mike easley=the roy barnes of 2004?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:01:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  mike easley=the roy barnes of 2004?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: mike easley=the roy barnes of 2004?  (Read 3413 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2004, 08:32:22 PM »

the incumbent that cant be beat?  the shining star of southern democrats?  the incumbent that will coast to reeelcection while setting his sights on national office?

well, we all know how it turned out for barnes.  and i sense a little arrogance and complacency in the easley camp.

ballantine is going to be a tough challenger.  the easley people better wake up.  
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 12:34:38 AM »

Barnes also had the contentious Confederate flag issue to derail him.  Absent something similar, I can't see Easley being tripped up by surprise.  I can't think of any NC issue taht would have similar impact.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 06:59:35 AM »

Maybe... it'll be closer than Easley would have liked (the GOP isn't running an inept candidate this time round), but what happend in GA last election was just *weird*... a GOP perfect storm really...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 10:03:57 PM »

if ballantine wasnt so underfunded, hed be a serious competitor.

easley must campaign.  he cant rely on just tv ads this time.  ballantine is out-hustling him on the campaign trail and making inroads with voters (particularly in the east)

easley isnt as popular as the media claims.  his tax increases were very unpopular.  his popularity has rebounded since the dark day of 01/02,  but he has lukewarm support.  jim hunt was a popular governor. and...well... mike easley is no jim hunt.

i voted for easley in 2000.  ive decided to vote for ballantine this time around.  im confident ballantine has the ability to get more former easley voters like myself.
snelson77

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 10:32:46 PM »

I've been watching the TV ads start to pick up but I think Ballentine was slowed by the Republican runoff against *yawn* Richard Vinroot...he's behind the ball and it's all uphill against Easley. I'll concede that it will be a close election, but I find it hard to believe that Ballentine has enough to pull it out...
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 11:17:27 AM »

I've been watching the TV ads start to pick up but I think Ballentine was slowed by the Republican runoff against *yawn* Richard Vinroot...he's behind the ball and it's all uphill against Easley. I'll concede that it will be a close election, but I find it hard to believe that Ballentine has enough to pull it out...

Actually, there was no runoff against Vinroot, Vinroot dropped out to allow Ballantine to save money to focus on Easley.

The reason for the delay, in my opinion, was to save money and decide on teh focus of the campaign.  Smart move to make sure you know what direction you are going to go before starting.
hoshie
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 04:17:05 AM »

Easley has started to run ads blasting Ballentine on his economic record. I have seen the ads here in Havelock about once or twice. Personally I don't know who I will vote for. I've been in and out Wilmington for a while now and have come to respect Ballentine a lot. However I find the new highway usage tax to be outragous.

Time will tell who I decide to pull the lever for.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 07:19:24 AM »

Easley looks like he'll be fine he's polling 54%, while Ballantine only at 39%... at the same time the senate contest is still leaning to the Democrats with Bowles polling at 50% to Burr's 40%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies