Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:17:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 837224 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: February 26, 2009, 12:16:44 PM »
« edited: February 26, 2009, 01:27:34 PM by Senator-elect Realisticidealist »

Question for my fellow Washingtonians: If Washington somehow manages to pull out an additional congressional district from the 2010 census (only possible if the DC bill passes and Utah gets its 4th before the census, I believe), what would the districts look like, and where would it go?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #776 on: February 26, 2009, 01:22:28 PM »

Question for my fellow Washingtonians: If Washington somehow manages to pull out an addition congressional district from the 2010 census (only possible if the DC bill passes and Utah gets its 4th before the census, I believe), what would the districts look like, and where would it go?

That is a good question.  I'll say this:  I have yet to see a district plan offered that doesn't have a trans-Cascades district.  Should make things pretty interesting.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #777 on: February 26, 2009, 01:47:49 PM »

Question for my fellow Washingtonians: If Washington somehow manages to pull out an addition congressional district from the 2010 census (only possible if the DC bill passes and Utah gets its 4th before the census, I believe), what would the districts look like, and where would it go?

That is a good question.  I'll say this:  I have yet to see a district plan offered that doesn't have a trans-Cascades district.  Should make things pretty interesting.

Of course you haven't, because not having one would be impossible...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #778 on: February 26, 2009, 01:52:18 PM »

Of course you haven't, because not having one would be impossible...

Maybe Hanford will explode before the next Census.

i win
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #779 on: February 26, 2009, 02:53:28 PM »

I just want Olympia to not be divided anymore, its annoying.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #780 on: February 26, 2009, 11:23:17 PM »

Darcy Burner, Version 2.0: http://delbeneforcongress.com/
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #781 on: February 27, 2009, 12:21:53 AM »

It's almost like a cruel parody... Sad
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #782 on: February 27, 2009, 12:31:09 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2009, 12:32:42 PM by Ogre Mage »

National Journal released its annual ranking of the most liberal and conservative senators based on their 2008 voting record.  And the most liberal senator in 2008 was our own, Patty MurrayCheesy

I suppose, in fairness, Teddy was out for much of last year so maybe her trophy should come with an asterisk, lol.

Look for the WA GOP to attack her on this in 2010.  Not that it will help them.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/02/obama-congress.html
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #783 on: February 27, 2009, 01:36:49 PM »

Dear lord no.

Burner would have been a good congresswoman once she got elected but she just couldn't get past that initial hurdle.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #784 on: February 27, 2009, 02:33:57 PM »

I've never understood how Murray manages to have identical approval ratings to Cantwell.  I mean, huh?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #785 on: February 27, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »

Joe Turner is angry: http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/politics/2009/02/27/democrats_say_they_get_so_little_credit_

Well worth a read.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #786 on: February 27, 2009, 11:44:55 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2009, 06:03:48 AM by Ogre Mage »

Aimee Curl wrote a good but long profile of Sen. Murray in the Seattle Weekly.  Some possible clues to her popularity can be surmised from reading it.  One passage noted:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As for the politics of 2010, former opponent George Nethercutt notes:

http://www.seattleweekly.com/2009-01-28/news/patty-murray-s-unlikely-hill-climb/1

I think this is the first time Murray has topped the NJ rankings.  Her 2008 liberal score of 92.7% is higher than her lifetime liberal score, which is 84%.  It's not clear if 2008 is an anomaly or if she is really moving toward Ted Kennedy/Jack Reed/Barbara Boxer land.

Cantwell's average lifetime liberal score looks to be in the high 70s, putting her firmly in mainstream Democratic territory.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #787 on: February 28, 2009, 08:27:37 AM »

p.s. i blame my productivity on the meth they put in mike's deluxe

and no date Sad
That looks like very soft cheap bread. And very cheap processed cheese. Not even the salad looks healthy. Quality of the sausage is harder to judge, although if it's good quality it's sliced too thin for maximum tastyness, which of course leads me to believe it's probably as crappy as the remainder.
So, it's not the meth. Just the general badness. Not that I'm complaining, though. Keep eating bad food and making great maps, Ben!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #788 on: February 28, 2009, 08:32:54 AM »

deathdig - I-1000/Death with Dignity Cool one

What's the bright red precinct here like; it seems to stand out on a couple other maps as well?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #789 on: February 28, 2009, 01:36:40 PM »

I had a bad feeling about Hecht since the moment I met him. Excuse me whilst I rub this in the face of my Hecht-voting mother...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #790 on: February 28, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2009, 02:22:29 PM by Alcon »

deathdig - I-1000/Death with Dignity Cool one

What's the bright red precinct here like; it seems to stand out on a couple other maps as well?

Grandview.  Random spot of farmland, 10 voters.

Populated areas it failed:

1. Lutheran retirement complex (in the northwest of the zoom map)

2. A few scattered working-class precincts in South Seattle

3. A weird cluster of four suburban precincts (see zoom map) that seem slightly less Democratic than they should be.  bgwah and I decided that it might be because of a conservative Lutheran church in the area.  Only real explanation for it failing this we could come up with.

4. Some Bellevue precincts filled with a mix of Indian immigrants and olds.

5. A Kirkland precinct with a Catholic university, that also swung from Bush +37 to a tie.  3:2 against Death with Dignity, though.

6. A slightly inexplicable new apartment complex just south of Seattle, which voted 97%-2% Obama and 2-to-1 "no" on Death with Dignity, easily the biggest failure in the county.  No real idea there on either count.

7. A mish-mash of older and more socially conservative precincts to the South, plus the Muckleshoot Rez (on the southern county border, guess where fromthe turnout map!).

I assume (6) must include some Catholic areas, because I-1000 actually did fine in the most social con part of King County, the rural southeast outside of Enumclaw.  Yet another damn reason I wish the Census tracked religion.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #791 on: February 28, 2009, 02:12:10 PM »

Sort of an enclave of not-yet-developped land. I approve of it.

But why is it its own precinct? Huh Oh, Washington State with its tiny precincts that make a mockery of the secrecy of the vote...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #792 on: February 28, 2009, 02:21:43 PM »

But why is it its own precinct? Huh Oh, Washington State with its tiny precincts that make a mockery of the secrecy of the vote...

Kinda impossible to avoid.  It's wedged between SeaTac, Kent and Tukwila.  Don't hate though, privacy consolidations (and unnecessarily large precincts) turn into crap like this.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #793 on: February 28, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »

Kinda impossible to avoid.  It's wedged between SeaTac, Kent and Tukwila.
So? They could easily either have them vote in one of the neighboring precincts except for city elections, or (though that would be ugly) do a privacy consolidation with some other uninhabited scraps of land. Or just have one of the cities formally annex it.
You mean those grey areas had votes cast and they weren't consolidated into something else but just not released?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #794 on: February 28, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »

They could easily either have them vote in one of the neighboring precincts except for city elections
Too complicated. They print one ballot type per precinct.

or (though that would be ugly) do a privacy consolidation with some other uninhabited scraps of land
Only if they were all in the same Legislative District, County Council District, Congressional District, Fire District, School District, etc.

Or just have one of the cities formally annex it.
While this would be nice, cities generally don't make annexation decisions based upon precinct-privacy concerns.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #795 on: February 28, 2009, 03:01:53 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2009, 03:05:56 PM by Lewis (sorry, mate). »

They could easily either have them vote in one of the neighboring precincts except for city elections

While it does indeed make things a bit more complicated, it's not as if other states weren't doing the same thing... of course, in some states city elections are held on a different date.

The easiest thing to manage would probably be a privacy consolidation with a neighboring city precinct.

Incidentally, some German states have areas outside the municipal organization as well - most extensive in Bavaria. Hesse has a few. All but one are quite sizable, actually, and all but one (a different one) are entirely uninhabited. That one has two inhabitants at some inn in the middle of the forest. (The nearest inhabited area is quite near, actually, but is in Lower Saxony. The nearest inhabited area in Hesse is, like 10 km away or something.)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #796 on: February 28, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »

1. Incorporated/unincorporated split precincts piss me off and are technically against Washington state law (doesn't stop about four counties), which is good, because they piss me off.  Even if it's just ten voters, it's not the right total, damn it!

2. They actually do that when they can (here), but they can't here.

3. I imagine that the Grandview people have intentionally avoided being in any of those cities.  That's generally how islands like this form.

4. No elections department actually cares about voter privacy.  They just start going with it if their elections software starts doing it automatically.

5. Small precincts are fun.

On Pierce, the gray precincts were consolidated in the sense that you can get their total by subtracting the given total from the county total Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #797 on: February 28, 2009, 03:11:27 PM »

2. They actually do that when they can (here), but they can't here.
Makes sense, thanx.
Or if there's a law to follow. Germany bans undersized precincts. Although the rule doesn't seem to be entirely hard and fast - Frankfurt's smallest precinct (about 200-odd registered voters) is that way because the nearest inhabited area is a good bit away, but presumably also because it's always been that way (ie if that neighborhood were built in that size today, they'd tell people to not be so frigging lazy if they want to vote.) Berlin actually does a results presentayshe consolidation for a small precinct of about 100 people on an island.

In a way. A low average precinct size is fun (f[/color=black]uc[/color]k privacy - well at least as we're still talking, say, 50+ or 40+ votes I agree with the sentiment). A wide variation is more annoying than fun - makes for stupid queries like mine that started this discussion. Grin
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #798 on: February 28, 2009, 05:09:07 PM »

My precinct was split between the transit-zone thing that voted on the light rail and what not last November. I was on the side of the subdivision's street that didn't get to vote, lulz (the borders make no sense IMO).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #799 on: February 28, 2009, 05:48:48 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2009, 06:27:47 PM by Alcon »

My precinct was split between the transit-zone thing that voted on the light rail and what not last November. I was on the side of the subdivision's street that didn't get to vote, lulz (the borders make no sense IMO).

There are places that don't split at all, but WA is not one of them.  In Clark County, Nevada, and New York City, you'll see pages of precincts that just contain a land parcel or two.  Some of them have no voters, some one house or a development, some just an apartment complex.  Pretty ridiculous.

I like the tiny-vote precincts but they do mess up maps.  Okanogan County is kind of fun -- its precincts are all between 40 and 150 voters.  But I think that the ideal precinct size in a populous county about 250-750.  To be fair to King, its precincts are optimally-sized otherwise, and they do a good job of actually making them neighborhood-relevant.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies