Dropping the atomic bombs vs. an American invasion of Japan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:56:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Dropping the atomic bombs vs. an American invasion of Japan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Poll
Question: Which would have been more preferable to you?
An American invasion of the home islands

The dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Dropping the atomic bombs vs. an American invasion of Japan  (Read 27868 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2019, 09:48:37 PM »

On a personal note, my father served in WWII and then again in Korea. When the troops were assembling to go to Korea, my dad was in position to see the plans for the invasion of Japan. Those plans were detailed to the unit level and included a casualty estimate by unit. His WWII unit was slated for the second amphibious wave of the initial invasion of Honshu, and was estimated to have 90% casualties. There was also no desire in the US to prolong the conflict through blockades or other diplomatic means after 4 years of fighting.

Needless to say I'm biased towards the option that was taken, since the odds are against my existence had the invasion been used as planned.

I wonder what was your dad's rank and clearance if he, despite being slated to take a place in the landings, was able to see it. Not something the brass would want the soldiers to know I think.

He saw it as an officer getting ready to go to Korea, not as a soldier in WWII. The base used for logistics in the US in 1950 still had those plans on file though they were obsolete. I suspect that their clearance had been reduced accordingly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies