Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 07:34:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 39
Author Topic: Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!  (Read 163405 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2008, 09:05:46 PM »
« edited: October 01, 2008, 09:08:23 PM by TommyC1776 »

House: 249 Reps, 179 Dems, 7 Progs.
Senate: 56 Reps, 37 Dems, 3 Progs.

The Republicans gained seats in both Houses of Congress.

Smith conceded the election "My supporters, this is a disappointment to me that I lost but lets not give up hope for next time.  Now lets go forward and do whatever we can to help President-elect Hoover.  We should be Americans before we're Democrats and Republicans."

Speaker of the House: Nicholas Longworth
House Majority Leader: John Q. Tilson
House Minority Leader: John W. Davis

Senate Majority Leader: Charles Curtis
Senate Democratic Leader: James Cox
Senate Progressive Leader: George Norris.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2008, 09:20:32 PM »

At the beginning of January the US and Canada agree to preserve Niagra Falls.

Then about a week before Ford left office, the Grand Teton National Park is created by Congress.

On March 4, 1929 Secretary Herbert Hoover is inaugurated President and Vice President Charles Hughes is re-inaugurated as Vice President.

Hoover states "Let's go forward and continue the greatness of the previous administration.  I plan to do great things in the next 4 years.  I plan to work with Congress to pass bills that are good for the country.  Thanks and God Bless."

The House starts debate on the Agriculture Marketing Act of 1929.  The vote in the House will be on April 3rd.

President Hoover urges Congress to pass this bill.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2008, 09:30:33 PM »

The House votes 260-174.  Now the Senate will take up the issue.

Senate Majority Leader Charles Curtis says the vote will take place on April 15th.

The Senate ends up voting 57-34.  President Hoover signs it into law the next day.

A month later the House debates a bill about proportioning the districts of the House.  The Reapportionment Act of 1929.

The House votes 269-145.  It passes the House.  The Senate votes 61-35.  It passes the Senate.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2008, 09:46:58 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2008, 09:50:04 PM by TommyC1776 »

On October 29, 1929 the Stock Market Crashed.

President Hoover addresses the nation on radio "America, we're at a tough time now.  We need to come together.  Let's figure out what went wrong."

The next day Democrats and Progressives accused Republicans of doing "nothing" to prevent it.

Senator James Cox (Dem Leader) stated "We must ask why the President didnt do anything to prevent this from happening.  Lets hope Democrats win more seats next year and show the President we mean business."

Senator George Norris (P-NE) stated "I think that we need to act fast.  This President is a hands off man.  He hasnt really helped us at all so far and he made no real promises during the campaign."

Senator Burton K. Wheeler (P-MT) said "What Senator Norris said is true.  We can't let this Government stay in power much longer."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2008, 08:33:44 AM »

By the beginning of 1930 the econmy was really going downhill.  President Hoover's approval rating went from 58% to 43% now. (I know they didnt really have it back then).

Meanwhile, Democrats were getting ready to win more seats in the midterm elections.  Progressives hope to win more seats too.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #180 on: October 04, 2008, 10:45:33 AM »

As 1930 began the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act was being discussed in the House which would raise the tax on imported goods.

The House debated it for a few weeks and it passed 261-170.  Then the Senate debated it for awhile.  It passed the Senate 60-35.

President Hoover signed it into law on March 1st, 1930.

The Democrats felt that they can gain more seats in the House and Senate.  Progressive Senator George Norris is trying to get more Progressives in the House and Senate.  He said "Why vote for either of the 2 other parties?  Support Progressives.  They will stand up for the little people.  Just think what a difference this will be.  Thanks."

Senators George Norris, Hiram Johnson and Burton K. Wheeler are campaigning hard for Progressives this fall.  Norris is up for re-election and he hopes to win and win big.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2008, 12:56:41 AM »

The economy keeps going downhill.  Everyone is getting hit harder and harder.

Democrat Senate Leader James Cox said "We must help the people who are suffering.  Their having the hardest time right now."  (Cox is also hinting at a 1932 run for President).

Former President Ford states "Our President sure is having a tough time right now.  I hope you will all keep good faith with him as he is trying to do whatever he can."

Senator George Norris states "How can a President just sit by, while homeowners are losing their homes?  People are starving out there as stores are closing.  Something needs to be done.  I have heard either party talk about it at all.  Vote Progressive in 1930."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2008, 01:09:12 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2008, 10:15:30 AM by TommyC1776 »

House results: 220 Reps, 207 Dems, 8 Progs.
Senate results: 49 Reps, 44 Dems, 3 Progs.

The Republicans lost seats in both Houses but still have control.

Leadership in the House:
Speaker: Bertand Snell
Majority Leader: Simon D. Fess
Democratic Leader: John N. Garner

Leadership in the Senate:
Majority Leader (Republican): Charles Curtis
Democratic Leader: James Cox
Progressive Leader: George Norris

Democrats were happy with the results, as they gained around 25 seats in the House.

John W Davis gives his fairwell speech as Democratic leader in the House "I will miss you all.  I have learned alot but now I must retire and go back to my family."

1931 will be here soon.  Get excited.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2008, 12:42:42 PM »

As the 72nd Congress started on March 4, 1931 they were discussing ways to help out the people during this depression.

Over the next few months the Reconstruction Finance Corporation Act was brought up.

Congress debated it for awhile.   Senator George Norris stated "This is the best act that has been brought up in Congress in a long time.  I never thought, as long as I was in the Senate, I would see anything like this come up."

The House passed the bill 256-176.  Then it went to the Senate.  The Senate passed it 57-36.  The next day the President signed it into law.

Over the next few months candidates started declaring their candidacies for President.  On August 4th, 1931 Former IL Governor Frank Lowden challenges Herbert Hoover for the GOP nod.  A few weeks later Former Senator Joseph France jumped in the race for the GOP.

Possible Democrats:
James Cox
Al Smith
Franklin Roosevelt
John N. Garner

Possible Republicans:
Herbert Hoover
Frank Lowden
Joseph France

Possible Progressives:
George Norris
Burton K Wheeler.

Towards the end of the year Vice President Charles Hughes says he will not run again as VP as he wants to retire.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #184 on: October 05, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »

France challenged Hoover to debate him.  President Hoover didn't know what to do at this point.  His advisers said that either way he could lose.

France stated "I can't believe this President is stalling on whether or not to debate me.  It's outrageous.  I will let this be known.  Hopefully this shows Americans how much of a leader our President is."

When Hoover heard this he said "Senator France I will challenge you to one debate at the end of January."

The debate is scheduled for January 21st, 1932.  The moderator will be newsman Robert Trout.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #185 on: October 05, 2008, 01:45:42 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2008, 01:50:07 PM by TommyC1776 »

Here's a speech Hoover gives during the campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhqa739ZVxo
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #186 on: October 05, 2008, 02:36:04 PM »

Republican Primary Debate: January 21st, 1932

Trout: Hello all and thank you for tuning in to this debate between 2 candidates running for the Republican Presidential nomination in 1932.  We have with us here tonight, President Herbert Hoover and Former Maryland Senator Joseph France.  Thank you both for showing up.  Now, first question, what's your plan to help the economy?  Mr. President go first.

Hoover: First I want to thank CBS for putting on this debate.  Now in answer to your question, we got a bill passed through Congress that would aid families in America.  I am proud that we did something.

Trout: Senator France go ahead.

France: I want to thank CBS as well.  I am very glad to be here debating the President on important issues of our day.  Now, this President hasn't done much for the small people here in America.  They need the most help and he hasn't given them a chance.  Look at the economy right now.  Is it better than before he came to office?  No it's not.

Trout: Alright. Next question.  What will either of your duties be on March 4th of next year to do?  Senator France.

France: My first thing that I would do is go across the country to see how I could help out people during this tough time.  That's the difference between the President and I.  He wouldn't think about doing something like that.

Trout: Mr. President.  You're turn.

Hoover: If I am re-elected i woud continue my work that I am doing right now.  I would help everyone throughout the US as well.  The Senator's got me all wrong.

France: Can I say something?

Trout: Go ahead Senator.

France: Thanks.  I don't have you all wrong Mr. President.  You're the reason we're in the mess that we're in right now.  You haven't lifted too many of your fingers to help.

Hoover: Wow....wait a minute here.  I don't think a President has alot of power as far as handouts.  But we have had some great work in the past 2 Congresses.  As I stated before we passed the Reconstruction Finance Act as well as the Hawley-Smoot Act.  These were great acheivements.

Trout: Next I'd like you to talk about your life so far and how it affects the way you are today.  Mr. President go ahead.

Hoover: Well some people don't know this but I lost both of my parents by the age of 10.  I had to live with my Aunt and Uncle.  Now don't tell me I don't know enough about hard times because I do.  I understand what you're going through.

France: Well I want to say that I went to a common school throughout my childhood.  I didn't even go to a high class college either.

Trout: Last question, what is your opinion of Prohibition?  Senator France go ahead.

France: I think it should be repealed.  It's just something we need to do at this point. I tend to disagree with the President on this but what else is new?

Hoover: I think we need to keep it in place just because drinking can cause lots and lots of problems.  We just don't need to deal with this issue at this time.

Trout: Alright, we will have closing statements please.  Senator France go first.

France: Again, thank you CBS for hosting this debate.  I want to make sure the voters in the primaries out there know they have a choice between a man who wants to do nothing compared with a man who will help you in this time of need.  I am that man who will be able to help you.  Thanks again.  Vote France for President.

Hoover: Everyone, lets just stay calm in this time of crisis.  One thing I urge you all to do is cut back on what you buy and everything will be fine.  That's one way to help.  Another way is to lower the taxes and enforce the Reconstruction Financial Act.  I want to thank CBS again for this debate and thank you all for listening.  I also want to thank Senator France for showing up.  Thanks again.

Trout: Alright, thats it.  I want to thank all of you who listened tonight to the debate.  I also want to thank the candidates for showing up as well.  That's it.  I'm Robert Trout from CBS.  Goodnight.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #187 on: October 05, 2008, 10:37:53 PM »

The day after the debate Americans thought that Senator France had an edge over the President.

In fact Senator France said himself "Americans I thought I did alot better than the President in the debate and I know alot of you thought so too.  Now all you need to do is vote for me in the primaries and we will be safe."

Even Vice President Hughes said "The President didnt do as well as I had hoped."

President Hoover is considering asking for another debate with both of his opponents (Lowden and France).

France says "It's fine with me.  It will just show again how out of touch he is with you."

Coming Up: the primaries.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #188 on: October 06, 2008, 05:25:09 PM »

Republican candidates: Who's Your Choice?
Hoover 45%
France 33%
Lowden 10%
Undecided 12%.

Also, France says he thinks he can win New Hampshire.  Frank Lowden states he will drop out if he doesnt have a good showing in the primary.  France says after NH he would like another debate with Hoover as well as Lowden.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2008, 03:32:16 PM »

New Hampshire: March 8th

Democrats: 19 delegates
Smith 40%-8 delegates
Roosevelt 32%-6 delegates
Cox 25%-5 delegates
Garner 3%

Republicans: 16 delegates
France 46%-7 delegates
Hoover 43%-7 delegates
Lowden 11%-2 delegates.

France told supporters "We did it.  We won New Hampshire.  Now all we need to do is show Hoover we're not going to step aside.  Let's go on from here.  Thank you all and God Bless you."

Progressives: 10 delegates.
Norris 57%-6 delegates
Wheeler 43%-4 delegates.

The next primary is North Dakota on March 15th.  Former Senator France is calling the President for another primary debate.  "I want another debate because the people need to hear from all 3 candidates running for the Republican nomination and show our differences." says France.

CBS decides to host another debate with Hoover, Smith and Lowden on March 22nd a day before the Georgia primary (where France is the only candidate on the ballot, though there will most likely be a Hoover write-in).
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2008, 04:53:27 PM »

North Dakota: March 15th

Democrats: 23 delegates
Smith 48%-11 delegates
Roosevelt 34%-8 delegates
Cox 15%-4 delegates.
Garner 3%

John Nance Garner drops out.  He endorses Roosevelt.

Republicans: 21 delegates
Hoover 51%-11 delegates
France 44%-10 delegates.
Lowden 5%

Frank Lowden drops out of the race and endorses Fmr. Senator France.

Progressives: 15 delegates.
Norris 53%-8 delegates
Wheeler 47%-7 delegates

Total delegates (so far)Sad

Democratic delegates:
Smith-19 delegates
Roosevelt-14 delegates
Cox-9 delegates.

Republican delegates:
France-19 delegates (including delegates Lowden had).
Hoover-18 delegates.

Progressives delegates:
Norris-14 delegates
Wheeler-11 delegates.

Get ready for the 2nd Hoover-France debate on March 22nd.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2008, 09:41:40 PM »

NY Governor Roosevelt states he would like to debate Cox and Smith in one primary debate.

Senator Cox and Former Gov. Smith agree to one debate with Roosevelt on April 6th.

Now onto the Republican debate.

Republican debate: March 22nd, 1932

Moderator: Robert Trout
People Who Attend: President Hoover and Senator France.

Trout: Hello and welcome to the 2nd GOP Presidential primary debate.  We have with us tonight President Hoover and Former Senator France.  Now, first question, Senator France what's your first plan to do, if elected President, to help solve this economic crisis?

France: Well, Rob I first want to thank you and CBS for hosting this debate.  I also want to thank the President for attending this debate.  First thing I would do is go across the country to see what help I can give everyone that's affected.  Helping the middle class or the poor here is my first priority.  That's something we haven't seen with this President.

Trout: Mr. President.

Hoover: I would like to thank CBS as well as you Rob for putting on this debate.  Now, as I have said before in the last debate, my administration has had some good accomplishments.  We are taxing the imports that come here.  We also are aiding people with the Reconstruction Finance Act.  That's been a great thing in my administration.

Trout: Thank you.  Now, second question, how can either of you work with the Democrats to pass legislation during this time with your differences?  Mr. President.

Hoover: I think working in a bipartisan matter is a great idea.  Look at some of the bills that have passed Congress in my term so far.  Most of them that have passed have had bipartisan support.  That's true work from a bipartisan President.

France: Now, I don't think the President has worked well with the other party at all.  He hasn't asked Republicans and Democrats to work together on most issues.  I would do that as President.  We need bipartisan support in Washington.

Trout: Next I would like you to discuss foreign affairs.  The depression is starting to go all across the world.  How would you help the world, if at all?  Senator France.

France: In some ways we do need to help the world.  When I was in Congress I helped pass an act that helped aided Britain in the First World War.  Helping others is part of my campaign this year.  What has this President done as far as helping other countries?  Nothing.

Trout: Ok.  Mr. President.

Hoover: Aiding other countries is alright but we do need to help Americans as well.  I will say that in my next term I will ask Congress to aid other Congress as well but work more here.

Trout:Alright now I would like to ask you both to give closing statements.  Go ahead Mr. President.

Hoover: Well, again I want to thank you as well as CBS for putting on this debate.  I was glad to be here and join Senator France.  One thing I want you to do is remember what's happened in Congress.  We have passed an aid act through Congress.  We do need to do more but we can't raise the taxes in bad economic times.  Thanks again.  God Bless.

Trout: Senator France.

France: Alright.  Well Americans, you have a real choice in the primaries.  A choice between a man who won't do anything and a man who will do just about everything.  I can bring more change than the current President.  America can do better.  Elect me as the Republican nominee.  Thanks again Rob and CBS for hosting this debate.  Also thanks Mr. President for debating me tonight.  It's been great.  God Bless.

Trout: Alright everyone that's it.  Have a great night.  Bye.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2008, 11:41:46 PM »

Georgia: March 23rd

Democrats: 39 delegates.
Roosevelt 50%-20 delegates
Smith 37%-14 delegates
Cox 13%-5 delegates.

Republicans: 14 delegates.
France 59%-8 delegates
Hoover 41%-6 delegates.

Progressives: 11 delegates.
Norris 60%-7 delegates
Wheeler 40%-4 delegates.

Burton Wheeler drops out and endorses Norris.  "Senator Norris is a great person.  He will make a great President.  Let's elect Norris the next President."

On the Democratic side, Roosevelt is ahead of Smith by 1 delegate.  Senator James Cox (D-OH) states he will win the Democratic nomination in 1932 because he feels people's pain.  Cox is spending alot of time in Wisconsin as he hopes to win there or come in a close second.

Cox tells Americans "Look I don't think Governor Smith or Roosevelt understand your problems.  That's why a vote for me is the best thing you can do on April 5th in Wisconsin.  Let's show them both that I am a serious candidate."

On the Republican side, President Hoover is behind in delegates to Senator France.  France says "America, I can and will hopefully be the Republican nominee in 1932.  I think this President hasn't been good to the little people out there.  He just doesn't understand the little man

Senator France has got alot of attention because of the 2 debates he had with the President.  He says he wouldn't mind more debates but decides that he can't make the President look any worse.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »

Now that Senator Norris is the presumptive Progressive nominee in 1932 he starts going on the attack.  "We can't trust the Republicans or Democrats to run this country.  Elect me and America will be better."

Wisconsin: April 5th

Democrats: 36 delegates
Cox 38%-14 delegates
Roosevelt 34%-12 delegates
Smith 28%-10 delegates.

Cox tells supporters "We did it.  We won Wisconsin and showed both Smith and Roosevelt that there is another choice in the primaries."

Republicans: 31 delegates
Hoover 53%-16 delegates
France 47%-15 delegates.

Total delegates so far:

Democrats:
Roosevelt-46 delegates
Smith-43 delegates
Cox-23 delegates.

Republicans:
France-42 delegates
Hoover-42 delegates.

The Republicans are tied in delegates.  France tells Americans "We need to make sure Hoover isnt the nominee in 1932.  The Republicans are doomed if Hoover is the nominee.  Vote France. Thanks.  God Bless."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #194 on: October 14, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »

Democratic Primary Debate: April 6th, 1932.

Moderator: Robert Trout

Trout: Hello Americans and welcome to the only scheduled Democratic primary debate that will happen this year.  Tonight we have with us NY Governor Franklin Roosevelt, Former NY Governor Al Smith and Senator James Cox.   First question is what is your plan to do if you win the election?  Go ahead Governor Roosevelt.

Roosevelt: Thanks Rob for hosting this debate.  Now, in answer to your question, we need to aid Americans.  They are hurting at this point.  Americans don't want Republican rules anymore.

Trout: Governor Smith.

Smith: I also want to thank Rob for hosting this debate.  As far as what I would do is help Americans during this time but I wouldn't give them alot of help.  Americans do need to do some things on their own but the Government can help out a little.  As Governor Roosevelt said the Republicans can't be trusted anymore.

Trout: Senator Cox.

Cox: Thanks to you Rob for the debate.  I also want to thank both Governors for debating me on the issues.  My first duty would be to go out from town to town to see people's pain.  I understand that the Hoover administration hasn't done much.  President Hoover is the worst President in a long time.

Trout: Alright, second question, would you repeal Prohibition as President?  Go ahead Governor Smith.

Smith: Yes, I would repeal Prohibition as President.  I have had that position for a long time.  I even stood up against Prohibtion in the mid to late 1920's before any of my opponents even had an opinion on it.

Roosevelt: Repealing Prohibition is a must be dealt with issue.  We must repeal it.  The reason is because it's an issue that shouldn't be decided by the Government.  As Governor I tried to get it repealed in New York but it failed so what Governor Smith said is definately wrong.

Cox: This is an issue that all 3 of us agree on.  We do need to repeal Prohibition.  Now as far as Governor Smith's attack I have always been for repealing it.  Remember that.

Trout: Now tell me something about yourself so the American people can get to know you more.  Go ahead Senator Cox.

Cox: Well as far as I go I was born in Butler Co., Ohio where I grew up.  I then went on to become a teacher.  As a teacher I learned more and more about the little guy.  That's why I will make a better nominee and President than the other 2 men up here.

Roosevelt: Throughout my life I have gained alot.  As I grew up I dealt with parents that were far apart in age.  I will say I did grow up in a wealthy family but I did see the poor on the streets and I really care for the poor.  Their the people that really need help.

Smith: As you all may remember I was the 1928 Democratic nominee.  I debated Hoover then and I will be glad to run against him this year too.  I also want to say that growing up in my teenage years without my dad was hard but the family made it through.  He had died when I was 13.

Trout: The last thing, please give your closing statements.  Go ahead Senator Cox.

Cox: I just want to thank you again Rob as well as CBS for putting on this debate.  Remember America we need to help people struggling through the hard times.  Helping Americans has been my commitment throughout my political life.

Smith: Yes, thanks Rob and CBS for hosting this debate.  It's been great being here with both of my opponents in the primaries.  Now, we're in tough times and the government should help a little but not too much.  I will be the only Democratic candidate able to work across the aisle with Republicans.

Roosevelt: I too want to thank you for this debate.  I want you to remember that I will be there to help you struggling in this economy.  I will be the people's candidate.  Now, let me go on and become the Democratic nominee.

Trout: Thanks to all 3 candidates for showing up.  I appreciate you coming.  I'm Robert Trout reporting from CBS.  Thanks.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #195 on: October 15, 2008, 11:46:07 AM »

Democrats: Who won the debate?
Roosevelt 45%
Cox 30%
Smith 25%.

Most Democrats thought Roosevelt won the debate.  Roosevelt tells supporters "We did it.  Alot of people are paying more attention to us now.  We won the debate last night.  We showed Americans I'm the better candidate as compared to Governor Smith or Senator Cox."

He also tells supporters "If I am the nominee we will win."

Meanwhile, Senator George Norris is campaigning hard for the Presidency.  He tells Americans "Look what the Democrats as well as Republicans have done to this country.  Can we really have any more of this? Vote for me and you'll get real change."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #196 on: October 15, 2008, 12:06:15 PM »

Congress was working on an act which would make employees free to form unions without their employers interfering which Representative Fiorello LaGuardia asked to be brought up.

The House voted on this 266-163 on April 9th.  It is scheduled to be sent to the Senate in a week or so.  Senator George Norris is expected to work with Democrats and Republicans on passing this bill which he has wanted for awhile now.

Next more primaries to come.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #197 on: October 17, 2008, 12:54:45 PM »

Nebraska: April 12th

Democrats: 21 delegates
Roosevelt 47%-10 delegates
Smith 42%-9 delegates
Cox 11%-2 delegates

Republicans: 20 delegates
Hoover 53%-11 delegates
France 47%-9 delegates

Senator France tells his supporters "This campaign isn't over yet."

Illinois: April 13th

Democrats: 59 delegates
Smith 43%-25 delegates
Roosevelt 42%-25 delegates
Cox 15%-9 delegates.

Republicans: 56 delegates
Hoover 51%-29 delegates
France 49%-27 delegates

Hoover tells supporters "We're doing it.  We're beating Senator France."

Senator France tells supporters "I will need your help in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.  We can and we will win."

On April 14th Senator Cox drops out of the race for the Democratic nomination and endorses Roosevelt.  He says "Today I am dropping out of the race.  I had hoped the nominee would've been me but it doesn't look that way.  So today I will endorse Governor Roosevelt for the nomination."
Roosevelt thanks Cox for his endorsement.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #198 on: October 23, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »

On April 16th the new Act about Unions came up in the Senate.  The Senate debates the bill and passes it 56-38.  THe next day LaGuardia-Norris Act of 1932 is signed by the President.

Meanwhile, back on the campaign trail, Senator France states "I will win Massachusetts on April 26th.  As far as Pennsylvania goes, we'll have to see." 

He campaigns hard in both states.  He hopes to have a great turnout in both states.

President Hoover states "Senator France isn't going to win this nomination.  I will win it for you as well as the Republican Party.  Let's go on to win."  To this he gets screams from the crowd.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2008, 10:57:35 PM »

Senator France is telling supporters in Massachusetts "I am the only true candidate in these primaries.  We can't continue the policies of President Herbert Hoover.  Elect me and we will get more accomplished."

Right before the primaries, former President Ford endorses President Hoover.  "President Hoover is the best man to represent the Republican Party in 1932."

Senator France told supporters "I am disapointed that the former President didnt endorse the real Republican candidate this year-me."

Massachusetts and PA vote in a few days.

poll for MA primary: (Republican)
France 49%
Hoover 43%
Undecided 8%.

poll for PA primary: (Republican)
Hoover 52%
France 45%
Undecided 3%.

Senator France is very happy with these numbers.  "I am really gaining strength.  President Hoover better watch out because this time an incumbent President may lose his renomination."

The day before the primaries former First Lady Edith Roosevelt endorses Senator France for the Republican nomination.  "Senator France is a great leader and he can lead our country well just like Theodore did."  said Edith Roosevelt.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies