Non-Mormons in Utah (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:24:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Non-Mormons in Utah (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Non-Mormons in Utah  (Read 18841 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: August 28, 2004, 08:04:28 PM »

The only state run by a cult.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 08:15:52 PM »

I wouldn't quite go that far, but certainly some of their practices are unusual.

They are considered a cult by almost every Christian religious scholar.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 11:38:36 PM »

They are not even close to true Christianity like they claim. They are a cult. Just like J. Witness are a cult to the comment was NOT out of bounds. Of course I am not saying they are not a suicidal cult or a Waco type cult but they are considered a cult among religious scholars. I have no hate towards Mormons, Mr Fresh. But techinically they are a Christian cult.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 11:46:26 PM »

They claim to be exactly like the majority of real Christians when in fact they are not.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 01:05:30 AM »

They claim to be exactly like the majority of real Christians when in fact they are not.

That is a blatant lie, the Church has never claimed to believe "exactly" like all the others, (which btw was the main reason we rejected joining the World Council of Churches).  Tell me this States, do Protestants claim to believe exactly like Catholics?  Do Catholics believe exactly the same as Protestants?  Do nondenominational people claim to believe exactly as Protestants and Catholics?  If I'm correct that was the REASON for the Reformation, people disagree on theology, and it's no one's place to be yelling cult.

They claim to have gotten their "bible" from the wilderness in Ohio. That directly contradicts the bibles view on false doctrines.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 10:30:44 AM »

That is a blatant lie, the Church has never claimed to believe "exactly" like all the others, (which btw was the main reason we rejected joining the World Council of Churches).  Tell me this States, do Protestants claim to believe exactly like Catholics?  Do Catholics believe exactly the same as Protestants?  Do nondenominational people claim to believe exactly as Protestants and Catholics?  If I'm correct that was the REASON for the Reformation, people disagree on theology, and it's no one's place to be yelling cult.

They claim to have gotten their "bible" from the wilderness in Ohio. That directly contradicts the bibles view on false doctrines.

First off, we use the Bible, the King James Version to be more exact.  Second, I don't see anywhere where it says it's from Ohio.  Third, give me some references and don't just spout off things like, "it says this or that."

I am referring to the Book of Mormon. Which goes against the words of the bible and is false doctrine.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 11:35:02 AM »

I am referring to the Book of Mormon. Which goes against the words of the bible and is false doctrine.

It does not go against the words of the Bible, it goes hand in hand with the Bible.  Furthermore, it does not teach false doctrines, and I want you to name them.  Also, have you read it?  If not, I have a hard time trying to justify the hipocrisy you're presenting me.

The KJV says that any book outside the bible is false doctrine. And if even an angel from heaven comes down and tells you it's true that to believe it would make you accursed.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 07:35:31 PM »

I believe there's something in the Bible near the end that says nobody can add to it, which would discount the Book of Mormon and the Koran/Qu'ran.

No it would not discount either considering they're different books.

Yes, god told John in the bible that it can not be added to or detracted from and to do so would make one accursed.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 08:03:32 PM »

I believe there's something in the Bible near the end that says nobody can add to it, which would discount the Book of Mormon and the Koran/Qu'ran.

No it would not discount either considering they're different books.

Yes, god told John in the bible that it can not be added to or detracted from and to do so would make one accursed.

Obviously you aren't getting it...THEY ARE DIFFERENT BOOKS!  BTW I'm also still waiting for the scripture references of the other post you made.

The book of Mormon is incompatible with the Bible.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 08:10:11 PM »

OK, Fine here is the quote. I will let the bible defend itself.

"But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!" Galatians 1:6-9
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2004, 08:17:42 PM »

All these "Sects" are wrong. Plain and simple. Mormons, Quakers, Catholics, Protestants. They are all off track of real Christianity.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 08:19:11 PM »

All these "Sects" are wrong. Plain and simple. Mormons, Quakers, Catholics, Protestants. They are all off track of real Christianity.

And what's your view of real Christianity?

Going word for word with what the bible says. Doctrines, edicts and traditions are bullsh*t.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 08:21:35 PM »

Going word for word with what the bible says. Doctrines, edicts and traditions are bullsh*t.

How do all of those above not go for what the Bible says?

Because the bible is not supposed to be added to or taken from. All you need is the bible. It gives you everything you need to be saved.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2004, 08:26:04 PM »

Because the bible is not supposed to be added to or taken from. All you need is the bible. It gives you everything you need to be saved.

As I've said, the LDS Church hasn't added to the Bible, or taken away from it.  I think it's very hipocritical that you say that, yet you use a Bible that's been "modernized."

The book of Mormon is adding to the bible.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 08:27:57 PM »

As I've said, the LDS Church hasn't added to the Bible, or taken away from it.  I think it's very hipocritical that you say that, yet you use a Bible that's been "modernized."

The book of Mormon is adding to the bible.

It's not the same book, adding to the Bible is adding words, adding false teachings, and changing things to fit certain views.  None of those apply to the Book of Mormon.

Who inspired the book of Mormon?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2004, 08:30:39 PM »

Some things the mormons teach:

-Our God is an exalted man of flesh and bone
-He physically lives with His many wives near the star Kolob
-Worthy Mormon men can also become Gods, like Him
-Our God is one of many Gods and serves a God of His own!
-God came down to earth in the flesh and was the physical father of Jesus
-You should not trust the Bible in this matter. It is wrong.
-Trust their prophets.
-Read what the Mormon leaders say about our Savior and the Virgin Mary.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2004, 08:33:14 PM »

click here
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2004, 08:37:11 PM »

How do you deny what you own founders said?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2004, 08:38:45 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2004, 08:39:16 PM by Senator StatesRights »

How do you deny what you own founders said?

Give me a quote, you won't find a correct one.  Do you know who the "Founders" are?

Murderers and crooks mostly, according to history. Care to talk about the murder of a whole wagon train of westward bound settlers by the Mormons in the 1880s.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2004, 08:43:08 PM »

I am not saying they aren't good moral people. I think they are generally. But what I am saying is their doctrine is false just as much of the Catholic Churches doctrice is false. A disagreement w/doctrine doesn't equal hate of a person. This is the same argument used by people that say if you disagree with Judiasm or Isreal you are a Anti-Semite.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2004, 08:45:09 PM »

I am not saying they aren't good moral people. I think they are generally. But what I am saying is their doctrine is false just as much of the Catholic Churches doctrice is false. A disagreement w/doctrine doesn't equal hate of a person. This is the same argument used by people that say if you disagree with Judiasm or Isreal you are a Anti-Semite.

With all the lies you have posted today, it's not that apparent.

Believe what you want. OK? You think what I say is wrong and I think what you post is wrong..so whats the point in continuing?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2004, 08:54:22 PM »

Your point is quite valid.

I just think that you could make your point about disagreing with Mormon doctrines without resorting to excessively colorful language.

I would question just how accurate the King James version is relative to the original scriptures (note, I think it is both better written and more accurate than versions produced in the last 100 years).

I think the project ongoing at the Huntington Library many result in considerable clarification (i.e. the dead sea scrolls).

I used no colorful language. Everything I stated has been historically noted by credible Historians. Settlers were massacred by Mormons. Mountain Meadow and here is the link :

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_mass.htm
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2004, 09:08:59 PM »

Your point is quite valid.

I just think that you could make your point about disagreing with Mormon doctrines without resorting to excessively colorful language.

I would question just how accurate the King James version is relative to the original scriptures (note, I think it is both better written and more accurate than versions produced in the last 100 years).

I think the project ongoing at the Huntington Library many result in considerable clarification (i.e. the dead sea scrolls).

I used no colorful language. Everything I stated has been historically noted by credible Historians. Settlers were massacred by Mormons. Mountain Meadow and here is the link :

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_mass.htm

Are you sure you want to go there States?  Because you've said a lot here.  And why don't you also look up early Mormon history where hundreds were killed because they were Mormon.  Or how about the stage when they were driven from every state, and could only find refuge in Utah.  How about, while you're at it, you look up the early stages of Salt Lake, when the Union sent troops into Salt Lake, AFTER the members of the Church fought for Union in the Mexican War.  And what the heck, while you're looking up all this history, why don't you look at how Joseph Smith was murdered....let me say this again....MURDERED in JAIL!

Mormons, much like Native Americans have played poor minority and gotten away with it while most Americans overlook the history of these "poor, helpless" minorities. Mountain Meadows is just one example.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2004, 11:50:35 PM »

God.  Leave the Mormons alone.  Almost all the ones I've met or seen are super-nice, intelligent, giving people, as well as studious and kind.  What do you care if they thought god was a purple lollipop and Heaven is a small diner outside Albuquerque?  They're mostly very nice folks, and you don't have to live like them.  If they go to Hell that's their beef, not yours.

Their beliefs don't hurt you.

So debating doctrinal beliefs is off the table? Why are you on a political board then? Like I said, you CAN debate doctrine w/out hating someone.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2004, 12:19:42 AM »

You're getting into insults and being personal about it.  If you have serious doctrinal questions to debate, then leave the insult stuff out of it.  Don't call them a cult or insinuate they are murderers and stuff.  Just focus on the doctrine if that's you interest.

But it strikes me an awful lot as just trying to drag down a group of people for being too different from your group of people.  Which I should expect from a neo-Confederate with a picture of Wallace in his sig, but still.

Get off your high horse already.

Most major Christian Leaders consider the Mormons a cult due to the fact that their beliefs are no where near Orthodox Christian beliefs. And like I said earlier a cult does not always have negative conotations. Yes, the fact still remains that the Mormons in 1857 killed a group of westernbound settlers at Mountain Meadows plus their were several small incidents between settlers and Mormons. I gave the link to that and the History Channel did a documentary on it. I was refuting his argument about, "You can't question us because we have always been beat up as a group". Sometimes historical facts are not always nice and may sound like personal insults. But the fact remains...they are FACTS. Your last paragraph is P.C. BS which isn't even worthy of my time debating you on because you are so blinded by your "knowledge".
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies