Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 04:23:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 39
Author Topic: Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!  (Read 163307 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: May 16, 2009, 02:05:47 PM »
« edited: May 16, 2009, 02:08:48 PM by TommyC1776 »

June 4:

California:

Democratic 174 delegates:
McCarthy 57%-99 delegates
Humphrey 43%-75 delegates

Republican: 86 delegates
Nixon 59%-51 delegates
Goldwater 41%-35 delegates

New Jersey:

Democratic: 82 delegates
Humphrey 50%-41 delegates
McCarthy 50%-41 delegates

Republican: 40 delegates
Goldwater 51%-20 delegates
Nixon 49%-20 delegates

South Dakota:

Democratic: 26 delegates
McCarthy 52%-14 delegates
Humphrey 48%-12 delegates

Republican: 14 delegates
Goldwater 54%-8 delegates
Nixon 46%-6 delegates

Total delegates (so far)Sad

Democratic:
Humphrey 477 delegates
McCarthy 417 delegates

Republican:
Nixon 247 delegates
Goldwater 170 delegates

Vice President Goldwater tells his supporters "I will take this fight to the convention if needed.  We must get the nomination this year.  We haven't had this kind of fight in our party since 1932.  Let's move forward and win Illinois big.  Thank you."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #501 on: May 16, 2009, 04:15:36 PM »

Democratic Primaries, 1968:

Hubert Humphrey
Eugene McCarthy

Republican Primaries, 1968:

Richard Nixon
Barry Goldwater
Nelson Rockefeller
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #502 on: May 16, 2009, 11:08:01 PM »

On June 5th Vice President Goldwater states "I'm in this race to win it and win it I will.  Let's win Illinois and win the nomination."  Theres talk Nixon and Goldwater camps that there could be a Nixon-Goldwater ticket in 1968 if Nixon wins the nod.

President Stassen urges Republicans to unite because he doens't want a brokered Convention.

On the Democratic side it's not as bad but McCarthy doesn't know what his motives will be if he loses Illinois.

Polls for Illinois:

Democratic:
McCarthy 54%
Humphrey 43%
Undecided 3%.

McCarthy hopes to get close to 60% in the primary.  Humphrey states "Anything above 45% will be a success for the campaign."

Republican:
Nixon 51%
Goldwater 44%
Undecided 5%.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #503 on: May 16, 2009, 11:16:09 PM »

General Election Polls:

Poll 1:
Humphrey 51%
Nixon 43%
Undecided 6%

Poll 2:
McCarthy 52%
Nixoxn 45%
Undecided 3%

Republicans aren't certain of victory in November because of the war.  It is estimated that the Democrats could pick up to 20 seats in the House and 5 or 6 in the Senate.

Senate Majority Leader Johnson states he will resign as Majority Leader at the end of this session of Congress but remain a Senator from Texas.

Get ready for the Illinois Primary on June 11th.  Who will win?  Will this primary officially decide the nominee of each party?  Wait and see what happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #504 on: May 16, 2009, 11:35:53 PM »

Illinois: June 11th

Democratic: 118 delegates
McCarthy 63%-74 delegates
Humphrey 37%-44 delegates

Republican: 58 delegates
Goldwater 54%-31 delegates
Nixon 46%-27 delegates

Goldwater was shocked at the results, as the polls showed a bit different.

Total delegates so far:

Democratic:
Humphrey 521 delegates
McCarthy 491 delegates

Republican:
Nixon 274 delegates
Goldwater 201 delegates

Get ready for the Conventions as well as some campaigning.  It looks as if that Humphrey is the Democratic nominee while it looks like Nixon is the Republican nominee.

Stay tuned.  Just wait.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #505 on: May 16, 2009, 11:43:18 PM »

Vice President Goldwater tells supporters "We will keep going on from here as not all the delegates are committed to one candidate.  At the Convention I will be the victor."

President Stassen urges the party to unite.  He plans to meet privately with Vice President Goldwater to discuss Goldwater's plan forward.

The Goldwater campaign considers, if it doesn't get the GOP nod, running as an Indy.  "We must be known as the conservative party and not as the moderate party.  We can't nominate a man who will turn off certain groups of people.  Let's go forth and let the delegates realize that.  Thank you and God Bless America."

On the Democratic side, Humphrey is a bit worried about McCarthy.  The McCarthy campaign is debating as to whether to stay in the race.

Senator McCarthy tells supporters "After a win, like that, in Illinois, this gives me no choice than to seriously considering staying in the race."

So, for 1968, we could have 2 divided parties.  But who knows?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #506 on: May 17, 2009, 12:01:52 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2009, 12:04:10 AM by TommyC1776 »

BREAKING NEWS: Vice President Goldwater decides to drop out and endorse former VP Richard Nixon for the Republican nomination.
Vice President Goldwater

Reporters stated "This was a shocking announcement by the Goldwater campaign." 

Goldwater finally states "Americans, this was a very tough decision I made.  I know some of you are going to be disappointed but it will unite the party.  I hope to be back again one day.  Thanks for all of your support.  Let's help Nixon win."

Richard Nixon is therefore the Republican nominee for President.

On June 21st Senator Eugene McCarthy decides to drop out.

BREAKING NEWS: Hubert Humphrey is the presumptive Democratic nominee in 1968.
Hubert Humphrey

On July 1st, 1968 former VP Nixon announces that Vice President Goldwater will be his running mate.

A few weeks later Humphrey announces that he will pick Senator Ralph Yarborough as his running mate.

Therefore we have Nixon/Goldwater vs. Humphrey/Yarborough.

Poll for General Election:
Humphrey 52%
Nixon 43%
Undecided 5%
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #507 on: May 17, 2009, 12:18:12 AM »

Pre-Convention state polls:

Hubert Humphrey
Richard Nixon
Undecided-Gray
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #508 on: May 17, 2009, 02:11:42 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2009, 02:23:28 PM by TommyC1776 »

Republican National Convention:

The Republicans nominate former Vice President Richard Nixon for President and current Vice President Barry Goldwater for Vice President.

Nixon states "Republicans we're here tonight to continue the progress of President Stassen.  We will move forward and defeat the Democrats in November.  Our party has suffered some setbacks in the last election and we must show that we can win back both Houses as well as keep the White House.  Alright, thanks and God Bless America.  Goodnight."

The ticket: Nixon/Goldwater

Democratic National Convention:

The Democrats nominate Hubert Humphrey for President and Senator Ralph Yarborough for Vice President.

Senator Humphrey states "Democrats, we must win this election.  The Republicans have ruined this country over the past 8 years.  This President is the worst we've had since Herbert Hoover.  Republicans want to continue this war.  We need to end the war in Vietnam and keep Universal healthcare unlike the Republicans.  Remember when you vote in November to vote Democratic with the Humphrey-Yarborough ticket.  Thank you and God Bless America.  Thanks."

The ticket: Humphrey/Yarborough.

Poll after Convention:
Humphrey 54%
Nixon 43%
Undecided 3%
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #509 on: May 17, 2009, 03:27:31 PM »

Presidential Debate: October 9th, 1968

Cronkite: Hello everyone.  Tonight is the only Presidential debate for 1968.  We have with us tonight former Vice President Nixon and Senator Humphrey.  We ask that you be quiet during the debate.  However, you may applause when we welcome Vice President Nixon and Senator Humphrey.  Welcome to you both.  First question, how would you handle the war if you were elected President?  Vice President Nixon go ahead.

Nixon: When it comes to the Vietnam War, we must continue our presence there.  Vietnam is the right war at the right time.  When I become President I will make sure that we end Communism once and for all.

Humphrey: This war has been wrong from the start.  The Democrats won in the 1966 midterms because Americans were sick of the Republicans lying about the war.  Once I'm inaugurated President I will start a withdrawal from Vietnam.

Cronkite: Alright.  The second thing I'd like to ask you is, will you plan to have the dream realized as far as landing a man on the moon by the end of next year?  Go ahead Senator Humphrey.

Humphrey: I believe that dream can be realized.  I plan to meet with NASA once I'm in office to discuss their plans.  This is a dream that I've always wanted to see.

Nixon: This is something where the Senator and I agree.  Sending a man to the moon is a mission that we need to do.  The Russians are planning a trip as well but America will get there first.

Cronkite: Last thing.  Last question.  Now Senator Humphrey has talked about a War on Poverty.  What's the plan for that and will it work?  Senator Humphrey please explain.  Then Vice President Nixon may have a rebuttal.

Humphrey: As far as the War on Poverty, we need to somehow get it going.  Poverty is not a way of life people like.  America is a nation where we help everyone.  Therefore shouldn't we help out the less fortunate as well.  I would cut taxes on most Americans and raise them on the rest.  This would make most people to live a better life.

Nixon: The War on Poverty is wrong.  The government can't be your big brother.  Government needs to be less.  The Democrats really will raise your taxes with these programs and no one wants that do they?

Humphrey: I just said I will lower taxes for most Americans.  I don't know where the Vice President gets these ideas from.  After all the war has cost money as well as lives.

Nixon: The war is necessary to end Communism whereas government programs are a waste of your taxpayer dollars which is wrong.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #510 on: May 17, 2009, 07:20:44 PM »

Presidential Election, 1968:

Hubert Humphrey
Richard Nixon

EV: Humphrey 356, Nixon 182
PV%: Humphrey 55% Nixon 44% Other 1%
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #511 on: May 17, 2009, 07:29:14 PM »

Congressional Results, 1968:
House: 265 Dems, 170 Reps.
Senate: 61 Dems, 39 Reps.

Humphrey states "We did it!  We won.  Americans chose the best candidate this year.  I had confidence in you all and it worked.  Now, starting January 20th we will have a lot of things to do. Thank you."

Nixon just releases a statement "This was very disappointing but was kind of expected after all the party had done over the past few years.  Thanks for all your support and maybe next time.  Thanks again."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #512 on: May 17, 2009, 11:31:29 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2009, 08:17:17 PM by TommyC1776 »

91st Congress Leadership:

Speaker of the House: John McCormack
House Majority Leader: Carl Albert

Senate Majority Leader: Edward Kennedy
Senate Minority Leader: William Knowland

When Humphrey takes office on January 20th, 1969 he will have a big Democratic majority in both Houses in Congress. 

On January 3rd, 1969 the 91st Congress is sworn in.  Senator Edward Kennedy states "We will bring up a lot of things over the next 2 years.  I plan to help President elect Humphrey bring up different issues."

On January 19th President Stassen states "I leave you Americans with a lot on your shoulders.  I know there have been some rough times but we did alright.  I appreciated that you elected me 2 times.  It's been fun as well as interesting.  God Bless and Thank you.  Goodbye."

Inauguration Day, 1969:

President Humphrey

Humphrey states "Americans, we are at an interesting time in American history.  We have to deal with a war as well as an unsure economy.  We must combat this together.  I urge you to pray with me that the boys over in Vietnam come home.  It will be a great honor to serve as President.  I have so many things instore for us from getting to the moon to hate crimes for blacks.  I also wish you help me and encourage others to support my ideas as well as actions.  Thank you."

In the House debate is being brought up on the Gun Control Act of 1969.  It would require owners of guns to carry permits as well as people who sell them to do the same.  A vote is scheduled soon.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #513 on: May 18, 2009, 03:53:18 PM »

When Humphrey takes office on January 20th, 1969 he will have a big Democratic majority in both Houses in Congress.  The Democrats have one over a filibuster proof majority in the Senate.

On January 3rd, 1969 the 91st Congress is sworn in.  Senator Edward Kennedy states "We will bring up a lot of things over the next 2 years.  I plan to help President elect Humphrey bring up different issues."

On January 19th President Stassen states "I leave you Americans with a lot on your shoulders.  I know there have been some rough times but we did alright.  I appreciated that you elected me 2 times.  It's been fun as well as interesting.  God Bless and Thank you.  Goodbye."

Inauguration Day, 1969:

President Humphrey

Humphrey states "Americans, we are at an interesting time in American history.  We have to deal with a war as well as an unsure economy.  We must combat this together.  I urge you to pray with me that the boys over in Vietnam come home.  It will be a great honor to serve as President.  I have so many things instore for us from getting to the moon to hate crimes for blacks.  I also wish you help me and encourage others to support my ideas as well as actions.  Thank you."

In the House debate is being brought up on the Gun Control Act of 1969.  It would require owners of guns to carry permits as well as people who sell them to do the same.  A vote is scheduled soon.

Back in 1968, it took a 2/3rd majority to break a Senate filibuster
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #514 on: May 18, 2009, 08:17:52 PM »

When Humphrey takes office on January 20th, 1969 he will have a big Democratic majority in both Houses in Congress.  The Democrats have one over a filibuster proof majority in the Senate.

Inauguration Day, 1969:

President Humphrey

Back in 1968, it took a 2/3rd majority to break a Senate filibuster

thanks.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #515 on: May 18, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »

The House votes Gun Control Act of 1969 256-179.  Then the Senate votes on in a few days later 63-34.  It passes and President Humphrey signs it into law on March 2nd, 1969.

President Humphrey states he wants most troops out of Vietnam by July 1970.  "Americans, I propose that our involvement in Vietnam will end next July."

Then the House starts to debate the Coal Act.  The House votes 259-176.  The Senate votes 61-38 in favor.  President Humphrey signs it into law March 26th, 1969.

Then in July 1969:

The Moon Landing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMINSD7MmT4
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #516 on: May 21, 2009, 02:55:48 PM »

On September 28, 1969 the Social Democrats and Free Democrats of Germany form a common government.

Germany

In late October President Humphrey announces that 45,000 troops from Vietnam will return home by December.  "Americans our plan to end the war is working. We've already had 30,000 troops leave over the past few months.  Let's continue our success and officially meet our goal of ending our presence in Vietnam by July of next year.  Thank you."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #517 on: May 22, 2009, 04:03:22 PM »

In January 1970 President Humphrey's approval rating is 58%.

The House and Senate bring up the National Environmental Policy Act of 1970.  The House votes 261-174 in mid January.  A week later the Senate debates it and votes 65-35.  President Humphrey signs it into law on February 3, 1970.

Over the next month the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act is passed by both Houses and signed by Humphrey on April 1st.  This bans cigarette advertising on television.

More than a week later the Beatles break up.

the Beatles
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #518 on: May 22, 2009, 08:24:18 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2009, 05:54:17 PM by TommyC1776 »

BREAKING NEWS: U.S. troops end their involvement in Vietnam.
a paper proclaiming "The War Ends"

President Humphrey states "We did it.  We made our goal.  Your sons will be home and safe.  This is the greatest day for the United States and for all of you listening today."

Humphrey's approval rating is 63% by August 1970.  The Democrats look like they could pick up more seats in the fall.   The President campaigns hard for the Democrats.  He hopes the Democrats can pick up 5 or 6 seats.

Congressional Results, 1970:
House: 291 Dems, 144 Reps
Senate: 67 Dems, 33 Reps

The Democrats now have a veto proof in both Houses while they have filibuster proof in the Senate.

President Humphrey states "Now we don't have to worry about Republicans filibustering in the Senate.  We also can get more legislation done.  Let's move forward and continue moving forward in America.  Thank you."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #519 on: May 25, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »

On January 12, 1971 "All in the Family" premieres on TV:

Apollo 14 lands launches its mission to the moon.

Apollo 14

Humphrey states "This is another great day.  We've been successful in going to the moon 3 times so far."
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #520 on: May 25, 2009, 05:37:07 PM »

President Humphrey states "We did it.  We made our goal.  Your sons will be home and safe.  This is the greatest day for the United States and for all of you listening today."

Humphrey's approval rating is 63% by August 1970.  The Democrats look like they could pick up more seats in the fall.   The President campaigns hard for the Democrats.  He hopes the Democrats can pick up 5 or 6 seats.

House: 67 Dems, 33 Reps
Senate: 291 Dems, 145 Reps

The Democrats now have a veto proof in both Houses while they have filibuster proof in the Senate.

President Humphrey states "Now we don't have to worry about Republicans filibustering in the Senate.  We also can get more legislation done.  Let's move forward and continue moving forward in America.  Thank you."

I think you got it backwards.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #521 on: May 25, 2009, 05:53:29 PM »

House: 67 Dems, 33 Reps
Senate: 291 Dems, 145 Reps

I think you got it backwards.

Thanks.  I will fix it.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #522 on: May 25, 2009, 10:14:32 PM »

At the beginning of March 1971 the Weatherman group place a bomb in the mens room at the Capitol.

By mid July the 26th Amendment is signed into law by President Humphrey.  The Amendment lowers the voting age to 18.

A few days later some astronauts become the first people to ride in a moon rover vehicle.

TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #523 on: May 25, 2009, 10:22:15 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2009, 10:25:08 PM by TommyC1776 »

1972 Potential Republicans:
Fmr VP Barry Goldwater
Rep. Pete McCloskey
Gov. Nelson Rockefeller
Sen. Bob Dole

Poll:
Goldwater 41%
Rockefeller 33%
Dole 18%
McCloskey 1%
Undecided 5%
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #524 on: May 26, 2009, 07:13:44 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2009, 07:15:24 PM by TommyC1776 »

As 1972 approaches President Humphrey doesn't have any opponents in the Democratic primaries.

However all 4 names, mentioned above in post, are running for the Republican nod.

Polling Against Humphrey:

Poll 1:
Humphrey 52%
Goldwater 39%
Undecided 9%

Poll 2:
Humphrey 50%
Rockefeller 44%
Undecided 6%

Poll 3:
Humphrey 54%
Dole 40%
Undecided 6%

Poll 4:
Humphrey 63%
McCloskey 27%
Undecided 10%

Out of all 4 Republicans it would seem Rockefeller had the best chance against Humphrey.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies