Will the US attack Iran soon ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:45:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will the US attack Iran soon ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Will the US attack Iran soon ?  (Read 5472 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 12:49:07 PM »
« edited: June 11, 2008, 12:57:19 PM by tsionebreicruoc »

Zionists are the internal enemy. They use the safety of the United States to aid a despotic regime overseas.

I expect it to be a joke comment...

I would just hope they would try and get more countries behind the cause.

If that happens, with or without Bush, you can be sure of one thing, France will be here! Sarkozy won't let pass the occasion!

We opened a military base recently facing Iranian coasts, and still recently, France canceled some tours and exercises of some of its military ships, saying that oil is too expensive and that they prefer to keep them if a crisis arise, is there something concerning Iran in it? Well, clearly, I don't know, I just ask.

the attitude is that it is some moral responsibility of the United States to protect Israel.

Euh...please...just...Why?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »

You don't count subverting the power of the federal government to the purposes of a foreign despotism to be an action of an enemy? Huh
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 02:02:38 PM »

The US could attack Iran any time it wanted too. There's probably a submarine or two in the Persian Gulf ready to launch Tomahawks.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 02:50:03 PM »

We cannot aid in a preemptive war. Never.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 03:06:04 PM »

The United States already did. It was called the Six Day War.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 03:21:15 PM »

I doubt that we will attack Iran anytime soon.  Of course, if Israel does declare war on Iran, then we need to join them immediatley

Oh that's a great idea. Not that we have any more important interests to worry about.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 03:31:14 PM »

No.  I wouldn't rule out Israel attempting to knock out Iran's nukes, though. 

If they do that, it may lead to war, which means the US will get involved (hopefully).

Why hopefully? If Iran's mythical nukes are guaranteed to be nonexistent, it's no threat.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 01:23:52 AM »

The United States already did. It was called the Six Day War.

Doesn't make it right. American foreign policy has had innumerable failings.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »

If they do that, it may lead to war, which means the US will get involved (hopefully).

Why hopefully? If Iran's mythical nukes are guaranteed to be nonexistent, it's no threat.

True, but if the US gets involved, then we can put a permanent end to the Iranian threat.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 12:04:45 AM »

Why do you America to be Israel's bitch? If you care so much about Israel you would understand they have the capacity to defend themselves.
Israel is my middle name, and I agree with this. I'm not joking.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 12:08:34 AM »

Full-scale invasion? Absolutely not.

Air strikes against possible nuclear sites? Maybe, but not right now.

Winking and nudging and letting Israeli aircraft use Iraqi airspace while the Israelis themselves strike Iranian nuclear sites? If Israel does this, than this has a strong chance of happening. 

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2008, 04:49:45 AM »

True, but if the US gets involved, then we can put a permanent end to the Iranian threat.

which as of now doesn't exist. So it's kind of hard to put an end to it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2008, 05:43:43 PM »

I do think Iran poses a threat, and we can end it.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2008, 05:44:44 PM »

Not really. If we opened up dialogue with Iran and ended sanctions we'd get more done in calming them down than your proposal of war with them would do.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 06:18:46 PM »

Alternatively, we could avoid more wars by not promising Israel unconditional support. Basically gives them a free pass, thinking they can do anything they want.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2008, 12:30:25 AM »

Alternatively, we could avoid more wars by not promising Israel unconditional support. Basically gives them a free pass, thinking they can do anything they want.

Although I agree with what your saying Franzl, the United States will never turn her back upon their best friend Israel. Why would the United States want to give up their 19 billion dollar per year investment in military aide sent to Israel?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2008, 12:53:53 AM »

Dude you are totally hysterical. Iran does not pose a threat to anybody and certainly not Israel. Do they have the navy to invade Israel? How would they go about doing it? Will the other arab states help or will they turn against their shiite enemy. Whenever you start wars they do not end well. There are terrible consequences which we may not see but they happen and if you believe in god then you better start paying attention.

P.S If Iran attacks someone( i.e Israel) then I think we should defend them. Not like they need any defence anyways. But just judging from the way ahmadanejad is talking, Iran is not looking for war.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2008, 01:51:31 AM »

But so does France.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2008, 05:14:55 AM »

Although I agree with what your saying Franzl, the United States will never turn her back upon their best friend Israel. Why would the United States want to give up their 19 billion dollar per year investment in military aide sent to Israel?

Of course, and it's absolutely unrealistic to think we would. I was just arguing about the principle behind it.

And I agree with sbane, naturally. I would fully support defending Israel if they are attacked by Iran, or anyone else for that matter.

But Ben's orgasmic support of any war Israel might like to start is, frankly, dangerous.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2008, 05:49:03 AM »

Of course, and it's absolutely unrealistic to think we would. I was just arguing about the principle behind it.

I know you were Franzl, but I was just saying Roll Eyes. If the United States turned her back upon Israel tomorrow, they would be ed in my mind, though they could fight it out.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2008, 08:30:58 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2008, 08:42:17 AM by tsionebreicruoc »

But so does France.

If you mean France poses a threat. Hmm, yes, with Sarkozy, you should take care...!

If you mean France can end it. Hmm, yes, Sarkozy could try to...!

(Mouhahaha... France to try such an unilateral action! I'm sure Sarkozy would love to can do it.)

More seriously, about France and Iran, from several month our foreign minister tells us that we have to be prepared to the worst with Iran, to war.

Not really. If we opened up dialogue with Iran and ended sanctions we'd get more done in calming them down than your proposal of war with them would do.

If we forget the current trends, I tend to agree.

I think we are making Iran the threat we wanna it to be (especially Bush administration, Sarkozy does too) and the threat Iran wanna seem. I think we are creating the importance of the Iranian threat more than this really exists.

I just hope that if force is used it will be because there is a real threat, and I tend to think that this is a threat which can be avoid if the affair is well managed with Iran on the long term. This said, current trends are the opposite of it.

Then, I still wait someone to explain me in the name of which principle US should absolutely defend Israel, would the US do it for any country that is not an ennemy...?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2008, 08:58:37 AM »

Then, I still wait someone to explain me in the name of which principle US should absolutely defend Israel,
Because we fear what might happen to the 5.5 million Jews that live there if we don't.  They do have a handful of neighbors who have repeatedly attacked them and have claimed hundreds of times that they won't be happy until every Jew is gone from the Middle East.  We ignore them at the Israelis peril.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
We'd do it for any country that is close to us.  Can you think of any countries as culturally tied to the US/West as Israel that we wouldn't support if threatened as often as Israel is?
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2008, 09:11:21 AM »

would the US do it for any country that is not an ennemy...?
We'd do it for any country that is close to us.  Can you think of any countries as culturally tied to the US/West as Israel that we wouldn't support if threatened as often as Israel is?

So, according to you, it's based on cultural links, well OK, I can hear this. Western Europe and Israel, which are culturally very tied with US have benefited of US help when they where in troubles, and even if I'm not sure that there are only cultural aspects in this relations I can understand the logic.

Then, still on this, I profit of someone who answer the question, thanks, do you, or others, think US should defend Israel no matter what Israel do? (I don't speak about a specific situation or about this Iranian affair, I mean in general). Unconditional support?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2008, 11:14:35 AM »

No, of course not.  We shouldn't unconditionally support anybody.  If France invaded say, Mexico, we wouldn't back France (unless they had a really good reason).  If Israel got a hair up it's ass and took the Suez Canal back, I don't think we should (or would) support them.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 01:02:08 PM »

Then, I still wait someone to explain me in the name of which principle US should absolutely defend Israel,
Because we fear what might happen to the 5.5 million Jews that live there if we don't.  They do have a handful of neighbors who have repeatedly attacked them and have claimed hundreds of times that they won't be happy until every Jew is gone from the Middle East.  We ignore them at the Israelis peril.

[insert comment about the Jews getting shoved into Israel without regard for the natives]

No, of course not.  We shouldn't unconditionally support anybody.  If France invaded say, Mexico, we wouldn't back France (unless they had a really good reason).  If Israel got a hair up it's ass and took the Suez Canal back, I don't think we should (or would) support them.

We wouldn't back France, of course. France-hating is too prevalent in America. But we would back Israel in they decided to take the Suez Canal or Lebanon or even Jordan.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies