Hillary booed at WV speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:35:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Hillary booed at WV speech
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Hillary booed at WV speech  (Read 15240 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2008, 12:24:17 PM »

I'd say the bigger hacks are the ones calling Hillary supporters racist if they dare support McCain, then trumpet that Obama gets 95% margins of black voters.  The Voting Rights Act works both ways.

But I'm not reading that here....or did I miss it?

Are you serious?  There have literally been 4 people on this board, one in this thread who said that people who voted for Clinton and are now voting for McCain are "Racist" or "Bitter" towards black people.

Can you explain to me why a liberal who voted for Clinton and believes in everything she says would vote for Mccain? What policies do these two share any resemblance on, which is also not shared by Obama. Obama and Clinton have the same damn policies which is the reason why we had the most stupid primaries ever. No issues were discussed, just personalities. I for one would vote for Clinton in a heartbeat if she were the chosen nominee, so they why wont Clinton supporters vote for Obama?  All I was saying was that a minority of people will vote for Mccain just to vote against the black guy. If you disagree with me there you need to go back and reread your US history book.

Why explain, it's obvious that I'm racist because I'm supporting McCain?  BTW - who says everyone that voted for Clinton is a liberal?  I consider myself moderate.  I typically vote Democrat because they have tended to be the more moderate party over the last few years.  I'll give you one big issue where Clinton looks closer to McCain - Taxes.  Obama has said in the past he would raise taxes on people making over $150,000 a year.  Clinton puts the number higher, anywhere from $200,000 to $250,000 or so.  For those of us that live in a high cost of living city that is a very important distinction.  If you truly support Obama, why would you make these outrageous claims?  The character of supporters can really impact a candidate's campaign.    All of the Obama supporters crying racism are already causing a backlash, see here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080416084947AAPtddu

Believe it or not, people don't like to be called racist and take such charges very seriously.  Maybe playing racial politics in the Democratic Primary will help you but this is going to be horrendous for your candidate in the Fall when you guys start calling people racist.

Ahh but I never called you racist, I am just trying to figure out where Clinton supporters are coming from. Now I am sorry if I offended you when I said blue collar workers were bitter towards blacks, but there certainly is a misunderstanding. Most of this occurs from the concept of white privilege. The poorer whites who support Clinton never had that privilege and rightfully get angry when they are told that. To them Obama is the symbol of that, a Black man taking away an opportunity from a white just because they are black. I understand that resentment as I am a Brahmin from India. Although the caste system was wrong, should Brahmin children not get the same opportunity today as lower caste kids? It is a similar situation here and a reason why I am against affirmative action. Now you said you disagree with Obama on taxes and it turns out we agree. My parents live in the bay area and to live comfortably here you have to have a family income in excess of 100k. Obama's taxes would affect my family and I hope he reconsiders it a bit. I think creating new higher tax categories out of people making millions makes more sense. Those making millions dont need all that money and they can sure as hell help their countrymen. I do feel bad for those who get caught in these tax margins though. I think creating more tax brackets is a possible solution to this problem. Now I do not know how you feel about foreign policy but that is the reason why I supported Obama from the start and the reason why I could not support Mccain. The Iraq war is one of the worst foreign policy decision ever made and it is not only hurting our image but also our economy. In the end it all comes down to that because a war is not worth fighting if we do not even have a country left to fight for.
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2008, 12:24:23 PM »

Meanwhile, in Bizarro World, where Hillary Clinton looks set to clinch the nomination over an ailing Barack Obama:

Believe it or not, people don't like to be called sexist and take such charges very seriously.  Maybe playing gender politics in the Democratic Primary will help you but this is going to be horrendous for your candidate in the Fall when you guys start calling people sexist.

If this was real, you'd have an excellent point.  But it's not.  Thanks.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2008, 12:29:07 PM »

Meanwhile, in Bizarro World, where Hillary Clinton looks set to clinch the nomination over an ailing Barack Obama:

Believe it or not, people don't like to be called sexist and take such charges very seriously.  Maybe playing gender politics in the Democratic Primary will help you but this is going to be horrendous for your candidate in the Fall when you guys start calling people sexist.

http://taylormarsh.com/

If you think it wouldn't be happening...
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »

I'd say the bigger hacks are the ones calling Hillary supporters racist if they dare support McCain, then trumpet that Obama gets 95% margins of black voters.  The Voting Rights Act works both ways.

Are you serious?  There have literally been 4 people on this board, one in this thread who said that people who voted for Clinton and are now voting for McCain are "Racist" or "Bitter" towards black people.

Can you explain to me why a liberal who voted for Clinton and believes in everything she says would vote for Mccain? What policies do these two share any resemblance on, which is also not shared by Obama. Obama and Clinton have the same damn policies which is the reason why we had the most stupid primaries ever. No issues were discussed, just personalities. I for one would vote for Clinton in a heartbeat if she were the chosen nominee, so they why wont Clinton supporters vote for Obama?  All I was saying was that a minority of people will vote for Mccain just to vote against the black guy. If you disagree with me there you need to go back and reread your US history book.

Why explain, it's obvious that I'm racist because I'm supporting McCain?  BTW - who says everyone that voted for Clinton is a liberal?  I consider myself moderate.  I typically vote Democrat because they have tended to be the more moderate party over the last few years.  I'll give you one big issue where Clinton looks closer to McCain - Taxes.  Obama has said in the past he would raise taxes on people making over $150,000 a year.  Clinton puts the number higher, anywhere from $200,000 to $250,000 or so.  For those of us that live in a high cost of living city that is a very important distinction.  If you truly support Obama, why would you make these outrageous claims?  The character of supporters can really impact a candidate's campaign.    All of the Obama supporters crying racism are already causing a backlash, see here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080416084947AAPtddu

Believe it or not, people don't like to be called racist and take such charges very seriously.  Maybe playing racial politics in the Democratic Primary will help you but this is going to be horrendous for your candidate in the Fall when you guys start calling people racist.

Ahh but I never called you racist, I am just trying to figure out where Clinton supporters are coming from. Now I am sorry if I offended you when I said blue collar workers were bitter towards blacks, but there certainly is a misunderstanding. Most of this occurs from the concept of white privilege. The poorer whites who support Clinton never had that privilege and rightfully get angry when they are told that. To them Obama is the symbol of that, a Black man taking away an opportunity from a white just because they are black. I understand that resentment as I am a Brahmin from India. Although the caste system was wrong, should Brahmin children not get the same opportunity today as lower caste kids? It is a similar situation here and a reason why I am against affirmative action. Now you said you disagree with Obama on taxes and it turns out we agree. My parents live in the bay area and to live comfortably here you have to have a family income in excess of 100k. Obama's taxes would affect my family and I hope he reconsiders it a bit. I think creating new higher tax categories out of people making millions makes more sense. Those making millions dont need all that money and they can sure as hell help their countrymen. I do feel bad for those who get caught in these tax margins though. I think creating more tax brackets is a possible solution to this problem. Now I do not know how you feel about foreign policy but that is the reason why I supported Obama from the start and the reason why I could not support Mccain. The Iraq war is one of the worst foreign policy decision ever made and it is not only hurting our image but also our economy. In the end it all comes down to that because a war is not worth fighting if we do not even have a country left to fight for.

Thanks for this thoughtful post.  To be honest, your comment wasn't particularly bad compared to many on some other threads.  I only cut and pasted it because it was more convenient than searching for the other ones.

The funny thing is that we probably agree nearly entirely on the issues.  For me I just look at it like this.  We're already in Iraq.  McCain won't have the political capital to do another war, his Iran comments notwithstanding.  He won't have the votes in Congress to push through uber-conservative Judges.   But Obama would have the votes in Congress to push through big tax hikes.  I am graduating from law school with $150,000 of debt.  Even though I have a job lined up that pays well over 6 figures, the thought of having such a huge debt is daunting, and I think about it every single day.  I can't afford to pay an extra $20,000 in taxes under the plan's Obama has floated out there.  So on a personal level, Hillary would have been perfect for me.  Good Judges, Good Tax Policy.  But when it comes down to choosing between Obama and McCain, even though I have a gut feeling to always vote Democrat, when I analyze what they'll do for me, McCain wins hands down.  Strategically it's the right move.  Besides, I sort of like it when Congress and the Executive Branch are split, neither party gets too extreme. That's a large part of why the Republicans screwed up so bad with their out of control spending in the first place.
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2008, 12:32:53 PM »

I'm not sure what that shows.  Most of that blog was devoted to criticizing the harassing messages they're receiving from Obama supporters.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2008, 12:33:43 PM »

I just enjoy pointing out other people's candid double standards, while poking fun at partisans at the same time.  You may continue.  Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2008, 12:35:03 PM »

I'm not sure what that shows.  Most of that blog was devoted to criticizing the harassing messages they're receiving from Obama supporters.

Read Taylor Marsh again. See the constant references to the media "keeping women down", and how terrible people were for not letting Clinton "be a woman". Taylor Marsh is already telling everyone that it's sexism!
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2008, 12:41:01 PM »

Read Taylor Marsh again. See the constant references to the media "keeping women down", and how terrible people were for not letting Clinton "be a woman". Taylor Marsh is already telling everyone that it's sexism!

Well I don't agree with that at all.  I think the media (particularly MSNBC) has had a huge bias for Obama, but I don't think it's because Clinton was a woman.  They just wanted Obama for whatever reason.  So again, I don't agree with her if that's what she's saying. 

My point was more about the followers though.  I have talked to a lot of partisan Hillary supporters, especially when I liked Obama more, and none of them called me a sexist for not supporting Hillary.  I've now talked to a lot of partisan Obama supporters, now that I like Hillary more.  A huge percentage of the Obama people I've talked to have thrown out the race card, I'd say at least 30%.  If this is what they are telling me in blog comments and to my face, I can only imagine what they say to each other in private.   It's a huge turn off.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »

But look, I just gave you a Clinton supporter, and a very vocal one, who calls those who dislike Clinton sexists. You may not have experienced it because you supported her, but I certainly have. I also don't appreciate be called naive, having "white guilt", or any of the other slurs commonly thrown by Clinton backers. Ultimately, though, it's irrelevant to the candidates themselves.

I don't like Clinton for a very different reason, because I think she is in attitude and style the most similar to Bush--unwilling to consider any opinions but her own--and I think that's dangerous.
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »

But look, I just gave you a Clinton supporter, and a very vocal one, who calls those who dislike Clinton sexists. You may not have experienced it because you supported her, but I certainly have. I also don't appreciate be called naive, having "white guilt", or any of the other slurs commonly thrown by Clinton backers. Ultimately, though, it's irrelevant to the candidates themselves.

I don't like Clinton for a very different reason, because I think she is in attitude and style the most similar to Bush--unwilling to consider any opinions but her own--and I think that's dangerous.

I'll be the first to call her comments wrong.  Not many Obama supporters are standing up and calling out the people who are calling McCain backers racist.

Again, I supported Obama for about a month and a half, even as the primary was starting to get very heated.  I was never personally called a sexist by a lay supporter I talked to online or in person.  I have now supported Hillary for about 2 months and I've probably talked to about 40-50 Obama Supported (4 in the last day on this website) who have either called me personally a racist or EVERYONE who supported Clinton who is now supporting McCain a racist.

The difference between the mass of supporters could not be any more clear.  Ironically though, the vast majority of the Obama supporters playing the race card have been white.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2008, 01:08:07 PM »

Thanks for this thoughtful post.  To be honest, your comment wasn't particularly bad compared to many on some other threads.  I only cut and pasted it because it was more convenient than searching for the other ones.

The funny thing is that we probably agree nearly entirely on the issues.  For me I just look at it like this.  We're already in Iraq.  McCain won't have the political capital to do another war, his Iran comments notwithstanding.  He won't have the votes in Congress to push through uber-conservative Judges.   But Obama would have the votes in Congress to push through big tax hikes.  I am graduating from law school with $150,000 of debt.  Even though I have a job lined up that pays well over 6 figures, the thought of having such a huge debt is daunting, and I think about it every single day.  I can't afford to pay an extra $20,000 in taxes under the plan's Obama has floated out there.  So on a personal level, Hillary would have been perfect for me.  Good Judges, Good Tax Policy.  But when it comes down to choosing between Obama and McCain, even though I have a gut feeling to always vote Democrat, when I analyze what they'll do for me, McCain wins hands down.  Strategically it's the right move.  Besides, I sort of like it when Congress and the Executive Branch are split, neither party gets too extreme. That's a large part of why the Republicans screwed up so bad with their out of control spending in the first place.

I think what I want is immediate start of withdrawl from Iraq. Maybe changing the roles that our military plays will change the conditions? I dont think they should all come back of course but lets get the ball rolling the other direction and see what happens. We of course have the option of going in there full strength if that is what is required. Ulitimately this is a problem not to be solved by the US congress or US army. The Iraqi legislature is the only place where the situation could possibly be resolved. But that is pretty unlikely isnt it? I think we have to somehow get more countries involved in our efforts or else show them the consequences. Obama could possibly do this but Mccain sure as hell wont.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2008, 01:09:41 PM »

I'll be the first to call her comments wrong.  Not many Obama supporters are standing up and calling out the people who are calling McCain backers racist.

Again, I supported Obama for about a month and a half, even as the primary was starting to get very heated.  I was never personally called a sexist by a lay supporter I talked to online or in person.  I have now supported Hillary for about 2 months and I've probably talked to about 40-50 Obama Supported (4 in the last day on this website) who have either called me personally a racist or EVERYONE who supported Clinton who is now supporting McCain a racist.

The difference between the mass of supporters could not be any more clear.  Ironically though, the vast majority of the Obama supporters playing the race card have been white.

Fine, you're intent on being the victim. The fact that some Obama supporters heckled you shouldn't have anything to do with your vote. They were being stupid; there are stupid people everywhere. I often hear Clinton supporters tell me that my own support, or those of other Obama supporters, is arbitrary and based on faulty reasoning--that sounds like an awfully arbitrary decision on your part.
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2008, 01:39:03 PM »

Fine, you're intent on being the victim. The fact that some Obama supporters heckled you shouldn't have anything to do with your vote. They were being stupid; there are stupid people everywhere. I often hear Clinton supporters tell me that my own support, or those of other Obama supporters, is arbitrary and based on faulty reasoning--that sounds like an awfully arbitrary decision on your part.

LOL - I could care less about some victim role.  That's the role Obama supporters who cry racism every 3 seconds play.  Well that's when they're out of their manic state and not harassing people.  It's not arbitrary to be completely turned off by the Obama "movement" and the people that are part of it and to say, no I don't want anything to do with this, they're hijacking the party I usually vote for.  That's not arbitrary at all.  Aimlessly following one political party is arbitrary and stupid, which is why I refuse to do it if I think the party I prefer has a terrible candidate and a terrible "movement."  There is nothing wrong with that.  If everyone voted for the same party year after year then political control would never change.  Just because the Republicans did this a few years ago, doesn't mean that I am going to blindly follow the Democrats to even things out.  As to my reasoning, well I have cited specific issues in this thread where McCain and Obama disagree, so my reasoning is only based in small part on wanting to stop the "Obama movement."
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »

LOL - I could care less about some victim role. 

Sorry, but anyone who is dragging out this discussion by going on and on about how offended they are by random and fairly anonymous Obama supporters needs to face facts. Politics has lots of people saying stupid and mean things. What it does not have is one side full of good people, all with integrity, and another side full of bad, mean people.

If you're only pretending to be offended, that's even worse than actually getting upset.
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2008, 03:23:39 PM »

LOL - I could care less about some victim role. 

Sorry, but anyone who is dragging out this discussion by going on and on about how offended they are by random and fairly anonymous Obama supporters needs to face facts. Politics has lots of people saying stupid and mean things. What it does not have is one side full of good people, all with integrity, and another side full of bad, mean people.

If you're only pretending to be offended, that's even worse than actually getting upset.

One side has been a lot more rampant with the racist vitriol.  Sorry, but I'm not dragging out this discussion, I've been asked repeatedly why I don't like Obama and I happened to cite his supporters as one reason why.  People have made me explain that so I did.  Yes, I think the racists on this board are offensive, sorry if that upsets you that I don't support racism.
zombones

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2008, 03:26:32 PM »

Disliking a politician because of their supporters is a bad reason to dislike a politician.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2008, 03:28:16 PM »

Disliking a politician because of their supporters is a bad reason to dislike a politician.

Oh I don't know about that.  Ron Paul used to appeal to me a little... until I began to encounter his creepy cabal of supporters, on the internet mostly (where else?).  Sure, that's not fair on Paul, but it was still a factor for me.
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2008, 03:32:51 PM »

No it isn't.  Because that politician has to pay back his supporters in some way, the same way special interest groups are paid back.  I really don't want to support a candidacy that is fueled by reverse racism.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2008, 03:34:13 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2008, 03:35:44 PM by asdf »

One side has been a lot more rampant with the racist vitriol.  Sorry, but I'm not dragging out this discussion, I've been asked repeatedly why I don't like Obama and I happened to cite his supporters as one reason why.  People have made me explain that so I did.  Yes, I think the racists on this board are offensive, sorry if that upsets you that I don't support racism.

So if I find racists who are supporting McCain, you'll abandon him? Cool. The Internet's a big place, it should take me about five minutes to find a Freeper chuckling over the Heineken looter photo who talks about voting for McCain. If you give up supporting McCain, I'll admire your principle.

Try Ben Domenech at Red State, who dismissed Coretta Scott King as a communist and said no one should have cared about her funeral. He's a Republican. Are you offended?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »

No it isn't.  Because that politician has to pay back his supporters in some way, the same way special interest groups are paid back. 

How do you believe the Obama campaign is going to pay back random Internet posters to reward them for their posts?
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »

So if I find racists who are supporting McCain, you'll abandon him? Cool. The Internet's a big place, it should take me about five minutes to find a Freeper chuckling over the Heineken looter photo who talks about voting for McCain. If you give up supporting McCain, I'll admire your principle.

Try Ben Domenech at Red State, who dismissed Coretta Scott King as a communist and said no one should have cared about her funeral. He's a Republican. Are you offended?

Fortunately, it's not PC for Anti-Black Racism to run rampant online and in person.  Unfortunately, it's totally PC for Obama supporters to spread racism wherever they see fit. 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2008, 05:02:07 PM »

Fortunately, it's not PC for Anti-Black Racism to run rampant online and in person.  Unfortunately, it's totally PC for Obama supporters to spread racism wherever they see fit. 

You just dont seem to get the difference between Black people voting FOR Obama and white people voting against the black guy for racial reasons. Minorities vote in blocs not just in America but around the whole world and nobody calls it racism. It is them trying to gain some relevance in the political system. Whites always get to decide who is president. If Whites were to vote 90% for Hillary we would not be having this conversation as she would have won and there would have been nothing abnormal with White people not voting for a black candidate as it has happened before.( eg. Jesse Jackson and such) In truth White americans were just waiting for an acceptable black candidate and many seem to have found it in Obama. Do not try and dismiss Obama as the black candidate because he would not be where he is without strong white support.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2008, 05:09:26 PM »

You just dont seem to get the difference between Black people voting FOR Obama and white people voting against the black guy for racial reasons.

I said it elsewhere, I'll say it again.

Black people vote for black and white candidates, predominantly for white candidates. In the last, oh, ALL general elections where they were able to vote, they have voted for white candidates.

White people have voted for white candidates. They rarely get the opportunity to do otherwise, and unlike black voters, they have not established a record of crossing the racial barrier and voting for someone of another race.

For a black voter to have voted for white candidates all his or her life to be called a racist for voting for a black candidate is obscene.

To not understand that the dynamics of representation are different for majority and minority communities is something to be worked on.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2008, 05:19:22 PM »

White people have voted for white candidates. They rarely get the opportunity to do otherwise, and unlike black voters, they have not established a record of crossing the racial barrier and voting for someone of another race.

Was Deval Patrick elected only by blacks?  J.C. Watts?  Doug Wilder? 

To not understand that the dynamics of representation are different for majority and minority communities is something to be worked on.

To not understand that black people are just as capable of being racist, where given the opportunity, as whites, is something to be worked on.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »

Was Deval Patrick elected only by blacks?  J.C. Watts?  Doug Wilder? 

Spurious. Obama gets a huge number of white votes as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies