Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:44:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 253
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 849547 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2550 on: August 08, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »

We could realistically lose the State Senate (the 10th and the 25th are in real danger and the only thing keeping us in the majority at that point would be Tim Sheldon).

Not that having Democratic control of the State Senate is really worth anything given what happened last session...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #2551 on: August 08, 2011, 03:28:37 PM »

Maybe, but who knows, we might win back 2010 losses, too. I know Jarrett's old seat is up again next year (last year was a special).
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2552 on: August 08, 2011, 05:46:32 PM »

We could realistically lose the State Senate (the 10th and the 25th are in real danger and the only thing keeping us in the majority at that point would be Tim Sheldon).

Not that having Democratic control of the State Senate is really worth anything given what happened last session...

Tim Sheldon.....

I have voted against that man so many times and yet he still refuses to go away!

By the way what are the chances that I no longer am represented by Sheldon after redistricting? I live in the Western Thurston County section of his LD (the 35th).
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2553 on: August 08, 2011, 05:52:40 PM »

Tough to say. Fred Finn lives around there and they'll have to keep his home in the 35th. But the district is also going to have to shift towards the Aberdeen/Hoquiam area so it may lose parts of Thurston County to account for that.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #2554 on: August 08, 2011, 07:59:18 PM »

Well, what else could they have done other than cut spending....? The public rejected any form of tax increase....
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2555 on: August 08, 2011, 08:03:07 PM »

Well, what else could they have done other than cut spending....? The public rejected any form of tax increase....

The shredding of workers' comp was entirely unnecessary.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2556 on: August 08, 2011, 09:21:29 PM »

I honestly haven't been paying a lot of attention to legislative redistricting. I'm thinking there's a good chance I'll be moved from 5 to 45, though.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #2557 on: August 09, 2011, 01:50:34 AM »

Is Washington state going to have major budget fights in the legislature every year now like California because of that 2010 ballot measure that mandated a 2/3 supermajority for tax increases?

We don't really have major budget fights here in Oregon but we do have a 3/5 supermajority requirement for tax increases.

I really think raising taxes should only need a simple majority Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2558 on: August 10, 2011, 04:03:28 PM »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politicsnorthwest/2015870631_kennewick_candidate_threatens.html

wtf
Seattle
United States

« Reply #2559 on: August 10, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »

Incredibly disturbing.... Does he value life that lowly....
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #2560 on: August 12, 2011, 04:17:40 AM »

Washington has an illegal immigrant problem?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2561 on: August 12, 2011, 04:22:07 AM »

We have illegal immigrants, yes, especially in the Yakima and Tri-Cities area. I wouldn't say that's a "problem" though. They keep the economy running out there.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2562 on: August 12, 2011, 06:18:20 AM »

Vancouver Mayor Tim Leavitt is apparently thinking about running in the 3rd District, but he's not saying which party he'd run as because he's a moderate or something (I'm sure the Washington Democratic Party is going to be ready to jump right on board after starting out your campaign with a statement like that!) http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/aug/11/vancouver-mayor-weighing-congressional-race/

Setting aside the extreme difficulty he has now created for himself in winning over the Democratic base, Leavitt would also be a pretty awful candidate given his record. He beat a long-time incumbent in 2009 after running on an anti-toll platform for the Columbia River Crossing. He then completely reversed his position several months into office. I'd imagine his approval rating is pretty awful and the attack ads pretty much write themselves.

The article also mentions that Clark County Commissioner Steve Stuart - a committed Democrat who is friends with State Senator Craig Pridemore - is mulling over the race. He'd be a much better candidate though I still suspect he'd end up coming up short.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2563 on: August 12, 2011, 07:00:28 AM »

I hear Leavitt endorsed Dino Rossi last year, which I would think would eliminate any chance of him having support of the Democratic Party.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2564 on: August 12, 2011, 02:43:21 PM »

Vancouver Mayor Tim Leavitt is apparently thinking about running in the 3rd District, but he's not saying which party he'd run as because he's a moderate or something (I'm sure the Washington Democratic Party is going to be ready to jump right on board after starting out your campaign with a statement like that!) http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/aug/11/vancouver-mayor-weighing-congressional-race/

Setting aside the extreme difficulty he has now created for himself in winning over the Democratic base, Leavitt would also be a pretty awful candidate given his record. He beat a long-time incumbent in 2009 after running on an anti-toll platform for the Columbia River Crossing. He then completely reversed his position several months into office. I'd imagine his approval rating is pretty awful and the attack ads pretty much write themselves.

The article also mentions that Clark County Commissioner Steve Stuart - a committed Democrat who is friends with State Senator Craig Pridemore - is mulling over the race. He'd be a much better candidate though I still suspect he'd end up coming up short.

He'll probably wait for Jeanne Harris to give him orders before he makes his decision.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2565 on: August 12, 2011, 06:36:10 PM »

Is Washington state going to have major budget fights in the legislature every year now like California because of that 2010 ballot measure that mandated a 2/3 supermajority for tax increases?

We don't really have major budget fights here in Oregon but we do have a 3/5 supermajority requirement for tax increases.

I really think raising taxes should only need a simple majority Tongue

If anti-tax conservatives demand supermajorities of two-thirds or three-fifths, is it so unreasonable to demand similar-sized majorities for cutting taxes and spending? 
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #2566 on: August 12, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2011, 10:01:43 PM by SayNotoJonHuntsman »

We have illegal immigrants, yes, especially in the Yakima and Tri-Cities area. I wouldn't say that's a "problem" though. They keep the economy running out there.

I meant on par with say California or other places in the Southwest, where there is a lot of pressure on public services because of it. I know the farming industry basically relies on them nowadays, so it doesn't surprise me too much that there are many in Yakima, but I never really hear anything in the news about a Washington state Jan Brewer like figure, so I haven't really associated illegal immigration as a major issue with Washingtonians.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2567 on: August 13, 2011, 02:08:07 AM »

I meant on par with say California or other places in the Southwest, where there is a lot of pressure on public services because of it. I know the farming industry basically relies on them nowadays, so it doesn't surprise me too much that there are many in Yakima, but I never really hear anything in the news about a Washington state Jan Brewer like figure, so I haven't really associated illegal immigration as a major issue with Washingtonians.

That's because we like to keep our crazy republicans as far away from the governorship as possible.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #2568 on: August 13, 2011, 03:23:37 PM »

That's because we like to keep our crazy republicans as far away from the governorship as possible.
More like, the Washington state Republican party knows they won't have the slightest chance of ever catching the governorship if they ran a far right candidate.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #2569 on: August 13, 2011, 05:37:23 PM »

More like, the Washington state Republican party knows they won't have the slightest chance of ever catching the governorship if they ran a far right candidate.

I'm not talking about Republicans, I'm just observing that since no one seems to mention the issue in the state, that it isn't much of a problem in Washington.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2570 on: August 13, 2011, 05:53:39 PM »

I'm not talking about Republicans, I'm just observing that since no one seems to mention the issue in the state, that it isn't much of a problem in Washington.

Oh there are republicans that talk about it constantly, they just don't really have the means of doing anything. Meanwhile the rest of the state seems to be rather fine with immigrants, although I would say that its more of an apathetic state-wide view rather than a pro-immigrants/immigration view.

On a side note there definitely are a relatively large number of immigrants in the state, so it's not that there simply "isn't an immigration 'problem'" but rather the difference in public perception compared to other states.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2571 on: August 16, 2011, 06:25:23 PM »

So by what margin is the tunnel authorization thing going to fail by today?

And more importantly: does it matter?
Seattle
United States

« Reply #2572 on: August 16, 2011, 09:06:58 PM »

So by what margin is the tunnel authorization thing going to fail by today?

And more importantly: does it matter?
Lol. I wish they'd just build something. I'm not fan of the tunnel, but honestly, were playing a very dangerous game.....
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2573 on: August 16, 2011, 10:21:03 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2011, 10:22:59 PM by bgwah »

Tunnel "wins" with 60%.

Hague only got 39% in her primary---definitely might see her go down in November. I hope so, at least. Mitchell is currently leading Creighton for 2nd place.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2574 on: August 16, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »

Tunnel "wins" with 60%.

Hague only got 39% in her primary---definitely might see her go down in November. I hope so, at least. Mitchell is currently leading Creighton for 2nd place.

Thank god. I think Seattle may have finally learned its lesson after the Monorail debacle (just think, I could be jetting around town in a freaking awesome monorail had voters not been nutzo)
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 253  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies