillies that the LP's costly but successful bid for ballot access in North Carolina may have led them to abandon efforts in WV. Of course, the entrances of Barr and Gravel into the race may cause a bit of a resurgence in the tiny WVLP but again, this remains to be seen.

Will the Greens break 1% in West Virginia?

Why would the Greenies break 1% in WV, of all places, when they'll most likely get another joke result nationwide?

What I see is two candidates (McCain and Obama) both with extremely high negatives. What is indicates to me is the possibility that a minor party candidate, whether Libertarian or Green, could take a significant number of protest votes.

From what other contributors have said, it seems like ballot access will be a major problem. I am not sure about disaffected Hillary voters in West Virginia, but I can say that what I have seen in Oregon is that there is a significant potential for Nader or a Green candidate to do quite well, although I would not put the ceiling above 2%.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 08:23:33 AM »

You want Obama to win WV?(along with many other states dems couldn't normally get) Have him campaign as anti-gun control, anti-illegal immigration, federalist/states rights on social issues and a deficit hawk.

People don't give a damn about the deficit, and it's sure not what would be hurting Obama in WV.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies