Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:48:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 837102 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: October 19, 2008, 11:28:42 AM »

Ok, how about the facts that:
1) He really knows nothing about how to run a state governement

Subjective. Can't be proven.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Examples?

"Are seen as..."

Well, obviously not the case with the voters. Again, this isn't really a "fact."

...looks like enough people agree that Washington desperately needs him.  Wink

What would you like him to do?

Ok but I don't consider that a pressing problem. It's more of the fault of the voters if they can't see through it. Maybe they do see through it and just don't care.

Whatever the case, these arguments still aren't really that strong against the guy. We're going to have policy and style differences but my point is that the guy is clearly a very strong, capable candidate and WA Dems/Gregoire supporters are clearly worried.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #326 on: October 19, 2008, 11:51:40 AM »

He's also almost not white.  The Barack Obama of Washington state!  For real.

Because he's part Eskimo and Italian? Ok...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #327 on: October 19, 2008, 11:56:58 AM »

Around here, that counts as almost not white.  He also has a funny name.  He's a foreigner, but we're tolerant of that.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #328 on: October 19, 2008, 11:59:27 AM »

My main concern about Rossi getting elected is fairly esoteric. The Democratic Governor streak since Booth Gardner has helped create one of the best state governments in the country. The same sort of people have been holding administrative and bureaucratic posts since the mid-1980's, so they've become very good at it. Governing magazine ranked our state government as one of the three best in the nation (along with Virginia and Utah).

If Rossi gets elected though, he's promised to cut 40% of state employees, and then the rest will get replaced in the typical party-changing fashion that both sides do when they come to power. Why anyone would want to do that to a state government that works so well is mind-boggling to me.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #329 on: October 19, 2008, 11:59:48 AM »

Around here, that counts as almost not white.  He also has a funny name.  He's a foreigner, but we're tolerant of that.

You agree about the awful fiftiesness of that photothingy?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #330 on: October 19, 2008, 12:10:46 PM »

Just for the record (for those not aware that you're joking) - He's not a foreigner.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #331 on: October 19, 2008, 03:23:13 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2008, 03:25:25 PM by bgwah »

Wow, the Spokesman Review endorsed Gregoire today. What a pleasant surprise. Smiley

lol @ McCain/Gregoire voters in Eastern Washington.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #332 on: October 19, 2008, 03:39:32 PM »

Just for the record (for those not aware that you're joking) - He's not a foreigner.

I'm not sure we can believe a man with so many foreigners in his signature.

Rossi's also part Native American, not "Eskimo," which is an offensive term.

Please take your racism and leave our topic.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #333 on: October 19, 2008, 05:05:19 PM »

Gregoire never actually, um, what's the word... did that. The State Party put up a movie attacking Rossi's connections to the BIAW which vaguely parodied The Sopranos.

I admired her strong repudiation thereof.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #334 on: October 21, 2008, 01:36:24 PM »

Phil in terms of plans I was referring to his transportation plan, which has been attacked by all sides and basically all the experts. And I really do see a problem with people who claim to be moderates when in reality they aren't. They are purposefully misrepresenting themselves in an effort to get elected. The voting public has enough trouble as it is without that clouding their judgement.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #335 on: October 21, 2008, 05:38:16 PM »

Oh by the way does anyone know how the state senate and house races are going? Is the trend towards Republicans or Democrats gaining seats? Or does it look like there will few if any changes (seems likely to me at this point). A supermajority would be nice as insurance against a possible Rossi win.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #336 on: October 21, 2008, 07:18:08 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2008, 07:23:01 PM by PPTE Meeker »

There are really only two competitive State Senate races. Carrell (R) is locked in a tight re-election battle as always, and Rasmussen (D) is facing an aggressive challenger (and on top of that no one really like Rasmussen). Republicans would like to think they can take out Kastama (D) and Haugen (D), but they're not in any real trouble. Weird things might happen in the 40th (Open D). Democrats should be able to retain it though.

There's a number of competitive contests for the State House. Anderson (R) is locked in a surprisingly tough fight (maybe he should stop the hanky panky with Sen. Pflug - oops, did I say that?) Other Republicans who might be in trouble are Ahern and the open seats in the 17th and the 25th. Maybe the two in the 10th as well, but probably not. Democrats need to be concerned about Barlow, Loomis, Goodman, Simpson and the open seat in the 26th and possibly the ones in the 35th and 41st.

So overall I'd give the Senate a net change of +0 to both sides, but if anything were to happen it would be D +1 (Carrell). In the House it's probably going to be a Republican net gain of one or two. But a lot will depend on how influential Obama is with down-ticket races.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #337 on: October 21, 2008, 08:32:56 PM »

My state legislators are f**king each other? How do you know?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #338 on: October 21, 2008, 08:36:43 PM »

My state legislators are f**king each other? How do you know?

Open secret down in Olympia. And the 5th District Republican Party.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #339 on: October 21, 2008, 08:41:59 PM »

and I thought the Irons family was as weird as Sammamish/East Kingco politics would ever get
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #340 on: October 21, 2008, 08:54:45 PM »

do you know how long they've been at it? Anderson is married... Pflug was until recently (is this what ended it?).
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #341 on: October 21, 2008, 08:58:45 PM »

There are really only two competitive State Senate races. Carrell (R) is locked in a tight re-election battle as always, and Rasmussen (D) is facing an aggressive challenger (and on top of that no one really like Rasmussen). Republicans would like to think they can take out Kastama (D) and Haugen (D), but they're not in any real trouble. Weird things might happen in the 40th (Open D). Democrats should be able to retain it though.

There's a number of competitive contests for the State House. Anderson (R) is locked in a surprisingly tough fight (maybe he should stop the hanky panky with Sen. Pflug - oops, did I say that?) Other Republicans who might be in trouble are Ahern and the open seats in the 17th and the 25th. Maybe the two in the 10th as well, but probably not. Democrats need to be concerned about Barlow, Loomis, Goodman, Simpson and the open seat in the 26th and possibly the ones in the 35th and 41st.

So overall I'd give the Senate a net change of +0 to both sides, but if anything were to happen it would be D +1 (Carrell). In the House it's probably going to be a Republican net gain of one or two. But a lot will depend on how influential Obama is with down-ticket races.

I live in the 35th, you have no reason to be afraid, Finn has strong support and his opponent is crazy radical (though will still likely get around 40-45% of the vote).
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #342 on: October 21, 2008, 09:08:56 PM »

do you know how long they've been at it? Anderson is married... Pflug was until recently (is this what ended it?).

Yup.

Started sometime in the last two years is my understanding. DeBolt is also messing around with committee staff.

Also, if anyone was curious, Gregoire is sick.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #343 on: October 21, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »

Yup.

Started sometime in the last two years is my understanding. DeBolt is also messing around with committee staff.

Is there a reason Democrats never choose to pursue these things? They knew what West was up to, left it alone, and he ended up as a disaster for Spokane.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #344 on: October 21, 2008, 09:15:29 PM »

Yup.

Is there a reason Democrats never choose to pursue these things? They knew what West was up to, left it alone, and he ended up as a disaster for Spokane.
If that got released about Debolt his reelection could have been in serious jeopardy as Rechner was doing relatively well against him in his district...
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #345 on: October 21, 2008, 09:30:07 PM »

But he was so good for business!

Disgraceful.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #346 on: October 21, 2008, 09:31:42 PM »

Yup.

Because there are also several Democrats who haven't exactly kept their pants on.

We hide their scandals, they hide ours.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #347 on: October 22, 2008, 02:29:28 AM »

Yup.

Because there are also several Democrats who haven't exactly kept their pants on.

We hide their scandals, they hide ours.

Uh oh.  Has Gregoire's cancer come back?

What would really make me chuckle is if Jamie Pedersen was messing around with Marko Liias.   LOL.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #348 on: October 22, 2008, 05:25:30 PM »

Back to my Sonntag question--if Rossi wins this year do you guys think it's likely that he would run in 2012? It would help me sleep at night knowing it was only a matter of time before he destroyed that slimy little prick. Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #349 on: October 22, 2008, 05:27:30 PM »

Back to my Sonntag question--if Rossi wins this year do you guys think it's likely that he would run in 2012? It would help me sleep at night knowing it was only a matter of time before he destroyed that slimy little prick. Smiley

He's definitely going to run. That's the only reason he's been putting out signs and billboards and crap this year.

Inslee, of course, will also run.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies