Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:24:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 230 231 [232] 233 234 235 236 237 ... 252
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 845388 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5775 on: August 06, 2020, 11:11:14 PM »

The Democrats could pull ahead in WA-08 once more ballots come in, and while primaries here are somewhat predicative of the general election, I'd be stunned if Schrier lost in an environment like this. Probably either means that this particular primary will be a bit off (it happens from time to time), or we're headed for a closer national race than we initially thought. Hard to see Herrera Beutler losing, though, even if the margin tightens a bit. I think moving WA-03 to Lean R was a bit premature anyway.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5776 on: August 07, 2020, 10:58:53 AM »

You also have to wonder whether the recent developments in Seattle have pushed the electorate to the right.  The left has truly created an abysmal political environment for themselves here.

There's nothing but bad news here, the city has truly gone off the deep end.  We've had CHAZ, defunding, rioting and looting, and the junkie/hoarder encampments crisis, all boosted and defended by the city.  We recently passed a major tax that is explicitly designed to destroy our tax base by forcing Amazon out of the city.  And there are other major economic mismanagement issues that don't get much attention, like two critical failing bridges (W Seattle and Magnolia) that the city refuses to take seriously.  The city is completely held hostage by activists, who generate unflattering news reports every day with their hostile tactics.

I am a hardcore Democrat and I would happily vote for any Republican at the municipal level right now.  I'm certainly not the only person feeling that way.  That doesn't mean I would vote for a Republican for governor or congress, but others may not make that distinction.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5777 on: August 07, 2020, 12:43:26 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2020, 06:46:10 PM by Oryxslayer »

The Democrats could pull ahead in WA-08 once more ballots come in, and while primaries here are somewhat predicative of the general election, I'd be stunned if Schrier lost in an environment like this. Probably either means that this particular primary will be a bit off (it happens from time to time), or we're headed for a closer national race than we initially thought. Hard to see Herrera Beutler losing, though, even if the margin tightens a bit. I think moving WA-03 to Lean R was a bit premature anyway.

Casual reminder that the current leading republican only has 53K on hand to Schrier's 2.3 Million. This is a similar tale to a lot of other races in the country: the GOP could get competitive if they cared. However, the environment is poor enough that they were pushed into a house campaign of focused targets that abandons the rest. It's only compounded by the fact that many of the potential targets are in suburbs in with pricey media markets, meaning that you need to play wide and raise wheelbarrows of cash to actually get recognition.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5778 on: August 07, 2020, 02:07:47 PM »

You also have to wonder whether the recent developments in Seattle have pushed the electorate to the right.  The left has truly created an abysmal political environment for themselves here.

There's nothing but bad news here, the city has truly gone off the deep end.  We've had CHAZ, defunding, rioting and looting, and the junkie/hoarder encampments crisis, all boosted and defended by the city.  We recently passed a major tax that is explicitly designed to destroy our tax base by forcing Amazon out of the city.  And there are other major economic mismanagement issues that don't get much attention, like two critical failing bridges (W Seattle and Magnolia) that the city refuses to take seriously.  The city is completely held hostage by activists, who generate unflattering news reports every day with their hostile tactics.

I am a hardcore Democrat and I would happily vote for any Republican at the municipal level right now.  I'm certainly not the only person feeling that way.  That doesn't mean I would vote for a Republican for governor or congress, but others may not make that distinction.

You voting for Kim Wyman this year?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #5779 on: August 07, 2020, 04:01:31 PM »

You voting for Kim Wyman this year?

I don’t see how who the secretary is really affects anything other than voting. Wyman has disenfranchised voters.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5780 on: August 07, 2020, 05:52:46 PM »

Uh, no. The only people who would cite CHOP as a factor in their vote are people with a hate boner for the left, 98% of whom are partisan Republicans. The city hasn’t “abandoned” all other projects, just because it’s also focused on police reform, which is a serious issue that needs attention. Even Democrats who didn’t support CHOP aren’t about to defect to the party of Trump because muh CHOP bad. And even if some would consider voting Republican at the local level, there’s no way people who were otherwise going to vote Democratic in their congressional race would vote for a rubber stamp on Trump. And it’s not like Schrier has been singing Sawant’s praises, either, so the number of people who would have otherwise voted for Schrier switching to a Republican is minuscule at best.

Just because you’re chronically mad at the left doesn’t mean that there are thousands who feel as strongly as you do and would leave the Democratic Party this year with this president up for re-election, especially in a completely different district with a Democrat who hasn’t had any involvement with CHOP on the ballot.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #5781 on: August 07, 2020, 05:58:23 PM »

You also have to wonder whether the recent developments in Seattle have pushed the electorate to the right.  The left has truly created an abysmal political environment for themselves here.

There's nothing but bad news here, the city has truly gone off the deep end.  We've had CHAZ, defunding, rioting and looting, and the junkie/hoarder encampments crisis, all boosted and defended by the city.  We recently passed a major tax that is explicitly designed to destroy our tax base by forcing Amazon out of the city.  And there are other major economic mismanagement issues that don't get much attention, like two critical failing bridges (W Seattle and Magnolia) that the city refuses to take seriously.  The city is completely held hostage by activists, who generate unflattering news reports every day with their hostile tactics.

I am a hardcore Democrat and I would happily vote for any Republican at the municipal level right now.  I'm certainly not the only person feeling that way.  That doesn't mean I would vote for a Republican for governor or congress, but others may not make that distinction.

Uh, no. The only people who would cite CHOP as a factor in their vote are people with a hate boner for the left, 98% of whom are partisan Republicans. The city hasn’t “abandoned” all other projects, just because it’s also focused on police reform, which is a serious issue that needs attention. Even Democrats who didn’t support CHOP aren’t about to defect to the party of Trump because muh CHOP bad. And even if some would consider voting Republican at the local level, there’s no way people who were otherwise going to vote Democratic in their congressional race would vote for a rubber stamp on Trump. And it’s not like Schrier has been singing Sawant’s praises, either, so the number of people who would have otherwise voted for Schrier switching to a Republican is minuscule at best.

Just because you’re chronically mad at the left doesn’t mean that there are thousands who feel as strongly as you do and would leave the Democratic Party this year with this president up for re-election, especially in a completely different district with a Democrat who hasn’t had any involvement with CHOP on the ballot.

Let's be honest, I have a much more negative view of these protesters and the left now than I did a few months ago, and I'm sure many share the same opinion. These people are out to destroy America as we know it, and millions will be fleeing to the GOP as a result, especially after Trump is defeated in November.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5782 on: August 07, 2020, 07:30:14 PM »

You also have to wonder whether the recent developments in Seattle have pushed the electorate to the right.  The left has truly created an abysmal political environment for themselves here.

There's nothing but bad news here, the city has truly gone off the deep end.  We've had CHAZ, defunding, rioting and looting, and the junkie/hoarder encampments crisis, all boosted and defended by the city.  We recently passed a major tax that is explicitly designed to destroy our tax base by forcing Amazon out of the city.  And there are other major economic mismanagement issues that don't get much attention, like two critical failing bridges (W Seattle and Magnolia) that the city refuses to take seriously.  The city is completely held hostage by activists, who generate unflattering news reports every day with their hostile tactics.

I am a hardcore Democrat and I would happily vote for any Republican at the municipal level right now.  I'm certainly not the only person feeling that way.  That doesn't mean I would vote for a Republican for governor or congress, but others may not make that distinction.

Let's be honest, I have a much more negative view of these protesters and the left now than I did a few months ago, and I'm sure many share the same opinion. These people are out to destroy America as we know it, and millions will be fleeing to the GOP as a result, especially after Trump is defeated in November.

You’re judging all protestors, most of whom are peaceful and want to change the country for the better. And you do know that CHOP was mostly a glorified block party, right? Is that really more offensive to than a sitting president ignoring warning signs for and continually downplaying and spreading misinformation about a pandemic that has killed 160,000 Americans and counting, among many other horrible things he’s done? If so, they’re not “fleeing” to the GOP, because they’d be voting for Trump anyway, and would find some other excuse to justify it. People who hate Trump are not going to flee to the party that created him.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #5783 on: August 07, 2020, 07:33:04 PM »

Actually WTF happened? Schrier has less than 43% of the vote in WA-08, JHB is leading 56-40 over Long, Inslee is going to dip below 50%. Pretty awful results for WA Democrats.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5784 on: August 07, 2020, 07:53:11 PM »

Updates of the maps I posted a couple days ago:

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5785 on: August 07, 2020, 07:56:49 PM »

Uh, no. The only people who would cite CHOP as a factor in their vote are people with a hate boner for the left, 98% of whom are partisan Republicans.

Uh, no, the vast majority of people in this city are Democrats, and if you took a poll of this city I would bet the vast majority would also have a strongly negative opinion of CHAZ.  Of course you'd have to promise them anonymity, because everyone is also afraid to speak out against the movement for fear of having their home or business targeted with zero recourse or protection.

Does that factor into their vote?  For most, they're probably still voting Democratic.  But for those on the very rightward edge of that constituency, it's certainly plausible that they may defect to the Republicans after nearly two months of assault on their well-being by Democrats.  You are probably thinking of your social circle, but I am thinking of moderate Democrats in Madrona or Queen Anne.  Egan Orion voters.  People with enough money to own property and build a good life for their families in this city, who have liberal sensibilities and almost always vote Democrat, but don't like watching their city crumble around them.

Read this article and all the small business owners in Capitol Hill quoted in it, and tell me none of them would consider voting R this cycle even if they were traditional D voters.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/07/us/defund-police-seattle-protests.html

The city hasn’t “abandoned” all other projects, just because it’s also focused on police reform, which is a serious issue that needs attention.

Go do a poll of Magnolia and ask them if they feel abandoned by the city.  They've been begging the city to fix the crumbling Magnolia Bridge for years and the city's current position is "lol they don't need that bridge anyway."  Meanwhile the council last year handed activists a victory in their fight to turn a section of Discovery Park into a homeless shelter, not for any logical reason (it's a terrible location for a shelter) but just to stick it to the rich people who live there.

Even Democrats who didn’t support CHOP aren’t about to defect to the party of Trump because muh CHOP bad.

There's this thing called a "swing voter" who is somewhere in between the two parties and may shift from one to the other based on extraordinary events.  Seeing the left in this city STRONGLY support CHAZ and all the destruction and mayhem over the last two months is exactly the kind of extraordinary event that would cause swing voters to shift their votes.

And even if some would consider voting Republican at the local level, there’s no way people who were otherwise going to vote Democratic in their congressional race would vote for a rubber stamp on Trump.

I addressed this in my comment.

And it’s not like Schrier has been singing Sawant’s praises, either, so the number of people who would have otherwise voted for Schrier switching to a Republican is minuscule at best.

People don't pay attention, people don't care.  You'd probably find more hatred for Joe Biden and the Democratic Party at CHAZ than you would at a MAGA rally, yet the Democrats get blamed for it, because it's now trendy to call yourself a Democrat while simultaneously making your entire political identity all about hating the Democratic Party.
cwt

« Reply #5786 on: August 07, 2020, 08:01:04 PM »

Actually WTF happened? Schrier has less than 43% of the vote in WA-08, JHB is leading 56-40 over Long, Inslee is going to dip below 50%. Pretty awful results for WA Democrats.

Also, Kim Wyman with a majority of the statewide vote.

She got more total votes than Inslee as of right now (1,009,382 to 1,001,363).
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5787 on: August 07, 2020, 08:45:26 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2020, 08:49:19 PM by Crumpets »

The city hasn’t “abandoned” all other projects, just because it’s also focused on police reform, which is a serious issue that needs attention.

Go do a poll of Magnolia and ask them if they feel abandoned by the city.  They've been begging the city to fix the crumbling Magnolia Bridge for years and the city's current position is "lol they don't need that bridge anyway."  Meanwhile the council last year handed activists a victory in their fight to turn a section of Discovery Park into a homeless shelter, not for any logical reason (it's a terrible location for a shelter) but just to stick it to the rich people who live there.

As possibly Atlas's only resident Magnolian, I have to jump in here, and I tend to agree with MacArthur here in general, but I don't necessarily draw links between that sense of abandonment with issues like police reform. Magnolia is covered in BLM signs right now, and from the conversations I've had with my neighbors, I don't think anyone really ties calls for police reform to a lack of commitment to fix the Magnolia bridge or figure out what to do with the homeless population in the area. If anything, the issue that seems to come up in tandem with the Magnolia Bridge is the West Seattle Bridge and a sense of West Seattle's bridge of death being given top priority over us, since that's much more of a one-to-one comparison than with other things that might require funding.

My immediate neighbors are mostly middle-aged, with some borderline Karens and even some former Republicans. Absolutely none of them are considering moving away from the Democratic party as a result of the protests. If anything, they attribute the deaths at the CHOP and the rise of Sawantism more generally to the same "populist" tide that brought up Trump. I've also heard lines like "it's terrible that Sawant has tried to make the George Floyd protests all about her." It's pretty common to hear "both sides" sentiments from this crowd, saying that the Anarchists and the Trumpees just need to fight it out somewhere else. But again, absolutely none of them are willing to give the Republicans the time of day because, while they do not see most Democrats as being in league with Sawant and the anarchists, they absolutely do see random local average Republicans (i.e. Jason Rantz and John Curley) as being in 100% lock step with Trump.

But just to close because we're talking about Magnolia and you hit on one of my key local issues, Magnolia is absolutely fed up with the city council in a completely non-partisan way for deciding that all of Magnolia is just Magnolia Boulevard and that we can somehow therefore fix all of our own problems or something. I mean, for pete's sake, look at the regional transit map - we're literally not even on the map:

And this is after McGinn launched his "road diet" on Nickerson, we lost access to Highway 99 via Western Ave when they tore down the viaduct, and they shut down the 15th Ave monorail back in 2006 only to decide we were getting Link after all, but it would take until 2030+ to actually be up-and-running. Next we'll lose the Magnolia Bridge after some minor earthquake, and there'll literally be two roads into and out of a neighborhood of over 20,000 people. There's absolutely no way this will end well, and I see pretty much nobody on either side of the Democrat-leftist divide really caring about it except for the very local politicians with no power to actually enact anything.

It's all part of this grand scheme to try to get people to commute by bike, I'm sure. Of course, nobody realizes that Magnolia is surrounded by incredibly steep hills on every side and nobody is going to want their commute home to end with a strenuous workout.

Thank you for attending my Ted Talk.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5788 on: August 07, 2020, 09:41:30 PM »

There's absolutely no way this will end well, and I see pretty much nobody on either side of the Democrat-leftist divide really caring about it except for the very local politicians with no power to actually enact anything.

It's all part of this grand scheme to try to get people to commute by bike, I'm sure. Of course, nobody realizes that Magnolia is surrounded by incredibly steep hills on every side and nobody is going to want their commute home to end with a strenuous workout.

FWIW, I live in Capitol Hill and I care about you guys.  I love walking around Magnolia and looking at all the beautiful houses and old trees and big flowery gardens.  Are y'all still dealing with a rat infestation or did you get that worked out?
Corbyn is (no longer) the leader of the Labour Party
DANNT

« Reply #5789 on: August 07, 2020, 10:01:51 PM »

Wow, Wyman should run in 2024; she'd have a fighting chance.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5790 on: August 07, 2020, 10:07:02 PM »

Idk. The Governorship in Washington has always been Lucy and the football for Republicans. They've gotten close several times (2004, 2008, 2012) but never actually managed to make it happen. Same deal with Oregon.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5791 on: August 07, 2020, 10:12:42 PM »

Idk. The Governorship in Washington has always been Lucy and the football for Republicans. They've gotten close several times (2004, 2008, 2012) but never actually managed to make it happen. Same deal with Oregon.

Wyman could honestly pull it off if she isn't facing Inslee or Denny Heck, she's definitely a strong candidate, but so was McKenna, and he lost in 2012, it'd surely be close though.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5792 on: August 07, 2020, 10:22:36 PM »

Wow, I suppose I wouldn’t know anything about politics if it weren’t for GMA explaining concepts like “swing voters” to me Roll Eyes. The number of people who would honestly vote Republican because of CHOP is minuscule, and I don’t buy that they wouldn’t come up with a different excuse if not for CHOP. I actually know some people who aren’t as progressive as I am here, and their views are a little more nuanced than “CHOP bad, Sawant bad, progressives bad.” It’s a little more like “I understand that people are angry, but I don’t think this is an effective or productive way of expressing their anger, and I don’t think reducing funding by 50% is particularly feasible, nor will it resolve issues of racial profiling. We should train police officers in de-escalation, etc.”

As for Wyman running in 2024, she’s probably the best candidate Republicans could run (assuming she wins this year), but she wouldn’t beat Inslee (doubt she’d run against him), and I’m not sure which opponents she would beat (Ferguson wouldn’t be an easy opponent, either.)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5793 on: August 07, 2020, 10:24:12 PM »

Wyman could honestly pull it off if she isn't facing Inslee or Denny Heck, she's definitely a strong candidate, but so was McKenna, and he lost in 2012, it'd surely be close though.

She is a great candidate and would keep it close, but for whatever reason, Washington is willing to elect Republicans to some statewide offices but never the governorship. Maybe they could have done it if gubernatorial elections were in midterm years rather than presidential.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5794 on: August 07, 2020, 10:25:44 PM »

A Wyman run for governor would work out about as well as Jim Hood's campaign for governor. WA might be fine with Wyman as a low-profile and uncontroversial SoS (although we’ll see if she actually wins reelection), but she wouldn’t win a more partisan gubernatorial election, especially in a presidential year.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5795 on: August 08, 2020, 12:22:45 PM »

There's absolutely no way this will end well, and I see pretty much nobody on either side of the Democrat-leftist divide really caring about it except for the very local politicians with no power to actually enact anything.

FWIW, I live in Capitol Hill and I care about you guys.  I love walking around Magnolia and looking at all the beautiful houses and old trees and big flowery gardens.  Are y'all still dealing with a rat infestation or did you get that worked out?

As far as I know, it's been fixed. We never really had that many rats in our area and I was kind of surprised to see those headlines at the time. The main pest on my block has always been ants. Also, I had no idea you lived in core Sawantist territory. Kind of explains some of your political views, I suppose. Tongue
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5796 on: August 09, 2020, 02:06:18 AM »

As far as I know, it's been fixed. We never really had that many rats in our area and I was kind of surprised to see those headlines at the time. The main pest on my block has always been ants. Also, I had no idea you lived in core Sawantist territory. Kind of explains some of your political views, I suppose. Tongue

My political views have been consistent for years.  I have a special vitriol for Sawant because she and her acolytes directly affect my life in so many ways.  Local politics is always much more impactful.  Trump isn't setting up junkie encampments in Miller Park.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #5797 on: August 09, 2020, 12:57:37 PM »

I don't buy WA-08 having any chance of flipping, but LOL at people who thought WA-3 could flip
MAPZZ
Rookie
« Reply #5798 on: August 11, 2020, 02:31:43 AM »

My political views have been consistent for years.  I have a special vitriol for Sawant because she and her acolytes directly affect my life in so many ways.  Local politics is always much more impactful.  Trump isn't setting up junkie encampments in Miller Park.

The idea that political movements I identify with and the votes they cast make your day-to-day life worse and have made you the red-in-the-face angry NIMBY WASP you are today, fills me with so much glee.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #5799 on: August 11, 2020, 07:00:11 AM »

The idea that political movements I identify with and the votes they cast make your day-to-day life worse and have made you the red-in-the-face angry NIMBY WASP you are today, fills me with so much glee.

Sawant is a nimby
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 230 231 [232] 233 234 235 236 237 ... 252  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies