Election Night 1992 coverage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:52:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election Night 1992 coverage
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election Night 1992 coverage  (Read 5716 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:15:06 PM »

Parts 1-6 up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/videohollic2008a
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:01:01 PM »

this is awesome! Great find.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:22:57 PM »

I'm a little surprised that they called Georgia and New Hampshire so early, considering Clinton only won them by about a point.
GPORTER
gporter
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 08:17:28 PM »

this is the election night that I have wanted to see coverage of ever since I came into politics. I LOVE IT!!!!!
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »

Only for 1996.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:48:05 PM »

Dan Rather: "Texas, 32 electoral votes. Another of the so-called big enchiladas, or if not an enchilada, at least a huge taco!"

God, I miss him.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 01:32:22 PM »

That's it all up now Smiley
ps79
Rookie
Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 08:47:54 PM »

Watched it yesterday, love this stuff Smiley And yes, the host is excellent.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 08:56:47 PM »

I'm a little surprised that they called Georgia and New Hampshire so early, considering Clinton only won them by about a point.

They called a lot early that night.  They called New Jersey right away, even though Clinton won by just 2% and im pretty sure they called North Carolina for him at one point, which he lost by a point. 
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 09:25:11 AM »

I find it to be about as surprising as the fact that they called Florida for Gore in 2000 BEFORE the polls had closed even though he narrowly lost it... Tongue

I believe the networks (especialyl CNN) got so badly burnt after 2000 that they stopped calling states early.
Bluegrass Cruiser 420
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 11:51:47 AM »

Does anyone know where I can find election night 2000 coverage.  That was the most ridiculous election reporting ever.  I'll never forget when Fla. was to close to call, Dan (fake, but accurate) Blather couldn't think of anything else to say so when on some stupid tangent about this being "the dance of democracy".
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 12:57:21 PM »

I find it to be about as surprising as the fact that they called Florida for Gore in 2000 BEFORE the polls had closed even though he narrowly lost it... Tongue

I believe the networks (especialyl CNN) got so badly burnt after 2000 that they stopped calling states early.

It took 'em long enough to call Florida in 2004, long after it was obvious that Bush had taken the state by 5 points, but I guess it keeps it interesting. They'll probably never again call the winner of an election until after polls have closed on the West Coast...maybe even Alaska, but we all know they're solidly republican.

Does anyone know if 2008 will be the same as far as poll closing times go?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 07:29:57 PM »

It took 'em long enough to call Florida in 2004, long after it was obvious that Bush had taken the state by 5 points, but I guess it keeps it interesting. They'll probably never again call the winner of an election until after polls have closed on the West Coast...maybe even Alaska, but we all know they're solidly republican.

Does anyone know if 2008 will be the same as far as poll closing times go?

Yes, they are the same closing times. I think a lot of the reason why some of the states took so long to call in 2004 was because the exit polls were so far off in some states. Kerry won the election in a mini-landslide according to them, so the networks were kind of going by the seat of their pants when the returns were coming in favoring President Bush. IIRC, Bush was ahead 50-49 according to the FL exit poll, so they may have expected it to be closer and didn't want to make a mistake by calling it, only to watch it get close like it did in 2000.

Same goes with others. I think the Mississippi exit poll showed Kerry getting 46% and 67% in Vermont. That was a strange election from that aspect as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies