Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:14:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 837010 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: March 31, 2009, 05:29:36 AM »

http://horsesass.org/?p=14562

Wow... Geoff Simpson is awesome.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #876 on: March 31, 2009, 06:18:31 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2009, 06:20:42 AM by Alcon »

No, Geoff Simpson is just a loudmouth jerk who happens to be correct, and know how to copy-paste.  Google pretty much any portion of his response.

Nonetheless, it does take cojones.  I'll give him that.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #877 on: March 31, 2009, 03:04:59 PM »

No, Geoff Simpson is just a loudmouth jerk who happens to be correct, and know how to copy-paste. 

Thanks, Moderate Hero

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I can read the comments. And no, I don't expect Simpson to actually spend a ton of time researching and writing all of that himself to reply to some crazy biatch who doesn't even live in his district.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #878 on: March 31, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »

I don't exactly know Puyallup that well, but I see no real patterns here.

There were some pretty strong victories (>60) but it all seems pretty randomish.  Maybe you see something else, Meeker?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #879 on: April 04, 2009, 11:33:27 PM »

There might be a revolt next week amongst House Democrats re: Worker Privacy Act. Stay tuned...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #880 on: April 06, 2009, 07:02:33 PM »

Is there even a remote chance Washington voters would approve an income tax?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #881 on: April 07, 2009, 01:34:19 AM »

If it's just on the rich, maybe. If it's coupled with a sales tax reduction/elimination, maybe.

On the population as a whole on its own? No way.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #882 on: April 07, 2009, 01:39:31 AM »

If it's just on the rich, maybe. If it's coupled with a sales tax reduction/elimination, maybe.

It would be worth considering if it eliminated the state sales tax.

Otherwise it seems like a waste of time to discuss it. Not to mention political suicide for the Democrats for no good reason...
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #883 on: April 07, 2009, 01:52:43 AM »

It would be worth considering if it eliminated the state sales tax.

Otherwise it seems like a waste of time to discuss it. Not to mention political suicide for the Democrats for no good reason...

I agree. Most Washingtonians would actually see a tax cut if we were to switch from a sales tax to an income tax.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #884 on: April 07, 2009, 03:23:36 AM »

How about a wealth tax instead?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #885 on: April 07, 2009, 04:22:41 AM »

Something to keep in mind is that a lot of Brown's rhetoric in recent days and weeks could be routed in her 2012 desires. An income tax is pretty much DOA in the House (Chopp has no balls) and Brown may just be spouting off this income tax stuff to endear herself to the left-wing of the party.

Left-wing and progressives + Eastern Democrats + Sonntag and Inslee splitting the remaining Democratic vote = Brown in the general?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #886 on: April 10, 2009, 08:34:15 AM »

Susan Hutchinson is running for King County Executive. lol.

Silly non-partisan rules mean a lot of people won't figure out she's a Republican (and a crazy one at that).
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #887 on: April 10, 2009, 02:24:18 PM »

The Republicans were going to find a sacrificial lamb sooner or later, I suppose...

Not convinced she'll make it past the primary, though. But Jarrett vs. Hutchison would be funny.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #888 on: April 10, 2009, 08:09:17 PM »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if she finishes in third or even fourth.

Hopefully Pam Roach wants another bite at the apple.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #889 on: April 15, 2009, 11:57:41 PM »

The State House just passed the National Popular Vote Compact 52-42 (it previously passed the Senate 28-21). It appears to have been amended in the House though, so back to the Senate it goes.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #890 on: April 16, 2009, 12:42:27 AM »

The State House just passed the National Popular Vote Compact 52-42 (it previously passed the Senate 28-21). It appears to have been amended in the House though, so back to the Senate it goes.

House crossover
Dems voting "no": Reuven Carlyle (D-Seattle), Laura Grant-Herriot (D-Walla Walla), Zak Hudgins (D-Tukwila), Ross Hunter (D-Medina), Tina Orwall (D-Normandy Park), Jamie Pedersen (D-Seattle), Sharon Tamiko Santos (D-Vashon Island) and Alex Wood (D-Spokane).

Pubbies voting "yes": None.

Pretty impressive that the Democrats can bleed lots of urban-core reps (I wonder why?) and still carry a vote by 10.

Can't find the House version.  The companion bill doesn't list a vote?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #891 on: April 16, 2009, 03:36:52 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2009, 03:38:35 AM by Alcon »

Gay Marriage Except in Name is headed for Gregoire's signature.  The only Democrat to vote against it was Mark Miloscia (D-Federal Way).  The Republican co-sponsors, Maureen Walsh (R-College Place) and Norm Johnson (R-Yakima), both voted yes.  The Moderate Heroes apparently all fell in line on this'n, although I don't know who the two absent were.  Maybe Grant-Herriot decided to take a long lunch.

An announcement for a supposedly massive signature drive to land a repeal on the November ballot is expected tomorrow.  Assuming the drive isn't massively overstated, I look forward to the referendum going down in flames in November.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #892 on: April 16, 2009, 04:39:55 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2009, 04:46:33 AM by Alcon »

Three-cent sales tax increase is down 51-41 in preliminary polling, which wasn't as bad as I expected but is still bad -- especially considering healthcare was specifically mentioned in the question.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=8fc5c7d9-733b-410b-b762-79792b147e63

An earlier poll found a more extreme undercurrent of tax hostility:

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=192b5d4e-ed0b-43ee-96d8-8a40dec2df39

By a 74-20 margin, voters said that balancing the budget by increasing taxes was a bad idea.

The second poll is a bit weird.  Saving 10,000 college spots makes 29% of Washingtonians LESS likely to vote for such an increase, and only 27% more likely; but preventing larger class sizes and teacher lay-offs encourages people to vote yes 34-25.  Polls, whatever.

Still, proposals like this tend to degrade, not improve in the polls, and ten points down is a bad place to start.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #893 on: April 16, 2009, 04:16:33 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2009, 04:21:07 PM by VP Meeker »

House crossover
Dems voting "no": Reuven Carlyle (D-Seattle), Laura Grant-Herriot (D-Walla Walla), Zak Hudgins (D-Tukwila), Ross Hunter (D-Medina), Tina Orwall (D-Normandy Park), Jamie Pedersen (D-Seattle), Sharon Tamiko Santos (D-Vashon Island) and Alex Wood (D-Spokane).

Pubbies voting "yes": None.

Pretty impressive that the Democrats can bleed lots of urban-core reps (I wonder why?) and still carry a vote by 10.

Can't find the House version.  The companion bill doesn't list a vote?

Hudgins doesn't like the bill for a lot of logistical reasons (reasons that I completely agree with him on, FTR). All the Democrats that voted against it are his buddies (with the exception of Grant-Herriot who voted against it for other obvious reasons).

EDIT: It wasn't actually amended. Typo from last night.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #894 on: April 17, 2009, 08:43:14 PM »

The last sentence makes this article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #895 on: April 17, 2009, 09:17:15 PM »

State legislators can also hold a local office in Washington? I didn't think that kind of double-dipping was allowed outside of New Jersey.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #896 on: April 17, 2009, 09:51:12 PM »

State legislators can also hold a local office in Washington? I didn't think that kind of double-dipping was allowed outside of New Jersey.

There was a Supreme Court case about it when he first got elected to both, and the court ruled that the only thing prohibited by state law was appearing on the same ballot twice. Since the County Commissioner elections are in presidential years and the State Senate elections are in mid-term years, Sheldon has no legal issues.

He's still the only one to do it/a douchebag/a DINO/I hate him.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #897 on: April 18, 2009, 05:00:05 AM »

Jeanne Kohl-Welles (D-Seattle) has a bill relating to "protecting workers from human trafficking violations". It sailed through the Senate 46-0 and seemed like a fine bill to me at the time, but it barely passed the House today on a 50-48 vote. Anyone know what the hell happened?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #898 on: April 18, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »

There was a Supreme Court case about it when he first got elected to both, and the court ruled that the only thing prohibited by state law was appearing on the same ballot twice. Since the County Commissioner elections are in presidential years and the State Senate elections are in mid-term years, Sheldon has no legal issues.

He's still the only one to do it/a douchebag/a DINO/I hate him.

I think I have more qualms with Sheldon than you do. He represents me... I hope that when there is redistricting Western Thurston county will not be in the 35th LD. That man needs to be taken out of the political arena.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #899 on: April 18, 2009, 11:58:20 PM »

Ahh, here's that graph I was looking for:

Not to mention this report: http://www.itepnet.org/wp2000/wa%20pr.pdf

I'm tempted to vote against any sales tax increase...Not because I don't support a tax raise, but because the Democrats need to grow a pair and replace it with an income tax.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies