Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle

(1/1260) > >>

Meeker:
Well it's filing week in Washington. The reason I bring this up as a slight matter of interest is because of the effects the bizarre new top-two primary is having on the ballot. Party selections are now done by having a candidate fill in a sixteen character space with the name of their party, and you can put whatever you want so long as it isn't vulgar. The current choices of labels by various candidates:

Prefers Democratic Party
Prefers Republican Party
Prefers Democrat Party
Prefers G.O.P. Party
Prefers R Party
Prefers D Party
Prefers Green Party
Prefers Libertarian Paty
Prefers Party of Commons Party
Prefers Independent Party
States No Party Preference

The whole "Prefers G.O.P. Party" strikes me as the silliest, but several incumbent legislators are using it.

*** mod note (7/27/2018): changed '17 in title to '18

bgwah:
Wow I was just going to post something about this...

I really hate this system so far... :P

So by the end of the week should we know who all the candidates are?

Meeker:
Quote from: bgwah on June 03, 2008, 02:28:21 AM

So by the end of the week should we know who all the candidates are?

Yea - none of that "parties have a week to fill vacancies" anymore. It's a free-for-all, every man for themselves filing bloodfest.

And this system sucks.

bgwah:
Did the Republicans ever find a candidate for State Auditor? Or Insurance Commissioner? Hopefully not.

I would love to see the Republican fail to make it to the general in the 7th district.

Meeker:
Quote from: bgwah on June 03, 2008, 02:43:15 AM

Did the Republicans ever find a candidate for State Auditor? Or Insurance Commissioner? Hopefully not.

I suspect someone will file eventually, even if it just a Brad Klippert/Hong Tran type. There is a Constitution Party candidate for State Auditor (hasn't filed yet though), so Sonntag won't be running unopposed.

Quote from: bgwah on June 03, 2008, 02:43:15 AM

I would love to see the Republican fail to make it to the general in the 7th district.

There's a chance that may happen in the 6th District even. There's a Democrat running to Norm Dicks' left who is generating a fair amount of interest amongst liberals in the party. Him doing well plus low Republican turnout could yield interesting results.

The Treasurer race may also give us a double D general if we're lucky.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page