Atlas Forum '08: February 8-11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:23:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Atlas Forum '08: February 8-11
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: Atlas Forum '08: February 8-11  (Read 72388 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »
« edited: June 05, 2008, 07:07:01 PM by Vice-Chairman ザハル (さはる) »

I want percentages on both sides, please. Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2008, 07:06:45 PM »

For one major reason. I really don't know in-depth where all candidates stand on all the important issues. At the very least, candidates should fill out a President Forever-like platform thingee to get a feel of their ideology and how they'd fit it in with the various ideological divides in each state. As of now, a bunch of candidates saying "I'm campaigning in Iowa on this and that" is all cool and nice, but doesn't tell me, as a judge, much about their platform and so forth.

I really don't like that myself. I think it has to do with a misinterpretation of what I said. I alluded to campaigning, but I envisioned posting a speech rather than just posting about campaigning.

But this isn't my game. It's yours.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2008, 07:14:44 PM »

What's your position on ethanol (sorry if you already covered it earlier in this thread, probably I lost track)?

By 2017, I would like for 95% of the gasoline used in the U.S. to be made of ethanol, which I feel will also contribute to an increase of jobs in plant construction, operations, and maintenance, which will provide a boost to our economy.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #253 on: June 05, 2008, 07:25:49 PM »

For one major reason. I really don't know in-depth where all candidates stand on all the important issues. At the very least, candidates should fill out a President Forever-like platform thingee to get a feel of their ideology and how they'd fit it in with the various ideological divides in each state. As of now, a bunch of candidates saying "I'm campaigning in Iowa on this and that" is all cool and nice, but doesn't tell me, as a judge, much about their platform and so forth.

I really don't like that myself. I think it has to do with a misinterpretation of what I said. I alluded to campaigning, but I envisioned posting a speech rather than just posting about campaigning.

But this isn't my game. It's yours.

Then let's get the game back on track together after Iowa.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #254 on: June 05, 2008, 07:55:52 PM »

I agree completely.

This game is very chaotic right now and frankly I'm starting to lose interest.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #255 on: June 05, 2008, 08:21:26 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2008, 10:45:25 PM by Ding Dong! »

Social issues

Abortion: I am pro-choice, but feel that roe v. wade was based on dubious reasoning. I will not have an ideological litmus test for nominees on this issue.

Second Amendment: I oppose all federal gun control laws. I am especially opposed to the federal assault weapons bill, which the facts show did not reduce crime and merely prohibited militaristic looking weapons. Leave this issue to the states.

Affirmative Action: I oppose race based affirmative action on the grounds that it violates the 14th amendment. I support class based affirmative action programs, more attention to racial disparities in education, and help for minority business however.

Stem-Cell Research: I strongly support giving federal funding to stem cell research.

Gay Rights: As President I will repeal don't ask don't tell, though I will not promise more because frankly I have little influence over this issue at all. The courts and the states will determine the future of gay rights, which I believe will eventually lead to the legalization of gay marriage.

Sex and Prostitution: I support sex education. Prostitution is ultimately a state's rights issue.

Drug War: The drug war has failed. We have not seen a reduction in drug use, the UN today estimates that we only seize 13% of illegal drugs, drugs have become cheaper, our prisons are more crowded than ever before, and frankly we have seen an alarming erosion in personal freedom. I will end federal involvement in this issue and turn any drug prohibition or legalization to the states.

Election Reform: We need to have a paper trail for all ballots cast electronically. Moreover, we need publicly financed campaigns, but that will not happen.

Illegal Immigration: I support building a wall, increasing funds to ICE, fining employers of illegal immigrants, oppose drivers licenses to illegal immigrants, and oppose all guest worker programs. I do however support a conditional earned citizenship program for long-term illegal immigrants who have a job and no other criminal record.

Economic issues

Tax Cuts: The Bush Tax Cuts were heavily tilted towards the wealthy, and have increased our debt further. However, it is obvious that our tax system is highly complicated and at times anti-competitive, particularly in regards to business taxation. I will phase out the Bush Tax Cuts but provide tax relief for business -- especially small business -- and the neediest Americans.

Social Security: I support phasing out benefits for the wealthy and encouraging private savings more so than now.

Medicare: I support offering americans a choice between private insurance and a government healthcare plan similar to that enjoyed by congress.

Welfare: The status quo is mostly adequate on this issue, but I favor more work training programs.

Education: I oppose No Child Left Behind. It is bureaucratic, an unfunded mandate, and frankly does not address much of the underlying problems in our school systems. I support increasing teacher pay in return for less job security, an extension in scholarships for disadvantaged children, and a limited voucher system for chronically under-performing schools. I also support school uniforms..

Minimum Wage: I support indexing the minimum wage to inflation.

Energy Independence and the Environment: I support investing heavily in alternative energy sources, including Nuclear Power which actually emits less radiation and toxic by products than Coal. I support moving away from heavy emphasis upon the Federal Highway System, and more towards locally administered Mass Public Transportation & High Density Urban Planning. I also support building more refineries and allowing Alaska to drill wherever it deems fit.

NASA -Space Exploration: I support giving more funding to NASA, to allow for more exploration of the moon and other planets. In the future this may yield very positive advances, particularly in regards to Energy. For example, we might mine Hydrogen or Helium on the Moon, and the Asteroid Belt could provide many raw materials for American companies.

Foreign Policy:  America is over-extended and chronically in debt to nations such as China. My administration will end the Iraq War and phase out involvement in areas such as Europe and Asia. It will use the resources saved to invest more in the US economy and remedy our increasing fiscal woes. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2008, 12:55:33 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2008, 01:06:43 AM by Vice-Chairman ザハル (さはる) »

Iowa

Democratic

NDN - 26%, 12 delegates
Rocky - 24%, 11 delegates
HappyWarrior - 19%, 9 delegates
Ben Constine - 17%, 8 delegates
Sensei - 12%, 5 delegates
Willy Woz - 0%

Republican

Fezzyfestoon - 61%, 21 delegates
TJN2024 - 33%, 13 delegates
KingoftheBenchPress - 6%

Wyoming

Republican

Fezzyfestoon - 9 delegates
TJN2024 - 3 delegates

Total

Democratic

NDN - 12
Rocky - 11
HappyWarrior - 9
Ben Constine - 8
Sensei - 5
Willy Woz - 0

3,253 total; 1,627 needed to win

Republican

Fezzyfestoon - 30
TJN2024 - 16
KingoftheBenchPress - 0

2,380 total; 1,191 needed to win
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2008, 07:15:33 AM »

I was going to post my predictions, which weren't similar to your results, but you beat me to them.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »

Sensei drops out of the race and endorses NDN, for we need a humble candidate for the presidency.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #259 on: June 06, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »

Sensei drops out of the race and endorses NDN, for we need a humble candidate for the presidency.

Would you be interested in helping me and Xahar try to restructure this game to make it realistic, fun, and good?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #260 on: June 06, 2008, 01:31:55 PM »

Would you be interested in helping me and Xahar try to restructure this game to make it realistic, fun, and good?
that would probably require restarting the game
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #261 on: June 06, 2008, 02:13:45 PM »

I for one am ok with restarting if it's seen as necessary and if everyone else agrees to it.  Right now I think it's ok; maybe it can be reformatted once we get to the general?

I agree with that, I think we're in too deep to restart, but can consider it for the GE.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #262 on: June 06, 2008, 02:23:22 PM »

I'm against re-starting it too, FTR. But if this continues to be just "so and so is here campaigning on this and that" messages, then it will be very hard to see the actual bases, strengths and so forth for the candidates. I'm proposing that all players be required to post their platform, post transcripts of actual speeches/TV ads/etc., and their activities in-depth from now on. Then we'd get a good feel of who they are, what they stand for and how those positions would play out in various caucuses and primaries.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #263 on: June 06, 2008, 03:02:34 PM »

'Wisconsin governor' Andrew Leitch jumps into the GOP race in time for New Hampshire. Platform to follow.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #264 on: June 06, 2008, 03:23:09 PM »

Sounds good.  It probably makes the most sense to use the P4E platform outlines so we can have a clear comparison between candidates.  Agreed?

Yes.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #265 on: June 06, 2008, 05:57:37 PM »

Senator Conor Flynn's Presidential Platform

Abortion: Keep abortion as it is presently. Safe, legal, and rare. Keep partial-birth abortion legal.

Balanced Budget: We need to curb spending in order to balance the budget. Respect taxpayers' dollars.

Buisness Tax: Reduce taxes for small businesses.

Education: Support our public school system. Private school vouchers drain resources from public schools. Increase funding.

Energy:  Invest in clean energy and end oil company subsidies. Cut oil use significantly by 2025.

Environment: The environment and gobal warming is a major concern. Ratify Kyoto. Increase environmental regulations and pollution cleanup.

Gun Control: The right to bear arms, but only responsibly! Ban assault rifles, require registration/background checks.

Health Care: Universal health care whether public or private. Require health insurance for every child.

Homeland Security: Homeland security is an important priority. Focus on fighting terrorism but also provide disaster relief funding.

Immigration: Immigration is great! The more immigrants the better. Just require a criminal record check. Full blanket-amnesty.

Iran: Keep diplomatic channels open and use economic sanctions. Go to war as a last resort.

Iraq War: We have done our job in Iraq. Begin pulling out troops gradually. Set a timeline for full withdrawal.

Outsourcing:Outsourcing is not a problem, it is part of a globalized world and helps America.

Personal Tax: Reduce income tax for the lower and middle class.

Same Sex Marriage: Same-sex marriage, even if not in name.

Social Security: No to private investment and personal retirement accounts, increase funding.

Unions: Labor demands must be balanced with business concerns.

War on Terrorism: We must focus on Al Qaeda, the War on Iraq is a distraction.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #266 on: June 06, 2008, 05:58:18 PM »

Senator Flynn has also returned to New Hampshire where he is campaigning on Campaign Finance Reform.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #267 on: June 06, 2008, 06:04:31 PM »

Senator Flynn has also returned to New Hampshire where he is campaigning on Campaign Finance Reform.

Did you read what Hashemite said?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #268 on: June 06, 2008, 06:43:39 PM »

Governor HappyWarrior drops out after his third place Iowa showing, not yet endorsing any candidate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #269 on: June 06, 2008, 08:06:51 PM »

Can I stick with my current platform?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »

Ben Constine giving a speech in California:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #271 on: June 06, 2008, 08:58:24 PM »

Screw polling, Senator Alex Parsons of Oregon has made a late entry into the Republican contest!

I want to get involved in this game, it might become fun with some contested races on both sides and actual stuff being done as to platforms and speeches!

Platform etc. soon!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #272 on: June 07, 2008, 02:07:21 AM »
« Edited: June 08, 2008, 10:46:54 AM by Vice-Chairman ザハル (さはる) »

New Hampshire

Democratic

Sensei - 32%, 7 delegates
Rocky - 29%, 7 delegates
NDN - 23%. 5 delegates
Ben Constine - 14%, 3 delegates
Willy Woz - 0%

Republican

Fezzyfestoon - 36%, 4 delegates
Hashemite - 28%, 3 delegates
Afleitch - 27%, 3 delegates
TJN2024 - 15%, 2 delegates
KingoftheBenchPress - 2%

Total

Democratic

Rocky - 21
NDN - 20
Sensei - 15
Ben Constine - 14
HappyWarrior - 9
Willy Woz - 0

3,253 total; 1,627 needed to win

Republican

Fezzyfestoon - 34
TJN2024 - 18
Hashemite - 3
Afleitch - 2
KingoftheBenchPress - 0

2,380 total; 1,191 needed to win
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #273 on: June 07, 2008, 02:10:25 AM »

Question for Democratic candidates:

Will your name be on the ballot in Michigan and/or Florida? Remember, they have been stripped of all delegates. A non-answer is considered a yes.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #274 on: June 07, 2008, 04:13:46 AM »

Question for Democratic candidates:

Will your name be on the ballot in Michigan and/or Florida? Remember, they have been stripped of all delegates. A non-answer is considered a yes.
Yes.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies