Is America becoming more pro-life or pro-choice...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:48:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is America becoming more pro-life or pro-choice...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...since the 1980s?
Pro-Life

Pro-Choice

Staying the same

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Is America becoming more pro-life or pro-choice...  (Read 2573 times)
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2008, 09:44:01 PM »

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:26:06 PM »

Pro-Life.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 10:28:33 PM »

Then why'd you vote "pro-choice"?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 10:30:54 PM »

I didn't even vote.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 01:17:35 AM »

I would say on the abortion issue, staying the same.

Though I can't object strenuously enough to the ridiculous notion that one who opposes abortion rights deserves the "pro life" moniker.  He or she MAY be truly pro life.  But I would have to see where such a person stands on a whole range of issues before letting them get away with that claim.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 01:29:25 AM »

I would say on the abortion issue, staying the same.

Though I can't object strenuously enough to the ridiculous notion that one who opposes abortion rights deserves the "pro life" moniker.  He or she MAY be truly pro life.  But I would have to see where such a person stands on a whole range of issues before letting them get away with that claim.

Yep. Very few conservatives are in fact pro-life. I have tremendous respect for those that do, though I don't see it as feasible.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 05:07:51 PM »

I think the country is becoming more pro-life, but the fact that the shift seems to be occuring mostly in the youth of America, the numbers will most likely be staggering in about 15 years.  I expect the country to become 65/35 pro-life and the same way for gay marriage
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 05:14:19 PM »

Data? The vast majority of polling that I've seen shows young people are only marginally more pro-life than their parents. Mostly the trend is towards thinking abortion should be legal but restricted a bit more. Basically a moderate pro-choice position.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »

Data? The vast majority of polling that I've seen shows young people are only marginally more pro-life than their parents. Mostly the trend is towards thinking abortion should be legal but restricted a bit more. Basically a moderate pro-choice position.

Couldn't agree more.  I find Baby Boomers and women to have the sharper positions on the issue whereas people my age tend to me grayer on the issue.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 11:16:30 PM »

I think the country is becoming more pro-life, but the fact that the shift seems to be occuring mostly in the youth of America, the numbers will most likely be staggering in about 15 years.  I expect the country to become 65/35 pro-life and the same way for gay marriage
I notice a high percentage of young people being pro-life, but I chalk it up to being a Mississippi thing and not a nationwide thing.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »

Pro-life, but barely.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 01:44:44 AM »

I'd say pro-life in the true sense of the word, as Democrats seem to be realizing that abortion is an important issue and one that needs to be addressed (albeit not in the ridiculous way that most Republicans propose "solving" the problem).

Abortion must be acknowledged as always a bad choice, though sometimes the least bad of all available options. Overall the focus should be on reducing unwanted pregnancies through better and more widely available health care, more widespread birth control, better economic conditions, etc.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 09:38:11 AM »

I'd say pro-life in the true sense of the word, as Democrats seem to be realizing that abortion is an important issue and one that needs to be addressed (albeit not in the ridiculous way that most Republicans propose "solving" the problem).

Abortion must be acknowledged as always a bad choice, though sometimes the least bad of all available options. Overall the focus should be on reducing unwanted pregnancies through better and more widely available health care, more widespread birth control, better economic conditions, etc.

I'll agree with that.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 10:06:54 AM »

I don't think the numbers are shifting substantially in either direction, but I do think that the issue is fading. With today's emphasis on terrorrism and Iraq, abortion isn't getting the attention it used to.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 11:53:06 AM »

I don't think the numbers are shifting substantially in either direction, but I do think that the issue is fading. With today's emphasis on terrorrism and Iraq, abortion isn't getting the attention it used to.
Even those are fading. How much have you heard this election about Iraq compared to 2006? The few times serious issues (pastors don't count) are discussed lately, they mostly seem to be focused on the economy. Besides everyone knows gay marriage is the new abortion. Wink
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 03:08:22 PM »

Somewhat more pro-life.

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »

Why do some people on this forum always think government funding can help a problem?  Giving free birth control, health care, and better education is not going to do a lot to decrease unwanted pregnancies.  The numbers will fall, but its kind of hard to get people to do it if they don't want to
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 07:02:05 PM »

Why do some people on this forum always think government funding can help a problem?  Giving free birth control, health care, and better education is not going to do a lot to decrease unwanted pregnancies.  The numbers will fall, but its kind of hard to get people to do it if they don't want to

Helps to make it available doesnt it. No not everyone will be responsible but at least some more pregnancies will be prevented.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 09:09:53 PM »

My thought process upon reading this:

*a million different thoughts start flooding through my mind all based around a common thought:  Naivety*

*These thoughts coalesce into two things:  Frustration and disgust*

You're like someone who demonstrates how 2+2=4 by grabbing someone else and cutting 4 of their fingers off.  Somewhere the initial point is proven, but you've started many more problems in the process... and you don't just have 2+2=4 anymore, but also a bleeding guy going into shock and a distraught family in the background.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »

Clinton years=more funding=less abortions.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 06:30:15 PM »

The numbers really aren't changing that much. Most kids are less likely to be totally "pro-choice", but less of them are likely to be "pro-life". There really isn't any evidence to support the fact that more Americans, especially kids, are becoming more anti-abortion. My guess is that it just seems that way because the numbers on abortion aren't really changing and yet this is a more Democratic generation. The way I see is that the anti-abortion issue is hanging on to more progressive demographics is because of two or three things-

- Fetal Rights can be spun into a liberal civil rights issue
- Youth Groups are pretty active
- There just isn't the same environment of anti-abortion abuse that there was in the 50s and 60s.
- Young Catholic Mexicans coming to America.
- Abortion Rates are dropping- though, they are dropping everywhere in the world even FASTER than in the U.S. (and the facts that abortion laws or opinions don't effect abortion rates)

I haven't really been posting that much lately. Getting ready for my summer job. Just got out of exams. I probably won't post that much in the near future, I don't think.

I don't think that Willy or DWTL's prediction that Roe will be overturn, abortion will be largely banned and no one in their right minds will question those bans by 2020-2030ish is realistic. Unless, of course, there is technology that allows for abortion without the actual interruption of fetal development. Then again, who knows what will happen. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »

Opinions on this issue moved to the right in the 1980s and 1990s, as they had moved to the left in the 60s and 70s.  I suspect things have stabilized, for now, with maybe ever so much movement towards the pro-life side (partially because of science).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 11:09:54 PM »

Which trimester are we talking about?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 11:51:25 PM »

If there is a genetic basis, evolution will select for pro-life genes.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 11:51:34 PM »

I think America will eventually become a pro-life nation with very restricted Abortions. The best way is through birth control and if the retarded fundies would let us spread it more we could perhaps have less abortions and unwanted pregnancies.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies