Obama on Small-Town Pennsylvania...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:29:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama on Small-Town Pennsylvania...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25
Author Topic: Obama on Small-Town Pennsylvania...  (Read 42697 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: April 12, 2008, 04:58:10 PM »

It isn't the current situation either; Obama's describing the small towns of 25-30 years ago.

Back when there were still a few people living in them.

Most retrained, and got better jobs.

Thousands of miles away.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2008, 04:59:43 PM »

Unbelievable, this thread is still alive
Nothing will happen, stop trying to contrive
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #227 on: April 12, 2008, 05:01:40 PM »

It might be a tangible hit against Obama. He's lucky he said this as late in the cycle as he did. It is just so wonderful when Dems one wants to lose make rhetorical errors - well, for some us. In event, the idea is to wound Obama, without killing him as a host.

Not much of a 'wound'.  Hicks wouldn't vote for him anyway, and anyone who would vote for him dislikes hicks.

I know this might shock one, but it may be that even some who are not hicks, and not Pubbies, might not find favor with crude and errant stereotyping by one who has never walked the walk of those who wear the shoes that Obama has never come close to wearing. Hickdom knows no boundaries really, if hickdom means being lazy about characterizing the other, with archetypes which just  makes one more comfortable with their own little impermeable bubble of a universe.

No, americans all stereotype.  If you think the 'anti-stereotyping vote' is going to get away from Obama, you're crazy, however.  The only people who resist stereotyping are liberals, and they're certainly not voting for Hillary or McCain.

Obama stereotypes, liberals don't, and liberals are not supporting McCain or Hillary, so Obama has no problem. Is that your thesis?  I'm sorry, it seems internally contradictory within the four corners of your text, without any extrinsic evidence.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #228 on: April 12, 2008, 05:03:01 PM »

After this I would advise any Obama supporter to think good and hard about supporting Hillary in November.  This is a coordinated attack with the Republicans in order to knock him out of the race.  Just look at the NRCC attacks on Democrats trying to pry SD's away from Obama and towards Hillary.  http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/04/nrcc-continues.html
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #229 on: April 12, 2008, 05:03:32 PM »

It might be a tangible hit against Obama. He's lucky he said this as late in the cycle as he did. It is just so wonderful when Dems one wants to lose make rhetorical errors - well, for some us. In event, the idea is to wound Obama, without killing him as a host.

Not much of a 'wound'.  Hicks wouldn't vote for him anyway, and anyone who would vote for him dislikes hicks.

You think the only people in the Democratic party are the wealthy far left liberals, working class whites and blacks? There are small town Democrats that Obama needs to win. He can't rely simply on urban areas and nothing else.

But back to the statement. He's saying it's a crutch to be pro-gun, religious, and anti-trade? I don't understand anti-trade because he is anti-trade, but wanting to ensure we have our 2nd amendment rights and right to free exercise is not a crutch.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #230 on: April 12, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »

I dont understand why people are getting so riled up about it, except because they are hacks and are just trying to find a reason to bash Obama and label him a bad person. If your not bitter and frustrated and your life is in the dumps isnt it natural for people to turn to religion for help...I mean isnt that kinda the point? Again this is something thats being blown way out of proportion by the MSM and the opposition. Im definately not surprised though....very dissapointed though.

...or because some of us are the type of people he essentially talked down to.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »

Lead story on the local news again.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2008, 05:07:04 PM »

I wonder how the black preachers are going to handle this one tomorrow...
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2008, 05:07:58 PM »

This one is a little more than "regret."  It tells us something of his ideology.

What would that be, pragmatic Smiley progressivism?

Dave
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #234 on: April 12, 2008, 05:08:57 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2008, 05:10:58 PM by Alcon »

Al, would you elaborate on the inaccuracies of the comment for us pathetic suburbanites?

The first thing when I woke up today was an email from a friend in northwestern PA (who works in a factory) reading "Obama nails Erie."  I'm very much confused who to believe Wink.  Viewed in the context of voting patterns (the only instance in which the "anti-trade" part makes sense) it all seems accurate to me.  But I do want to hear your thoughts on this.

I'm not certain who you are addressing.

One major one in the link between religion, guns and the economic shift 25-30 years ago.   Well prior to that, there was the same religion and gun trends (I'd actually say the area is less religious than my current area, in terms of church attendance). 

A very good example is me.  I graduated from HS in one of those small towns 28 years ago.  While in High School I was in "Shotgunners Club," where students shot skeet.  Yes, we shot skeet out behind the school.

Just to follow up (since this topic has gotten an incredible number of replies) -- I was speaking to Al, and said as much, although I appreciate your reply.

I'm not sure I accept the idea that additional economic hardship does not encourage people to take refuse in religion, though.  But I suppose this is moot since, if the best I'm going to get is a single-person anecdotal example, no one's mind is going to change here.

Edit: Reading this thread is reminding me of why I know I am going to love, and hate, this General Election for very different reasons.  People really look for a personal reason to hate people they disagree with.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #235 on: April 12, 2008, 05:09:20 PM »

Ignore it, but it's good to know Obama considers faith to be a byproduct of being "bitter."
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2008, 05:10:41 PM »

"The government has failed us, so 'God damn America' and turn to religion - and Obama counts as our religion"!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »

After this I would advise any Obama supporter to think good and hard about supporting Hillary in November.  This is a coordinated attack with the Republicans in order to knock him out of the race.  Just look at the NRCC attacks on Democrats trying to pry SD's away from Obama and towards Hillary.  http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/04/nrcc-continues.html

Err, there's no mention of the Clinton camp. Just because they are going after a freshman Congressman who is a superdelegate in Pennsylvania who also happens to be in a tough re-election rematch, and whose district base isn't exactly Obama's base, doesn't mean there is some kind of conspiracy, which I doubt the Clinton people could pull off anyway. Besides, if they tried it and made it to the GE, the NRCC could just offer proof of a conspiracy and that would divide the Dems even more, so it'd be stupid even if possible.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2008, 05:13:42 PM »

Alcon who is this seer "Al" and why is he is seer? In any event, how do I meet him?  I want a seer up close and personal.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2008, 05:14:58 PM »

This one is a little more than "regret."  It tells us something of his ideology.

Dave

Try regressive to atavistic.  He's talking about an issue of 25-35 years ago.  You might to took at the Billy Joel song Allentown (written in 1982).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2008, 05:17:25 PM »

Dave

Try regressive to atavistic.  He's talking about an issue of 25-35 years ago.  You might to took at the Billy Joel song Allentown (written in 1982).

It started 25 years ago, but those places are still losing population.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2008, 05:17:27 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2008, 05:32:48 PM by Alcon »

Alcon who is this seer "Al" and why is he is seer? In any event, how do I meet him?  I want a seer up close and personal.

Al is Realpolitik, currently AKA "Trech Gwlad Nac Arglwydd!"  Welsh fellow, frequent poster, near-universally referred to by the shortform of his first name (Alun).  Surprised that you're unfamiliar after so many posts.

Not sure about Seer, but certainly Poster -- as in, poster to whom I was responding for further clarification.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2008, 05:17:58 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2008, 05:20:03 PM by Storebought »

Most small towns, especially in the Midwest/ Great Plains (and the South too -- "King Cotton"), were built with only some narrow economic focus in mind, like lying along a river or being a stop along a 19th century railroad line. Just like small businesses with shallow economic 'moats', or large business with deep but narrow 'moats', towns built for a specific function will face hardship sooner, and much more severely, than larger towns with larger 'moats', or else small towns better-situated for economic change.

American towns (built after 1820 or so) have purely capitalist functions if they are not a county seat. And every region of the country has seen its small towns not connected with a more dynamic economy shrink.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2008, 05:22:12 PM »

After this I would advise any Obama supporter to think good and hard about supporting Hillary in November.  This is a coordinated attack with the Republicans in order to knock him out of the race.  Just look at the NRCC attacks on Democrats trying to pry SD's away from Obama and towards Hillary.  http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/04/nrcc-continues.html

If Obama fails to win the Democratic nomination, I've no candidate Sad. If he wins the Democratic nomination but loses the general because of Democrats voting for McCain, I've no party Sad. That's how I'd feel were I American

I'm not sure I could even identify with the Democratic Party any more. In fact, November 4 could mark a turning point in my life in that it could be the day the avowed Americophile that has been Dave Hawk stops caring Sad

The state of American and British politics, right now, really is appalling. The pits Sad

Dave
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2008, 05:26:01 PM »

Dave

It started 25 years ago, but those places are still losing population.

They are losing population because the local jobs are not there (though that is changing).  There are not hoards of unemployed.  What you generally have now is an older population (that is dying off).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2008, 05:26:21 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2008, 05:28:40 PM by Torie »

Al is Realpolitik, currently AKA "Trech Gwlad Nac Arglwydd!"  Welsh fellow, frequent poster, near-universally referred to by the shortform of his first name (Alun).  Surprised that you're unfamiliar after so many posts.

Not sure about Seer, but certainly Poster -- as in, poster to whom I was responding for further clarification.

I did a search for both names (including that charming  string of Welsh words (heck I have a lot of Welsh blood myself, and my dad's name was Lloyd, and he could sing like a Welsh angel to boot), and come up empty. Perhaps you could favor me with a link to a post by this poster, Alcon? Thanks.

PS: I caught the earlier version of your post, before you Bowdlerized it. Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »

Lead story, national news.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2008, 05:37:12 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2008, 05:40:17 PM by Alcon »

I did a search for both names (including that charming  string of Welsh words (heck I have a lot of Welsh blood myself, and my dad's name was Lloyd, and he could sing like a Welsh angel to boot), and come up empty. Perhaps you could favor me with a link to a post by this poster, Alcon? Thanks.

Sure.  In fact, I'll do you better.  I have three in a row!  Same page as my original comment, a few posts up.

PS: I caught the earlier version of your post, before you Bowdlerized it. Tongue

I don't even remember what it said, but I remember it was rude.  I just came back from our county convention and have a newfound animosity toward the human race.  Especially the parts of it who debate resolutions involve changing commas to semicolons.  Incorrectly.

It's not personal -- you're just carbon-based and not agreeing with me unconditionally.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #248 on: April 12, 2008, 05:39:53 PM »

Sure.  In fact, I'll do you better.  I have three in a row!  Same page as my original comment, a few posts up.

I don't even remember what it said, but I remember it was rude.  I just came back from our county convention and have a newfound animosity toward the human race.

Especially the parts of it who debate resolutions involve changing commas to semicolons.  Incorrectly.

It's not personal -- you're just carbon-based and not agreeing with me unconditionally.

I thought the comment was a tender  bon mot of endearment actually. Pity that you cleansed it. Thanks for the links. I will inspect this chap with in interest.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2008, 05:42:01 PM »

I thought the comment was a tender  bon mot of endearment actually. Pity that you cleansed it. Thanks for the links. I will inspect this chap with in interest.

I'd pretend that I know what a bon mot is, but it's clear you're so far over my head you could be in a fighter jet, everyone probably knows I don't already.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies