Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:56:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 844505 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: January 10, 2009, 04:31:16 PM »

Anyone else sad about the news regarding the P-I? A chill goes down my spine every time I remember the Blethen Times will be all that's left.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #676 on: January 11, 2009, 05:09:22 PM »

So...Sergio Armijo's kid, and some Broadway shop owners, say that Mike Hecht cruises underaged male prostitutes down by Club Silverstone.

Discuss!

http://www.thenewstribune.com/front/topstories/story/591174.html

(I like how the article says that Antique Row is known for prostitution, as if it wasn't all Club Silverstone.  Hot, sexy WWI-era lamps, anyone?)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #677 on: January 11, 2009, 05:12:59 PM »

Michael Hecht? Michael Hecht? What kind of a sick joke is this? I suppose that there's "something of the night about him"?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #678 on: January 12, 2009, 12:03:42 AM »

LOL

I knew there was something weird about Hecht. Then again, the Armijo/Hecht grudge is the dirtiest feud in Pierce County...
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #679 on: January 13, 2009, 02:36:53 PM »

I love local politics
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #680 on: January 13, 2009, 08:18:25 PM »

I was just thinking, for all the unending corruption in Tacoma, this is the only pure, consenting sex scandal I can remember.

weird.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #681 on: January 13, 2009, 09:58:51 PM »

We're not too big on the sexual scandals. Or at least we're not public about them.

Anyways, the slime on the Pierce County Council has just picked Jan "Carbuncles" Shabro to be the next Auditor. I look forward to Katie Blinn crushing her this fall and delivering Shabro her third electoral defeat in four years. Maybe then she'll crawl back under her rock.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #682 on: January 14, 2009, 08:31:35 PM »

We're not too big on the sexual scandals. Or at least we're not public about them.

Or maybe what they say really is true.

Anyways, the slime on the Pierce County Council has just picked Jan "Carbuncles" Shabro to be the next Auditor. I look forward to Katie Blinn crushing her this fall and delivering Shabro her third electoral defeat in four years. Maybe then she'll crawl back under her rock.

Is there any guarantee that she would crush Shabro, though?  Shabro has the name recognition...

Anyway, I thought this little anecdote sums up the next Gubernatorial race well (and, coincidentally, my opinions on Brian Sonntag and Brad Owen):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As for Owen, I still most definitely don't regret voting for the Jewish lady who liked the gays.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #683 on: January 14, 2009, 08:35:41 PM »

Sonntag '12

Too bad he's too old to serve as Governor for five terms Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #684 on: January 14, 2009, 10:28:10 PM »

Is there any guarantee that she would crush Shabro, though?  Shabro has the name recognition...

Shabro has name recognition out in the East, but the voters of this county are pretty good at figuring out who is the most qualified candidate in non-partisan races.

Wait... they just elected Washam.

Hmmm.

Shit.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #685 on: January 15, 2009, 08:29:33 AM »

McIntire, Dorn and Goldmark have all taken office now. Apparently Goldmark is the first CPL from east of the Cascades.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #686 on: January 15, 2009, 11:18:48 PM »

McIntire, Dorn and Goldmark have all taken office now. Apparently Goldmark is the first CPL from east of the Cascades.

Politicians from Eastern Washington making it statewide is pretty rare. Eastern Washingtonian Democrats are generally pretty good candidates, though--I doubt Goldmark would have won if he were from King County (but otherwise the same), for example.

Pierce County Democrats are another winning strategy, based on my observations...
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #687 on: January 16, 2009, 02:00:20 AM »

Word on the street is that the Chairman of the Pierce County Republican Party is about to become Deputy Auditor.

gag
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #688 on: January 20, 2009, 01:20:04 AM »

Voting has begun in the King County Elections Director race. If you're a person of faith, prayers for a non-Pam Roach outcome would be appreciated.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #689 on: January 21, 2009, 02:42:10 AM »

Summary of Sam Reed's top-two reform:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sounds good to me.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #690 on: January 21, 2009, 02:50:10 AM »

Is there any chance Huff could lose this election? As far as I can tell there is one major Democratic candidate and two Republican (not to mention this is a very Democratic county).
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #691 on: January 21, 2009, 02:53:46 AM »

I'm pretty sure she'll win, but then again I thought Dale Washam would get something like 10% of the vote down here. Non-partisan races in this state can get a little weird.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #692 on: January 24, 2009, 05:09:18 AM »

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/olympia/2009/jan/22/lisa-brown-early-contender-2012-governors-race/

Lisa Brown is thinking of running for Governor, eh...

ohhh, there are so many Democrats I like who might run for Governor in 2012... Sad
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #693 on: January 27, 2009, 02:33:12 AM »

I'd be surprised if Brown runs... she's Queen of the Senate for the foreseeable future.

Two bits:

Larry Phillips (D) has announced his intention to run for King County Executive this fall (or should Sims take an Administration job sometime soon as is rumored). It's not 100% clear whether or not Phillips will stay in the race should Sims run again, but considering their less than warm past relationship I would be surprised if Phillips dropped out.

Also, turnout for the Director of Elections race is at 10.6% thus far. I have no idea what equivalent turnout is for any other election as King County doesn't post that, but there you have it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #694 on: January 27, 2009, 02:36:12 AM »

Larry Phillips (D) has announced his intention to run for King County Executive this fall (or should Sims take an Administration job sometime soon as is rumored). It's not 100% clear whether or not Phillips will stay in the race should Sims run again, but considering their less than warm past relationship I would be surprised if Phillips dropped out.

Pretty much everyone who knows Larry Phillips is convinced that, if he doesn't run, it's not deference to Sims but a concession that he'd probably lose.  I think he'd make a race of it, though.

Also, turnout for the Director of Elections race is at 10.6% thus far. I have no idea what equivalent turnout is for any other election as King County doesn't post that, but there you have it.

Not good.  Off-year special election not-good.

Where are you getting that stat?  King County seems to have not even bothered to post it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #695 on: January 27, 2009, 02:39:27 AM »

In Pam Roach news, someone noticed that she listed her brokering firm on her F-1 disclosure statement as "Les Schwab"

i'd believe it.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #696 on: January 27, 2009, 02:40:45 AM »

http://your.kingcounty.gov/elections/abstats/

I knew it was low, but is it lower than one would suspect for a special election in the early part of an off-year?

And major LOL @ Roachie. The King County GOP is refusing to phonebank for her (they're just all excited about David Irons and his 18%!)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #697 on: January 27, 2009, 02:46:47 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2009, 02:48:43 AM by Alcon »

http://your.kingcounty.gov/elections/abstats/

I knew it was low, but is it lower than one would suspect for a special election in the early part of an off-year?

It's off-year primary low.  Which is kind of pathetic, since the only places where there are more than issue on the ballot are, I think, Enumclaw and Fall City.  It's probably slightly above average for election in the early part of an off-year, but considering how high-profile this race was (relatively) it's kinda low.  It always confuses me how many people vote in most primaries but absolutely ignore even special elections that get media coverage...but early returns are never really that indicative in King County, for whatever reason.

I'm having trouble envisioning Huff not winning at this point.  Who are Democrats going to split off with, the lady who got arrested for lying about ballots and now posts on HorsesAss?

edit: Oh yeah, the enumclaw/fall city thing is on what you linked.  heh.  I should really get eight hours of sleep one of these days.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #698 on: January 27, 2009, 02:54:36 AM »

I envision it going down something like this:

Huff: 40%
Irons: 25%
Assorted crazies: 20%
Roach: 15%

I might be overestimating crazy potential...
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #699 on: January 27, 2009, 04:09:37 AM »

Did Toby Nixon endorse Kempf? My opinion of him would drop rather significantly if so.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies