Return to September 10th Bill [Final passage at vote]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 07:20:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Return to September 10th Bill [Final passage at vote]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Return to September 10th Bill [Final passage at vote]  (Read 23241 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2008, 08:08:32 AM »

The original bill is submitted again to the President for his signature or veto.
I think Verily now has the choice to resubmit the original bill, or to reopen of debate?
Or has he informed you of his choice by pm? I want debate reopened. I intend to offer an amendment to the bill.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2008, 10:25:27 AM »

The original bill is submitted again to the President for his signature or veto.
I think Verily now has the choice to resubmit the original bill, or to reopen of debate?
Or has he informed you of his choice by pm? I want debate reopened. I intend to offer an amendment to the bill.

Oh yes, my fault. The sponsor, Meeker, has the choice to either resubmit the original bill or re-open debate on the bill.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2008, 03:14:52 PM »

Oh yes, my fault. The sponsor, Meeker, has the choice to either resubmit the original bill or re-open debate on the bill.
Oh, it's Meeker? Damn my faulty memory. Please reopen debate!
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2008, 01:28:52 AM »

What's the amendment you want to offer?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2008, 05:46:45 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2008, 06:01:30 AM by Hilfscheckerbunny »

"Section 3: Guantanamo Bay
1. The prison camp located at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba is to be closed within six months after this act becomes law.

a. All those presently detained without due charge shall be released to their country of origin.
b. All those detained without due charge in whose cases release to country of origin is impossible due to disputed nationality or similar reasons, and all those detained without due charge threatened with torture or the death penalty in their country of origin, shall be released and granted political in Atlasia.
c. All those detained with due charge shall be transferred to the ordinary federal prison system, and put on trial within 120 days."

Open to debate about some of the wording etc here, but something along these lines. Other sections to remain as originally passed by the Senate. (I'm not sure about how "being charged" works/ed before the Kangaroo Courts - which are now unconstitutional irl - and anyways they never existed in Atlasia. We would need a rule that gives the government the right to file regular charges during the six months. Maybe Torie can write that.)

To recap my reasoning...
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Afleitch's well-intentioned but in effect half contentless, half potentially murderous amendment having been passed by the 25th Senate after being voted down by the 26th, with none of the points addressed here clarified (sorry Porce, the
existing ban on extraditing people who have a risk of facing death or torture
is not enough to satisfy my qualms. Not with any alternative allowed by the law) I'll do anything necessary to reopen debate in order to fix the problem, and everything possible to stop this monstrosity from becoming law.

As to the lesser-relevancy opening sections, I prefer the bill passed by the Senate to the presidential redraft, but don't particularly care.

I am therefore voting nay on the presidential redraft, and urging Meeker to reopen debate in case the nays have it, or failing that, urging Moderate to veto the bill.
[/quote]
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2008, 11:22:57 AM »

I'm in favor of that amendment. I ask that debate be reopened on the bill.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2008, 11:27:46 AM »

Alright, debate is hereby re-opened on the Return to September 10th Bill.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2008, 12:48:48 PM »

Wow, this bill has been on the floor for three months and nine days.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2008, 01:31:55 PM »

I am only prepared to grant the right of habeas corpus review by our Supreme Court to these prisoners. I am not prepared to vote for anything that releases some of these people who while there may be insufficient evidence to put them away (is being an enemy combatant even a crime?), much less release them into our midst.  I prefer to let our Supreme Court fashion some balancing test case by case. One size does not fit all.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2008, 07:43:26 AM »

I am only prepared to grant the right of habeas corpus review by our Supreme Court to these prisoners. I am not prepared to vote for anything that releases some of these people who while there may be insufficient evidence to put them away.
I can only encourage you to read up on the diverse cases at Gitmo.
It's basically safe to say that, after a short period at the beginning and until September 2006, nobody whom the US government considered dangerous was brought to Gitmo, due to the danger of it being declared unconstitutional. Such people (all 14 of them) were instead held at wholly extralegal locations outside the reach of US courts.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2008, 04:17:10 PM »

I will continue to oppose bills that shut down Guatanemo
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2008, 04:37:59 PM »

I am only prepared to grant the right of habeas corpus review by our Supreme Court to these prisoners. I am not prepared to vote for anything that releases some of these people who while there may be insufficient evidence to put them away.
I can only encourage you to read up on the diverse cases at Gitmo.
It's basically safe to say that, after a short period at the beginning and until September 2006, nobody whom the US government considered dangerous was brought to Gitmo, due to the danger of it being declared unconstitutional. Such people (all 14 of them) were instead held at wholly extralegal locations outside the reach of US courts.

Well, if the chaps in Gitmo are all lambs, I am sure our Supremes will spring them, given their woolly status. So the problem is solved, with the Torie fix.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2008, 06:05:51 PM »

I will continue to oppose bills that shut down Guatanemo

Well thanks for that but you wont be Senator for much longer.

Lewis do you want to formally introduce that amendment?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2008, 09:14:07 AM »

Consider it introduced.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2008, 02:27:13 PM »

Where is the amendment? I would appreciate it if someone copies and pastes the text we are to consider.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2008, 12:32:19 PM »

1. The prison camp located at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba is to be closed within six months after this act becomes law.

a. All those presently detained without due charge shall be released to their country of origin.
b. All those detained without due charge in whose cases release to country of origin is impossible due to disputed nationality or similar reasons, and all those detained without due charge threatened with torture or the death penalty in their country of origin, shall be released and granted political in Atlasia.
c. All those detained with due charge shall be transferred to the ordinary federal prison system, and put on trial within 120 days."

Remaining sections to remain unchanged, of course.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2008, 01:39:25 PM »

I support this, obviously.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2008, 05:27:05 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2008, 05:41:50 PM by Torie »

I propose this rewrite as a friendly amendment. I think the changes are self explanatory.

a. All those presently detained who are not duly charged within 90 days of the enactment of this Act shall be released to their country of origin.

b. Notwithstanding the provisions of 2.a., in any case where (ii) [(i)]  the country of origin of any such prisoner otherwise subject to release is disputed, and the court with jurisdiction is unable due to insufficient evidence to make a finding of fact of such country of origin, or (ii)  the rendition of any such prisoner to any such country of origin is found by such court to pose a substantial risk that such prisoner will be subjected to torture or the death penalty in such country of origin, such prisoner shall be released and granted political in Atlasia.

c. All those detained in Guantanamo Bay with due charge shall be transferred to the ordinary federal prison system, and  prosecuted in accordance with the same federal  law which  obtains for the citizens of Atlasia residing within the nation of Atlasia.

[Edited to correct obvious typo as noted above ((i) comes before (ii))]
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2008, 11:13:01 AM »

Meeker must approve this amendment as friendly before 6:27 PM today. Otherwise this will be included in the amendment queue and will be voted on after Senator Trondheim's amendment.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »

I accept the amendment as friendly.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2008, 11:59:31 AM »

It has to be Meeker who accepts it as he is the sponsor of the original bill.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »

It has to be Meeker who accepts it as he is the sponsor of the original bill.
Oh. Well in that case I withdraw my version. That should work, shouldn't it?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2008, 02:52:27 PM »

I'll take Torie's as friendly.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2008, 04:07:24 PM »

Senator's have 24 hours to file an objection to accepting Torie's amendment as friendly.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »

No Senators objected to Torie's amendment being introduced as friendly. I will leave this open for 24 more hours in order to see if there is any last debate on this bill. Voting will begin tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies