Will the US attack Iran soon ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:56:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will the US attack Iran soon ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the US attack Iran soon ?  (Read 5513 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« on: June 10, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »

I heard a few days ago on French TV that Bush said that an attack of Iran was possible at any time.

Well the journalist didn't give the context of this declaration. Which was it? Did he answer the question of a journalist, was it a part of a speech or did he make a speech especially on it...? If someone know, thank you.

Personally, spontaneously, I can't impeach myself to think that Bush can still do it, even if I have to say that if it happens it would be a huge surprise, but I can't impeach myself to think it is a possibility. To say it, I just base myself on psychological things, nothing more and if money is important in these affairs I think that so is psychology.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:49:07 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2008, 12:57:19 PM by tsionebreicruoc »

Zionists are the internal enemy. They use the safety of the United States to aid a despotic regime overseas.

I expect it to be a joke comment...

I would just hope they would try and get more countries behind the cause.

If that happens, with or without Bush, you can be sure of one thing, France will be here! Sarkozy won't let pass the occasion!

We opened a military base recently facing Iranian coasts, and still recently, France canceled some tours and exercises of some of its military ships, saying that oil is too expensive and that they prefer to keep them if a crisis arise, is there something concerning Iran in it? Well, clearly, I don't know, I just ask.

the attitude is that it is some moral responsibility of the United States to protect Israel.

Euh...please...just...Why?
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 08:30:58 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2008, 08:42:17 AM by tsionebreicruoc »

No.  I wouldn't rule out Israel attempting to knock out Iran's nukes, though. 

If they do that, it may lead to war, which means the US will get involved (hopefully).

Why hopefully? If Iran's mythical nukes are guaranteed to be nonexistent, it's no threat.

True, but if the US gets involved, then we can put a permanent end to the Iranian threat.

which as of now doesn't exist. So it's kind of hard to put an end to it.

I do think Iran poses a threat, and we can end it.

But so does France.

If you mean France poses a threat. Hmm, yes, with Sarkozy, you should take care...!

If you mean France can end it. Hmm, yes, Sarkozy could try to...!

(Mouhahaha... France to try such an unilateral action! I'm sure Sarkozy would love to can do it.)

More seriously, about France and Iran, from several month our foreign minister tells us that we have to be prepared to the worst with Iran, to war.

Not really. If we opened up dialogue with Iran and ended sanctions we'd get more done in calming them down than your proposal of war with them would do.

If we forget the current trends, I tend to agree.

I think we are making Iran the threat we wanna it to be (especially Bush administration, Sarkozy does too) and the threat Iran wanna seem. I think we are creating the importance of the Iranian threat more than this really exists.

I just hope that if force is used it will be because there is a real threat, and I tend to think that this is a threat which can be avoid if the affair is well managed with Iran on the long term. This said, current trends are the opposite of it.

Then, I still wait someone to explain me in the name of which principle US should absolutely defend Israel, would the US do it for any country that is not an ennemy...?
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 09:11:21 AM »

would the US do it for any country that is not an ennemy...?
We'd do it for any country that is close to us.  Can you think of any countries as culturally tied to the US/West as Israel that we wouldn't support if threatened as often as Israel is?

So, according to you, it's based on cultural links, well OK, I can hear this. Western Europe and Israel, which are culturally very tied with US have benefited of US help when they where in troubles, and even if I'm not sure that there are only cultural aspects in this relations I can understand the logic.

Then, still on this, I profit of someone who answer the question, thanks, do you, or others, think US should defend Israel no matter what Israel do? (I don't speak about a specific situation or about this Iranian affair, I mean in general). Unconditional support?
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:08:31 AM »

No, of course not.  We shouldn't unconditionally support anybody.  If France invaded say, Mexico, we wouldn't back France (unless they had a really good reason).  If Israel got a hair up it's ass and took the Suez Canal back, I don't think we should (or would) support them.

OK. Thanks, it's pleasant to find someone who argue over "we have to support Israel"...
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »

Something which reinforce the scenario of Israelis strikes against Iran during Bush administration:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You can find it here
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies