Non-Mormons in Utah
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:31:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Non-Mormons in Utah
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Non-Mormons in Utah  (Read 18784 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2004, 11:35:02 AM »

I am referring to the Book of Mormon. Which goes against the words of the bible and is false doctrine.

It does not go against the words of the Bible, it goes hand in hand with the Bible.  Furthermore, it does not teach false doctrines, and I want you to name them.  Also, have you read it?  If not, I have a hard time trying to justify the hipocrisy you're presenting me.

The KJV says that any book outside the bible is false doctrine. And if even an angel from heaven comes down and tells you it's true that to believe it would make you accursed.
cwelsch

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2004, 05:49:30 PM »

I believe there's something in the Bible near the end that says nobody can add to it, which would discount the Book of Mormon and the Koran/Qu'ran.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2004, 07:35:31 PM »

I believe there's something in the Bible near the end that says nobody can add to it, which would discount the Book of Mormon and the Koran/Qu'ran.

No it would not discount either considering they're different books.

Yes, god told John in the bible that it can not be added to or detracted from and to do so would make one accursed.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2004, 08:03:32 PM »

Yes, god told John in the bible that it can not be added to or detracted from and to do so would make one accursed.

Obviously you aren't getting it...THEY ARE DIFFERENT BOOKS!  BTW I'm also still waiting for the scripture references of the other post you made.

The book of Mormon is incompatible with the Bible.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2004, 08:05:48 PM »

Obviously you aren't getting it...THEY ARE DIFFERENT BOOKS!  BTW I'm also still waiting for the scripture references of the other post you made.

The book of Mormon is incompatible with the Bible.

Compatability Error! Please Download Bible 2004.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2004, 08:10:11 PM »

OK, Fine here is the quote. I will let the bible defend itself.

"But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!" Galatians 1:6-9
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2004, 08:17:42 PM »

All these "Sects" are wrong. Plain and simple. Mormons, Quakers, Catholics, Protestants. They are all off track of real Christianity.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2004, 08:19:11 PM »

All these "Sects" are wrong. Plain and simple. Mormons, Quakers, Catholics, Protestants. They are all off track of real Christianity.

And what's your view of real Christianity?

Going word for word with what the bible says. Doctrines, edicts and traditions are bullsh*t.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2004, 08:21:35 PM »

Going word for word with what the bible says. Doctrines, edicts and traditions are bullsh*t.

How do all of those above not go for what the Bible says?

Because the bible is not supposed to be added to or taken from. All you need is the bible. It gives you everything you need to be saved.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2004, 08:26:04 PM »

Because the bible is not supposed to be added to or taken from. All you need is the bible. It gives you everything you need to be saved.

As I've said, the LDS Church hasn't added to the Bible, or taken away from it.  I think it's very hipocritical that you say that, yet you use a Bible that's been "modernized."

The book of Mormon is adding to the bible.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2004, 08:27:57 PM »

As I've said, the LDS Church hasn't added to the Bible, or taken away from it.  I think it's very hipocritical that you say that, yet you use a Bible that's been "modernized."

The book of Mormon is adding to the bible.

It's not the same book, adding to the Bible is adding words, adding false teachings, and changing things to fit certain views.  None of those apply to the Book of Mormon.

Who inspired the book of Mormon?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2004, 08:30:39 PM »

Some things the mormons teach:

-Our God is an exalted man of flesh and bone
-He physically lives with His many wives near the star Kolob
-Worthy Mormon men can also become Gods, like Him
-Our God is one of many Gods and serves a God of His own!
-God came down to earth in the flesh and was the physical father of Jesus
-You should not trust the Bible in this matter. It is wrong.
-Trust their prophets.
-Read what the Mormon leaders say about our Savior and the Virgin Mary.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2004, 08:33:14 PM »

click here
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2004, 08:37:11 PM »

How do you deny what you own founders said?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2004, 08:38:45 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2004, 08:39:16 PM by Senator StatesRights »

How do you deny what you own founders said?

Give me a quote, you won't find a correct one.  Do you know who the "Founders" are?

Murderers and crooks mostly, according to history. Care to talk about the murder of a whole wagon train of westward bound settlers by the Mormons in the 1880s.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2004, 08:40:20 PM »

SR.

Really don't see the point in berating the Mormons.

I know many of them, including a couple of bishops.  

They're by and large pretty good people (in my experience).

I don't agree with them on many matters, including tobacco (pardon me while I ash my cigar), caffeine (excuse me while if take a sip of my diet cola), or alcohol (think I'll have a glass of rose with dinner), but to name a few tangible examples.

I generally believe in a little tolerance, as I'm not infalliable.  

Must admit I'm not to keen on hinduism through.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2004, 08:43:08 PM »

I am not saying they aren't good moral people. I think they are generally. But what I am saying is their doctrine is false just as much of the Catholic Churches doctrice is false. A disagreement w/doctrine doesn't equal hate of a person. This is the same argument used by people that say if you disagree with Judiasm or Isreal you are a Anti-Semite.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2004, 08:45:09 PM »

I am not saying they aren't good moral people. I think they are generally. But what I am saying is their doctrine is false just as much of the Catholic Churches doctrice is false. A disagreement w/doctrine doesn't equal hate of a person. This is the same argument used by people that say if you disagree with Judiasm or Isreal you are a Anti-Semite.

With all the lies you have posted today, it's not that apparent.

Believe what you want. OK? You think what I say is wrong and I think what you post is wrong..so whats the point in continuing?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2004, 08:49:29 PM »

Your point is quite valid.

I just think that you could make your point about disagreing with Mormon doctrines without resorting to excessively colorful language.

I would question just how accurate the King James version is relative to the original scriptures (note, I think it is both better written and more accurate than versions produced in the last 100 years).

I think the project ongoing at the Huntington Library many result in considerable clarification (i.e. the dead sea scrolls).
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2004, 08:53:35 PM »

I got a non-Mormon in Utah.

My uncle Barry is an athiest, and a Republican. (He's the only one left in my family that's still Republican).

He's living in Utah and California, back and forth over the past year.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2004, 08:54:22 PM »

I just think that you could make your point about disagreing with Mormon doctrines without resorting to excessively colorful language.

I would question just how accurate the King James version is relative to the original scriptures (note, I think it is both better written and more accurate than versions produced in the last 100 years).

I think the project ongoing at the Huntington Library many result in considerable clarification (i.e. the dead sea scrolls).

I used no colorful language. Everything I stated has been historically noted by credible Historians. Settlers were massacred by Mormons. Mountain Meadow and here is the link :

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_mass.htm
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2004, 08:55:00 PM »

Does anyone else find it amusing when one Christian accuses the other of having a false doctrine?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2004, 09:08:59 PM »

I used no colorful language. Everything I stated has been historically noted by credible Historians. Settlers were massacred by Mormons. Mountain Meadow and here is the link :

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_mass.htm

Are you sure you want to go there States?  Because you've said a lot here.  And why don't you also look up early Mormon history where hundreds were killed because they were Mormon.  Or how about the stage when they were driven from every state, and could only find refuge in Utah.  How about, while you're at it, you look up the early stages of Salt Lake, when the Union sent troops into Salt Lake, AFTER the members of the Church fought for Union in the Mexican War.  And what the heck, while you're looking up all this history, why don't you look at how Joseph Smith was murdered....let me say this again....MURDERED in JAIL!

Mormons, much like Native Americans have played poor minority and gotten away with it while most Americans overlook the history of these "poor, helpless" minorities. Mountain Meadows is just one example.
cwelsch

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2004, 11:43:14 PM »

God.  Leave the Mormons alone.  Almost all the ones I've met or seen are super-nice, intelligent, giving people, as well as studious and kind.  What do you care if they thought god was a purple lollipop and Heaven is a small diner outside Albuquerque?  They're mostly very nice folks, and you don't have to live like them.  If they go to Hell that's their beef, not yours.

Their beliefs don't hurt you.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2004, 11:50:35 PM »

God.  Leave the Mormons alone.  Almost all the ones I've met or seen are super-nice, intelligent, giving people, as well as studious and kind.  What do you care if they thought god was a purple lollipop and Heaven is a small diner outside Albuquerque?  They're mostly very nice folks, and you don't have to live like them.  If they go to Hell that's their beef, not yours.

Their beliefs don't hurt you.

So debating doctrinal beliefs is off the table? Why are you on a political board then? Like I said, you CAN debate doctrine w/out hating someone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies