Hillary booed at WV speech (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:27:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Hillary booed at WV speech (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary booed at WV speech  (Read 15298 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« on: May 08, 2008, 05:19:22 PM »

White people have voted for white candidates. They rarely get the opportunity to do otherwise, and unlike black voters, they have not established a record of crossing the racial barrier and voting for someone of another race.

Was Deval Patrick elected only by blacks?  J.C. Watts?  Doug Wilder? 

To not understand that the dynamics of representation are different for majority and minority communities is something to be worked on.

To not understand that black people are just as capable of being racist, where given the opportunity, as whites, is something to be worked on.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:22:58 PM »

Congratulations, you identified examples that apply to approximately 4% of white American voters and are noteworthy for their exceptionality. Not only that, but you did so without reference to the very many African-American candidates who have run with white electorates--and lost.

Blacks are only 12% of the population you know.  I could have named plenty of white candidates who ran in African-American electorates and lost too.

Do you seriously want to argue that most white voters are just fine voting for black candidates regardless of race? Have you heard of the Bradley effect?

There are plenty of white voters who are anxious TO vote for a black candidate.

You do know that the Bradley effect term is almost 30 years old, right?

Again, a minority voting for a minority candidate in a winner-takes-all system, when they have consistently voted for members of the majority in other elections, is not racism.

If they are preferencing a candidate because of their own prejudice towards that race, then it is most definately racially prejudiced behavior.  This is simple common sense here.

I live in a majority-black county.  Would it not be racist for me to vote for a white candidate just because they were white?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:12:11 PM »

No it would not.  For example, if I were South African, I'dve voted against the ANC in the last election...the opposition leader happening to be white...not for racial reasons, but because Thabo Mbeki's a piss-poor leader.

ASDF is saying that it is okay for blacks to vote for racist reasons if they live in a majority white electorate.  I am asking if it is okay for a white to vote for racist reasons if they live in a majority black electorate.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »

Obviously you're scarred by whatever politics goes on in your part of the country

Thanks for the lecture, Professor Obama.  I guess that's what people like me that cling to guns and religion do I guess.

Given that you do so, you've given away the game. You're saying that Democratic voters for Barack Obama are as racist as... you. Meanwhile, you've identified reasons why you'd support a white candidate that have nothing to do with racism.

Excuse me?  I was giving a hypothetical to show how ridiculous your argument is.  I've voted for numerous black candidates over white ones because I vote for people who share my principles.  A black person voting for another black person because they are black is just as stupid as a white person voting for another white person because they are white.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:14:26 PM »

Excuse me?  I was giving a hypothetical to show how ridiculous your argument is.  I've voted for numerous black candidates over white ones because I vote for people who share my principles.

And black voters have voted for numerous white candidates who share their principles, and are choosing to vote for a black candidate who shares their principles. In fact, the most common event has been for black voters to vote for a white candidate who doesn't share their principles, because that was the best that's on offer.

They are choosing the black candidate that shares their principles over the white candidate that shares their principles at about a 90% clip.  Having a prejudice based on race is racial prejudice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies