Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:00:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39
Author Topic: Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!  (Read 162458 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: October 23, 2010, 07:47:43 PM »

Some states are considering bringing back the Electoral College.  The President doesn't state his opinion on the issue yet.  (Privately Powell, after being against the idea before, now wants to maybe get it back somehow).

Speaker of the House New Gingrich states that he will meet with House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt to discuss the subject.  The plan might be that they would reinstate the Electoral College but each state would divide it's EV's between the candidates.  Example: If a candidate would get 50% of the vote in a state, they'd get 50% of the states Electoral Votes.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #926 on: October 23, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »

The House decides to vote on the Proportional Electoral College Vote Act.  Speaker of the House Gingrich and House Minority Leader Gephardt feel that they've reached a compromise.  The House votes 230-205 on this legislation.  It passes the House now.  10 Democrats voted for it and 15 Republicans voted against it.

Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott would like to bring this up soon.  However Senate Minority Leader Ted Kennedy states "This legislation is bad.  The Republican's can't do this to Americans.  I therefore plan to filibuster this legislation as much as possible."

Republican Senators Collins and Snowe of Maine as well as John McCain of Arizona will vote with the opposition to the bill.  Therefore the Republicans need to hold together and get 10 Democrats to vote for this to avoid a filibuster on the bill.  Senate Minority Leader Ted Kennedy feels this can be filibustered.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #927 on: October 24, 2010, 09:16:10 PM »

Lott decided to meet privately with Kennedy to discuss the bill.  Kennedy stated he'd help it pass if they could compromise on it.  Lott and Kennedy decide to pass the Electoral College Reform Act of 1997.  This would allow states to keep the Electoral Votes if they wanted to.  This bill would have to be revisited in the 106th Congress.  Kennedy was glad there was a "revisited" clause in the bill.

The Senate passes the Electoral College Reform Act of 1997 by a vote of 64-36.  Now the House has to pass this bill.  The House votes on the bill 253-182.  President Powell signs it into law on March 20, 1997.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #928 on: October 24, 2010, 09:45:56 PM »

On May 25th, 1997 Strom Thurmond becomes the longest member of the Senate.  President Powell says "I want to congratulate Senator Thurmond on a career of 41 plus years."  Thurmond is 94 years old.

On June 11, 1997 the U.K. parliament votes for a total ban on handguns.  This sparks gun control debate in the United States.  The Republicans want to assure that all Americans have gun rights.  This is one issue where the Democrats and Republicans are divided.  Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich states "As long as I'm Speaker of the House we won't take your guns away."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #929 on: October 24, 2010, 09:55:52 PM »

In mid July the Dow is up.  The Dow stock has doubled in 2 1/2 years.

The House and Senate both vote overwhelmingly for the Balanced Budget Act of 1997 which is singed into law.  They also pass the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 which is signed into law the same day as the Balanced Budget Act of 1997.

With the midterms over a year away it looks like the Republicans may gain some seats.

Approval rating:
Republicans 53%
Democrats 45%
Unsure 2%
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #930 on: October 30, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »

As 1998 gets here President Powell starts campaigning for Republicans in the House and Senate.  "I feel that Republicans can win more seats this fall.  We must and we will win more."

Mid 1998 Microsoft was in a lawsuit against the U.S. government.  Bill Gates was testifying for Microsoft.  He didn't believe Microsoft did anything wrong.

During the beginning of 1998 the Embassy Building is bombed and it isn't harmed much since the implementation of the Secure Buildings Act of 1993.

Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich states "We need to fight these terrorists and stop them from attacking U.S. soil."  He proposes bringing up more secure measures.  His bill is the Secure America Act of 1998.  It would make it tough to get into official buildings without top security checks.  It would thus amend the former Secure Buildings Act of 1993 a bit.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #931 on: October 31, 2010, 12:03:03 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2010, 04:19:21 PM by TommyC1776 »

The Secure America Act of 1998 passed the House 300-135 and passed the Senate 70-30.  President Powell signs it into law on September 19th, 1998.  Republicans have a good rating: 60%.

Midterm, 1998:
House: 251 Republicans, 184 Democrats
Senate: 56 Republicans, 44 Democrats

Ted Kennedy says "Democrats still need to filibuster some conservative legislation.  Republicans don't have the 60 votes needed to stop a filibuster.  Democrats represent the better in people."

The leaders remain the same.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #932 on: October 31, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2010, 11:52:41 AM by TommyC1776 »

On January 3rd, 1999 the 106th Congress starts.  Senate Majority Leader states "Starting in this Congress we can get a bit more done since we have more seats."

Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich wants to bring the Proportional Electoral Vote Act of 1999.  The House vote on this is 240-195.  A majority of Democrats oppose this while most Republicans supported it.  Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott wants to vote on it soon.  He hopes he can get 60 votes on this legislation.  Some of the conservative Democrats are considering supporting this legislation.  However Senate Minority Leader Ted Kennedy wants to be able to filibuster this legislation.

The final Senate vote is 61-39.  5 Democrats supported it.  President Powell signs it into law on February 24, 1999.  This would take effect over the next 10 years.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #933 on: October 31, 2010, 09:46:21 PM »

On March 1st, 1999 Steve Forbes announces he's a candidate for the Republican nomination.  "Today Americans, I'm jumping in the Presidential race again.  I feel that my voice can and will be heard by everyone."

A few days later TN Senator Al Gore states he's a candidate for the Democratic nomination.  "Americans we need better leadership than we've seen under President Powell.  We can't afford Republican ideas.  Let's go forward and get the Democratic nomination."

Late March Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott decides to run for the Republican nomination.  "Americans, we can continue America's successes with me as your President.  Thanks."

Early April, former NJ Senator Bill Bradley decides to put his hat in the ring for the Democratic nomination.

In early summer MA Senator John Kerry decides to put his hat in the ring for the Democratic nomination.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #934 on: October 31, 2010, 09:51:14 PM »

Wait and see what else happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #935 on: October 31, 2010, 10:27:55 PM »

Senator John McCain decides to jump into the race for Republican nomination.  "I feel Americans need a new direction and with me they can do that."

Polling:

Democrats:
Gore 45%
Bradley 37%
Kerry 17%
Undecided 1%

Republicans:
McCain 42%
Lott 30%
Forbes 23%
Undecided 4%.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #936 on: November 03, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2010, 02:16:07 PM by TommyC1776 »

After long consideration President Powell decides to jump in the race for the Republican nomination in 2000.  (In my timeline no term limits were passed).  "I feel that we need to stay in the direction we're going.  Therefore I announce I'm a candidate for a third term for the Presidency."

When this happens Senate Majority Leader decides to drop out of the race and endorse the President.  "I feel that I need to step aside now that the President has decided to run again.  Thank you."

McCain says "I'll endorse the President." Forbes tells reporters "I'm going to stay in the race as long as I can."

Republican Polling:
Powell 60%
Forbes 31%
Undecided 9%
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #937 on: November 03, 2010, 12:24:23 PM »

Senate Minority Leader Ted Kennedy endorses his fellow colleage Senator John Kerry for the Presidency.  "I feel that Senator Kerry can represent America better than President Powell."

Former Senator Bill Bradley and Senator Al Gore are disappointed in not having Kennedy's support.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #938 on: November 03, 2010, 03:01:09 PM »

YAAAA! Powell for three terms. While I'm posting, I have acouple questions:
1) It seems that the parties have no major changes, however, the Republican Presidentis seem to be more moderate (Powell and Bush, not Reagan and Goldwater). It seems that people that were major Cosnervative icons in their time ended up on the Vice-Presidential tickets.
2) Can you give a list of the Presidents, not now maybe, but at the end of the timeline (2008, 2010)?
3) If you can't make a list of the Presidents, can you tell me if there was a President Henry Ford in this timeline? I know there was one timeline where he was President, but I'm not sure which (This TL, the Wet House, or Fluke of the Gods)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #939 on: November 03, 2010, 04:34:24 PM »

1) It seems that the parties have no major changes, however, the Republican Presidentis seem to be more moderate (Powell and Bush, not Reagan and Goldwater). It seems that people that were major Cosnervative icons in their time ended up on the Vice-Presidential tickets.
2) Can you give a list of the Presidents, not now maybe, but at the end of the timeline (2008, 2010)?
3) If you can't make a list of the Presidents, can you tell me if there was a President Henry Ford in this timeline? I know there was one timeline where he was President, but I'm not sure which (This TL, the Wet House, or Fluke of the Gods)

I can make a TL of all the President's.  There was a President Henry Ford.  I can get a more conservative Republican in office.  Maybe George W. Bush in 2004?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #940 on: November 03, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »

As 1999 comes to a close, President Powell's approval ratings are 56%.  The Republican Party is at 50% in the polls while the Democratic Party is at 47% with 3% unsure.

President Powell says "Come on Americans, my campaign is going for a third term.  Something only two other Presidents (Stevenson and F.D.R.) have tried to run for third terms but lost.  Only one other man has won a third term and that was Alfred Landon.  We may have our struggles because I'm running for a third term but we can get past them."

There's a chance of the Democrats taking back the House next year.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #941 on: November 03, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »

I can make a TL of all the President's.  There was a President Henry Ford.  I can get a more conservative Republican in office.  Maybe George W. Bush in 2004?

Only if he's an actual Conservative, not the faux-Con we got in real life. I'd rather have an actual moderate than a fake Conservative. Good work, though, this is by far the longest Timeline I've ever read.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #942 on: November 14, 2010, 07:06:55 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2010, 02:17:49 PM by TommyC1776 »

Iowa Caucus: January 24th

Republican: 25 delegates
Powell 60%-15 delegates
Forbes 39%-10 delegates
Other 1%.

Powell says "Thank you.  Thank you."  Forbes says "This is going to be my year.  I feel it."

Democrat: 47 delegates
Gore 47%-22 delegates
Bradley 35%-16 delegates
Kerry 18%-9 delegates

Senator Al Gore says "Thanks Iowa and especially thanks to my wife, Tipper."  Bradley says "We didn't do half bad."  Kerry says "New Hampshire here we come."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #943 on: November 15, 2010, 10:50:59 PM »

Why is Powell facing not one, but two challengers during a good economy and peace-time, with one of the challengers being a fellow moderate?

By the way, scratch the idea of W. at oen point being President. Go with Jeb instead if you're gonna have a Conservative.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #944 on: November 17, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »

Why is Powell facing not one, but two challengers during a good economy and peace-time, with one of the challengers being a fellow moderate?

By the way, scratch the idea of W. at oen point being President. Go with Jeb instead if you're gonna have a Conservative.

Good point Cathcon.  I scratched off McCain.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #945 on: December 14, 2010, 09:10:04 AM »

Bump.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #946 on: August 10, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »

New Hampshire: February 1st

Republican: 17 delegates
Forbes 54%-9 delegates
Powell 46%-8 delegates

Forbes states "Thank you New Hampshire.  You've voted for real conservatism tonight.  We've showed President Powell he can't take us for granted.  Goodnight and God Bless America."

Powell states "This is just a little setback but were going to do alright in the weeks ahead."

Democrat: 22 delegates
Kerry 40%-9 delegates
Bradley 35%-8 delegates
Gore 25%-5 delegates

Kerry states "Thank you New Hampshire.  You've given my campaign new light.  Let's go on from here."
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #947 on: August 10, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »

Yay. It's back
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #948 on: August 10, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »

Comment:
Also, when I was going through this to try to compile some lists on it, I noticed that ittl, Presidents who seek third terms are not often  rewarded (Stevenson, FDR).

Question:
Also, in modern day, how much of icons are Harold Stassen, Robert Lincoln, and George Bush, etc. to modern Republicans? Do Dems say "we need a good Humphrey Democrat to win again" like Republicans with Reagan in RL?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #949 on: August 10, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »

Comment:
Also, when I was going through this to try to compile some lists on it, I noticed that ittl, Presidents who seek third terms are not often  rewarded (Stevenson, FDR).

Question:
Also, in modern day, how much of icons are Harold Stassen, Robert Lincoln, and George Bush, etc. to modern Republicans? Do Dems say "we need a good Humphrey Democrat to win again" like Republicans with Reagan in RL?

Powell will most likely win a 3rd term in my TL.  I didn't think about saying "Weneed a good Humphrey Democrat to win."  Will do that.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies