What forum Democrats would've supported McCarthy and RFK in 1968?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:31:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What forum Democrats would've supported McCarthy and RFK in 1968?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What forum Democrats would've supported McCarthy and RFK in 1968?  (Read 4178 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 07:07:18 PM »

For the record, I would likely have supported McCarthy in the primary but I could have supported RFK in the general election, if he had been nominated.

I'm sure most of you can guess how I feel at HHH...
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 08:53:20 PM »

RFK definatley as a probable Anti-War hippie, that would still be somewhat working class and half-Hispanic.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 09:41:44 PM »

RFK definatley as a probable Anti-War hippie, that would still be somewhat working class and half-Hispanic.

Sounds like an HHHer to me.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »

I would've been for Humphrey, though any of the three would've been fine (I would've preferred Kennedy to McCarthy). Certainly all far preferable to Nixon.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 08:46:08 AM »

Awesome, well any lefty political geek would say so Wink.

Why would some of you have voted/supported Hubert Humphrey? He was a total whore to Mayor Daley and the Labor Unions.

Maybe I like Trade Unions. And, for all his many, many, many faults (which I'm not even going to dare defend so don't pin that one on me) Daley wasn't really a bad Mayor. Certainly better than most of his contemporaries and successors, though maybe that's not much of an achievement.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2008, 09:17:34 AM by Horrible Person »

NDN
Uganda

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 09:18:31 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2008, 09:21:33 AM by Horrible Person »

I don't want to live up to my name THAT much. Wink
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »

Kind of reminds me of 2008, people are arguing over two unelectable candidates, though one has a better shot.

Bobby Kennedy could well have won.  Hell, HHH could have won.

It was the tumultuous convention in Chicago, more than the primary fight, that made the Dems lose in 1968.  The images of anarchy and a wild, war-like atmosphere doomed the Dems.

That's actually not true, at least not to that extent.

Everyone always over-emphasizes the effect of the convention on how the Democrats did.  In reality, the people watching thought the protesters more than the police were out of line.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 02:24:18 PM »

Kind of reminds me of 2008, people are arguing over two unelectable candidates, though one has a better shot.

It was the tumultuous convention in Chicago, more than the primary fight, that made the Dems lose in 1968.  The images of anarchy and a wild, war-like atmosphere doomed the Dems.

Everyone always over-emphasizes the effect of the convention on how the Democrats did.  In reality, the people watching thought the protesters more than the police were out of line.

Yes. Freedom of speech must be snuffed out.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 02:27:56 PM »

^^^^^^^

Though remember the trouble inside the convention aswell. (One of the Senator describing Daley's tactics as "gestapo like" and so on) plus it was clear that the protestors, or at least an element of them, had an influence within the party. Otherwise McCarthy wouldn't do so well.

And as I am better suited as a romantic idealist than a sober realist and especially given the year aswell, I would have gone for the Minnesotan poet.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 02:23:58 AM »

I would have been happy with either, but may have leaned McCarthy.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 02:33:53 AM »

Awesome, well any lefty political geek would say so Wink.

Why would some of you have voted/supported Hubert Humphrey? He was a total whore to Mayor Daley and the Labor Unions.

Maybe I like Trade Unions. And, for all his many, many, many faults (which I'm not even going to dare defend so don't pin that one on me) Daley wasn't really a bad Mayor. Certainly better than most of his contemporaries and successors, though maybe that's not much of an achievement.

Same here. Humphrey, Kennedy and McCarthy would've all made fine Presidents, but Humphrey was a one of a kind politician in many ways. A true working class and civil rights champion for decades.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 08:22:47 PM »

No because I am ridiculously anti-War and I would definatley be a rebelious hippie back in the late 60's.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 08:42:14 PM »

No because I am ridiculously anti-War and I would definatley be a rebelious hippie back in the late 60's.

Not in Idaho you wouldn't. Wink
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »

^^^^^^^

Though remember the trouble inside the convention aswell. (One of the Senator describing Daley's tactics as "gestapo like" and so on) plus it was clear that the protestors, or at least an element of them, had an influence within the party. Otherwise McCarthy wouldn't do so well.

And as I am better suited as a romantic idealist than a sober realist and especially given the year aswell, I would have gone for the Minnesotan poet.

That Senator is Abraham Ribicoff of Connecticut, who said that during his nominating speech of George McGovern (the stand-in for RFK).

And describing McCarthy as a poet is pretty accurate.  He really liked to use poetry in his speeches (reading one of his speeches in Wisconsin brought to me attention what is now my favorite poem "Poets to Come" by Walt Whitman).  One story stands out in particular.  In California, the day of the debate between Kennedy and McCarthy, Kennedy spent the day preparing with his staff.  McCarthy spent the day reading poetry with Robert Lowell, I believe.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »

McCarthy is perhaps the definition of "cool," but when you think of President RFK, you get this weird vision of a blissful utopia. I probably would have been one of those that genuinely believed that President Bobby would have solved all our problems.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 08:05:09 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »

For the young people, in particular, who had been persuaded by the new politics of Robert Kennedy and Eugene McCarthy to recommit themselves to the American electoral system, the assassination seemed to confirm all their lingering suspicions that society could not be reformed by democratic means.

...so instead of that they went and blew their spoiled suburban brains with drugs and general self-centered over-indulgence and voted for Reagan in 1980.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2008, 09:34:39 PM »

Not in Idaho you wouldn't. Wink
No I would have. My Dad was hippyish and he is from Iowa and his family was CATHOLIC, where as mine is more open and Protestant.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 08:14:47 AM »

For the young people, in particular, who had been persuaded by the new politics of Robert Kennedy and Eugene McCarthy to recommit themselves to the American electoral system, the assassination seemed to confirm all their lingering suspicions that society could not be reformed by democratic means.

...so instead of that they went and blew their spoiled suburban brains with drugs and general self-centered over-indulgence and voted for Reagan in 1980.

Mostly. But lets not go there...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2008, 11:54:16 AM »

Have you ever seen The History Man? In sooooo many respects it fits what happend in America better than what happend in Britain. Especially the ending.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2008, 02:07:54 PM »

Have you ever seen The History Man? In sooooo many respects it fits what happend in America better than what happend in Britain. Especially the ending.

No I have not. Actually I've just had to look up in IMDB in see what exactly it was. From what it sounds like (plot descriptions and so forth, obviously not including the ending) it sounds pretty typical.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies