Will he dare declare?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:14:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Will he dare declare?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will the Obama speech tonight be a declaration of victory?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Will he dare declare?  (Read 2245 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:32:07 AM »

Even if he uses fancy language, will it be?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 08:33:26 AM »

My bet is that he mentions his clinched delegate status, but goes out of his way to avoid offending the Clinton folks.  He seems comfortable enough with his lead that he doesn't have to.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:36:37 AM »

My bet is that he mentions his clinched delegate status, but goes out of his way to avoid offending the Clinton folks.  He seems comfortable enough with his lead that he doesn't have to.

Agreed....and even if he crosses the line (and will be purposeful if he does), his campaign will use the play it down tactic tomorrow knowing the point was made.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:37:22 AM »

unless he has 2209 delegates at the end of the evening, he shouldnt.

he should stick to the platitudes and the pie-in-the-sky fantasy land sh**t he usually talks about.

i hope hillary speaks first so i can turn off my tv.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:36:43 AM »

I don't think he'll request that she end her candidacy or say anything that suggests impatience with the Clinton campaign, although the impatience must surely be real.  I think he will declare victory.  He won't be offensive or impatient with Clinton, and in fact he'll probably talk about what a wonderful, magnanimous person she is and how great her senate record has been on all those things important to progressives, humanitarians, and the other enlightened members of the species.  But he'll basically thank Iowa for the "opportunity" and talk about "faith" and "values" and generally talk about "moving forward" although he may not actually use the word "victory."  In fact, if I were advising him, I'd suggest that he strongly and unambiguously declare victory and focus on the general election campaign, but avoid actually using the word victory (Too militaristic.  It's a Republican's word, really.  Focus on gratitude and humility, I'd advise him.) 

I also think he'll focus on the general election campaign, but only after he's finished with the obligatory show of gratitude and the effervescent nationalism embodied in his claims about how only in America can a one-eyed, freckled, jackrabbit whose mother is from Venus and whose father is from Mars receive a major-party nomination for President.  I think he'll refer to "the Republicans" and the "Bush policies" much more in his speech than to "Senator McCain" since they're both going for the upbeat crowd.  If he does mention McCain by name, it will only be to say what a wonderful, magnanimous, patriotic war-hero he is.  I think Obama will smile quite a bit too.  I really think he should wear the Stevie Ray Vaughan hat.  It offsets his enormous ears, and, quite frankly, he looks sexy in that hat.  Like most Americans, I'm looking for a candidate who looks good in a tank top, smiles quite a bit, talks about "values," and makes me want to have a shot and a beer with him.  If he wears the black hat, I'll be impressed.  If he wears a tank top, he'll win my vote.  If he takes a shot of an American-made grain beverage and chases it with a premium domestic ale such as a Sierra Nevada or Saint Joseph's Ale, then I'll even put up a sign in my window. 

So he'll declare victory by saying "thank you" to all those who "made this nomination possible" and talk about November, but he'll studiously avoid any hint of impatience with Clinton.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »

he should stick to the platitudes and the pie-in-the-sky fantasy land sh**t he usually talks about.

Hillary is the one that is living in a fantasy world. There is no way shw will win.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:50:01 AM »

Walter, what is your take on Michigan?  Should Clinton get every single vote and delegate and leave Obama out in the cold completely because he took his name off the ballot?  That seems to be what Terry McAuliffe thinks should happen.

I think the biggest reason why Clinton and her fine folks are advocating this is because it only helps her and hurts Obama.  If it were the other way around, or if it were a split state between the two, then she wouldn't advocate it as strongly.

Anyway, he shouldn't declare victory tonight, and I don't think he will.  He has to wait until she ends her campaign, which I hope she does on Wednesday, June 4.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 12:25:42 PM »

Walter, what is your take on Michigan?  Should Clinton get every single vote and delegate and leave Obama out in the cold completely because he took his name off the ballot?  That seems to be what Terry McAuliffe thinks should happen.

I think the biggest reason why Clinton and her fine folks are advocating this is because it only helps her and hurts Obama.  If it were the other way around, or if it were a split state between the two, then she wouldn't advocate it as strongly.

Anyway, he shouldn't declare victory tonight, and I don't think he will.  He has to wait until she ends her campaign, which I hope she does on Wednesday, June 4.

michigan should have had a re-vote.  period.

pretty clever strategy by obama.  he took his name off the ballot, because he knew he was going to lose anyway.  that way hed be able to whine about his name not being on the ballot if there were ever talk of counting those delegates.

i wouldnt have been opposed to a re-vote in florida either.  the only condition for a re-vote would be that the tax payers do NOT foot the bill for either one. 
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »

Walter, what is your take on Michigan?  Should Clinton get every single vote and delegate and leave Obama out in the cold completely because he took his name off the ballot?  That seems to be what Terry McAuliffe thinks should happen.

I think the biggest reason why Clinton and her fine folks are advocating this is because it only helps her and hurts Obama.  If it were the other way around, or if it were a split state between the two, then she wouldn't advocate it as strongly.

Anyway, he shouldn't declare victory tonight, and I don't think he will.  He has to wait until she ends her campaign, which I hope she does on Wednesday, June 4.

michigan should have had a re-vote.  period.

pretty clever strategy by obama.  he took his name off the ballot, because he knew he was going to lose anyway.  that way hed be able to whine about his name not being on the ballot if there were ever talk of counting those delegates.

i wouldnt have been opposed to a re-vote in florida either.  the only condition for a re-vote would be that the tax payers do NOT foot the bill for either one. 

Obama would have won MI like he won WI. Clinton could even get out of the 50% with no one on the ballot but her. Please take your Clinton hack comments somewhere else.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 12:38:48 PM »

josh werent you a clinton supporter the week before the nc primary?

oh but youre back on the bandwagon again!  CUZ HE IS A WINNER!!11
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:52:29 PM »

josh werent you a clinton supporter the week before the nc primary?

oh but youre back on the bandwagon again!  CUZ HE IS A WINNER!!11

I was never a Clinton supporter, I did say she has some good views on things. I mean Clinton and Obama almost have the same views, and I would have voted for her if it wasn't for the gas hoilday view of hers. But unlike you I am no hack of one cadidate, and to say Obama would have lost to Clinton in MI when she didn't even make it out of the 50% with no one on the ballot but her is kinda stupid.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »

Especially after the news about Kennedy, no, I don't think he will. I really hope he doesn't, as he'd only be hurting himself.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2008, 08:14:54 PM by angus »

I love your signature.  Couldn't help thinking of AHduke99's post in the Ron Paul thread when I saw it.  Gives new meaning to the term "obama hack" doesn't it? 

edit:  nevermind.  I'll gloat after it's all over.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 07:52:58 PM »

I love your signature.  Couldn't help thinking of AHduke99's post in the Ron Paul thread when I saw it.  Gives new meaning to the term "obama hack" doesn't it? 

I'm a very big fan of pictures of politicians in candid poses. Smiley
Angel of Death
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 08:21:57 PM »

He got them and he didn't even need Oregon.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 08:25:34 PM »

For Obama's sake, I hope he doesn't. But for my sake, I hope he comes out on a wave of hope and change and declares himself victorious! Then, his crowd of Obamaniacs can chant "yes we can!" all over national TV!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 09:51:49 PM »

He didn't and he shouldn't.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 07:50:08 AM »

I think Angus pretty much nailed this.  Did you write his speach Angus?  Wink
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 09:43:56 AM »

WaPo on-line front page top led this morning with the following headline:

"Obama Claims Majority Of Pledged Delegates"

in big font.  Then, in smaller font, a few lines later:

"McCain assails Obama's readiness."

Then, somewhere way down the page: 

"Clinton Wins Easily in Kentucky."

So it's obvious that the press still like Democrats a little better than Republicans, and that they like Obama much better than they like Clinton. 

The aforementioned article uses the word "victory" in its second sentence, by the way, but I don't think Obama used it in his speech.  He did use the phrase "John McCain" six times, by my count, and "George Bush" five times.  "Senator Clinton" was uttered only once, as far as I could tell.  "Senator Clinton has shattered myths and broken barriers and changed the America in which my daughters and yours will come of age."  I actually liked that line.  It was a touching, artful way of mentioning her gender and the fact that she's a glass ceiling-shatterer.  No mention of her husband, though, whose policies probably went a long way for a black guy to come so far.  Prior to 1992, the word "welfare" was toxic, and pitted whites against blacks just as much as it pitted Democrats against Republicans.  But his welfare reform made the Democrats look a little more determined to deal with the "welfare queens."  Also, crime was a major issue.  The white folks of the late 80s wanted tougher penalties for all sorts of crimes, whereas blacks (and democrats) usually thought of the laws as disproportionately hard on black people.  Especially the death penalty.  But Clinton comes along, and not only vows to put a hundred thousand more cops on the streets nationwide, but also goes out of his way to fly back to Arkansas in the midst of a heated campaign in 1992 to witness the execution of a black man.  How's that for a "new" Democrat?  Turned the tables a bit, he did.  Made the Democrats look tough on welfare, and tough on crime, and therefore appeal to white "working class" folks in many other ways that they hadn't since the early sixties.  So if you're going to mention Hillary, then you also have to mention Bill.  But, oh, wait, he actually didn't use the word "Hillary" but rather "Senator Clinton."  Ah, well, that is a bit of a psychological difference then.

The speech started well, by the way, the the obligatory tribute to Kennedy.  (I'm not a fan, but I suppose those Iowans in attendance were, judging by their applause.)  The key moment was when he said something like, "...in the fullness of spring, with the help of those who stood up from Portland to Louisville, we have returned to Iowa with a majority of delegates elected by the American people."  I thought that might be a declaration of victory, but then he tempered it with, "and you have put us within reach of the Democratic nomination for president of the United States of America."  That way we can still argue about whether it was truly a declaration of victory.  I say it was such a declaration, but was done in typical Omamaesque style.  He's very particular and very sensitive about his choice of words, and I think the tempering of the declaration was his idea and his idea alone.

Mostly white, mostly "working class," and mostly Democrats, the crowd seemed to like his speech.  Especially when he went after John McCain by comparing his policy positions to Bush over and over.  (four times by my count).  Note that the only other mentions of McCain were praise.  Patriot.  Hero.  That sort of thing.

But it trailed off into irrelevance after that.  And it was a tad short.  Don't you think?  I'd say it was a decent speech, but not one of his best.  A victory speech should be less ambiguous.  maybe he's saving that one for the morning of Wednesday, November 5.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 09:47:23 AM »

I'd say it was a decent victory speech, but not one of his best. 

Well it wasn't a true victory victory speech given that he had to tread semi-lightly and not say Hillary is f'ing toast and for her sit down and shut up, but overall I thought it was excellent.  He wasn't "trying" too hard to be "up" about things and he had the crowd so lathered up it was unreal.  Picking Iowa for this speech's venue was sheer brilliance.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 09:58:25 AM »

Picking Iowa for this speech's venue was sheer brilliance.

Unless you are from one of those states he didn't win.  Wink 

I did like the speech, but, as I'm sure you well know, Wink he can't yet claim victory yet.  Hillary can win it, nasty, but she can win it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 10:01:31 AM »

I did like the speech, but, as I'm sure you well know, Wink he can't yet claim victory yet.  Hillary can win it, nasty, but she can win it.

If she hired you for the meeting with the rules and bylaws committee she would win, no doubt.  (and no I'm not kidding fellow posters).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 10:08:47 AM »

"picking iowa"

The phrase puts me in mind of the quote from the Manchester Union Leader just after New Hampshire voters chose Clinton and McCain for their candidates, “In Iowa they pick corn; in New Hampshire they pick presidents.”  You'll recall that a couple of weeks earlier Iowans had chosen Obama and Huckabee.  So the proverbial empty glove has been offered to the face, French style, and it has become a matter of great moral imperative to see that at least one of Iowa's picks goes to the general election. 

When it's all over, if you don't like the choices, then you can blame them for McCain, I suppose, but you can blame us for Obama.  I voted for Ron Paul, of course, but I have long admitted that Obama was my second choice after Paul, and I have been personally rooting for him for about a year now.  So I guess I'm a typical Iowa resident in the sense that I really want to see him win his party's nomination. 

Picking Iowa.  Picking corn.  Picking cotton.  Picking a fight.  Picking my underwear from my between my cheeks.  Picking my nose.  It's a very provocative word, don't you think?

And I'll concede that it wasn't a "victory speech" but I still say that in the speech he declared that he was victorious in achieving one of his goals.  I really think the next battle comes in November, and that this one is settled. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »

Well it's just a word I chose, and I think he did dare declare.  Anything he does to seal the deal is fine with me.  As you have noted before  "if it keeps the bitch out of the White House, then I guess it's ok by me."
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 10:35:36 AM »

If she hired you for the meeting with the rules and bylaws committee she would win, no doubt.  (and no I'm not kidding fellow posters).

She probably doesn't need me, ironically.  She has a good idea of how to do it.

As a coup master once said, "A coup is not pretty and not for the timid."  Hillary is not timid and  is willing to win ugly.

If I were called by Obama today, I would tell him to worry.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies