Obama on Small-Town Pennsylvania...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 03:29:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama on Small-Town Pennsylvania...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25
Author Topic: Obama on Small-Town Pennsylvania...  (Read 42658 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: April 14, 2008, 05:36:18 PM »

Lead story NBC and CBS.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #526 on: April 14, 2008, 06:10:12 PM »

What still Roll Eyes
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #527 on: April 14, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »

You know, J.J., some of what Opebo says is true:

The only reasons quality of life has increased in the past 35 years is because

1)  The wife is now working.  A combination of the feminist revolution and pure necessity, most homes are now two-income households.

2)  Technology.  The development of technology has allowed us to enjoy better medical care for similar costs.  This is an illusory increase in quality of life.  It's like saying cash back schemes from credit card companies are big improvements in your income.

3)  The infrastructure and institutions were in place that gave us a high quality of life, so it would take a long time for us to even notice a decline.  Now that infrastructure is falling into the river and the institutions are being gutted by the Republican party...

People are starting to see that not only is their slice of the pie shrinking, but the whole fcuking pie is getting smaller, and they are not happy.  And the old man from Arizona isn't going to help at all.. at best, he will be the Benedict of popes:  a status-quo filler piece to hold the fort until we actually figure out how to fix this mess.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #528 on: April 14, 2008, 06:26:08 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2008, 06:29:06 PM by TakeOurCountryBack »

What happens when democracy truly doesn't work.  It hasn't in this country for a long time.  You have to be assertive and say what needs to be said and do what needs to be in order in order to promote equality and freedom, the two principles on which we should be governing ourselves. 

Eureka!  We don't need these silly elections after all!  I've always been fond of the idea of oligarchy anyway, because it'd be fine as long as the overlords don't abuse their power or anything...

Your overblowing the point i'm trying to make.  I never said we should establish an oligarchy, but how can you argue that voters in the current system who are engaging in self-destruction by getting their priorities out of whack may need someone they would consider "elite" to light the way for them?  The middle class is squeezed to death as it is and the next generation is going to be handed over a record deficit.  You think you hate the elite now?  What until they REALLY have everything... 'cause that's the way it's going. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #529 on: April 14, 2008, 06:30:15 PM »

Who are you to decide what people's priorities are?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #530 on: April 14, 2008, 06:35:30 PM »

Now they are talking out on Hardball.  The Democratic chairman of Allegheny County said almost exactly the same thing I have.

Hillary Hack?

See? There is a media bias...and its not for our guys.

Well, maybe we don't get it, but, it just seems that these priorities are something people can do on thier own.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #531 on: April 14, 2008, 06:39:28 PM »

You know, J.J., some of what Opebo says is true:

The only reasons quality of life has increased in the past 35 years is because

1)  The wife is now working.  A combination of the feminist revolution and pure necessity, most homes are now two-income households.

2)  Technology.  The development of technology has allowed us to enjoy better medical care for similar costs.  This is an illusory increase in quality of life.  It's like saying cash back schemes from credit card companies are big improvements in your income.

3)  The infrastructure and institutions were in place that gave us a high quality of life, so it would take a long time for us to even notice a decline.  Now that infrastructure is falling into the river and the institutions are being gutted by the Republican party...

People are starting to see that not only is their slice of the pie shrinking, but the whole fcuking pie is getting smaller, and they are not happy.  And the old man from Arizona isn't going to help at all.. at best, he will be the Benedict of popes:  a status-quo filler piece to hold the fort until we actually figure out how to fix this mess.

But, I can tell you it is not true in Pennsylvania.  People may wish to have more, want a bigger pie, as it were.  The inexperienced guy, who was living in Hawaii at the time, really doesn't understand it.  Only someone living in a state of Obamality would consider looking at these times as a model.  This was one of the reasons parennts encouraged their children, especially male children, to attend college, to escape this type of life.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #532 on: April 14, 2008, 06:44:41 PM »

General point here... why should the leaders of the country be in touch with small town America.  It's really such a cute statement. 

Because, in a democracy, the leaders of a country should be in touch with all sections of society.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nice.

The title and the status it implies is merely a reflection of their political and economic power. It has nothing to do with whether or not such power and status is deserved.

I Know My Place. Would sir like me to doff my cap at sir, sir? Would sir like me to hew him some wood or draw him some water, sir, sir?

The whole of it.

D E M O C R A C Y. Ever heard of that concept before, your highness?

1) We do not live in a democracy, we live in a constitution republic based on the idea that we elect people MORE QUALIFIED TO WORK IN GOVERNMENT TO REPRESENT US.  This is a horrible misconception about this country.  

2) I no longer care about making harsh statements towards the working class.  What I said was fact anyway.  they were asked last election what mattered most to them.  What mattered most?  Making sure that their personal moral views were imbedded into the fabric of the country.  As a progressive I find that dispicable.  

3) I was not talking about what the elite really is I'm talking about what it is perceived by middle America to be.  A bunch of uppity pussies who went to college and...I dunno... learned stuff.  Why are they so defensive about someone possible knowing more about a subject than they do?

4) The entire agenda of my version of progressivism has a goal of no one EVER HAVING A PLACE!!!  I want everyone to be able to do anything they want to do and have every oppurtunity in the world to accomplish whatever it is they can and want to do, but instead of electing a person that could lead them down that path they do exactly what Obama said and that's to get bitter and shun those they think are trying to change them.  This is just fact, dude.  Who gives a damn whether or not a liberal is in touch with a regular Joe... the liberal policy is absolutely the one that is going to help him the most.  The definition of being "in touch" in the country is so out of whack its not even funny.  "In touch" is not agreeing on religion and going to NASCAR events... being in touch is being able to understand each others concerns and work towards a benefitial solution.  Liberal America is trying to help conservative America...but they're honestly being a bunch of pricks about it.  

...and to this last point you made...But honestly... which realm of society should be deciding policy?  
[/quote]

The whole of it.

D E M O C R A C Y. Ever heard of that concept before, your highness?

when that WHOLE of society is becoming increasingly self-destructive and backward what do you suppose we do?  Honestly, I want to hear your answer.  Continue down the path to hell because 50.0000001% of the population thinks that's a good idea?  
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #533 on: April 14, 2008, 06:44:58 PM »

Now they are talking out on Hardball.  The Democratic chairman of Allegheny County said almost exactly the same thing I have.

Hillary Hack?

Even the Obama spokesman, the Democratic chair of Lackawanna  couldn't defend the remark!  LOL.

See? There is a media bias...and its not for our guys.
[/quote]

No, it's not often that a candidate for president displays such ignorance of a sizable section of the population.  Just a clearner version of Earl Butz.

Well, maybe we don't get it, but, it just seems that these priorities are something people can do on thier own.
[/quote]

Obama knows best!  Heil Fuhrer Obama! Roll Eyes
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #534 on: April 14, 2008, 06:47:32 PM »

I know what people's priorities are... I'm just one for telling them that they're out of whack.  When your job is about to get shipped overseas and all you can think about is the gay couple that moved down the street or that Obama doesn't wear a flag lapel... someone needs to open your eyes.  Ignorance on such a grand scale can only lead to horrible consequences. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #535 on: April 14, 2008, 06:47:42 PM »

when that WHOLE of society is becoming increasingly self-destructive and backward what do you suppose we do?  Honestly, I want to hear your answer.  Continue down the path to hell because 50.0000001% of the population thinks that's a good idea? 

Under this theory, elect a King.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #536 on: April 14, 2008, 06:49:50 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2008, 06:52:38 PM by TakeOurCountryBack »

when that WHOLE of society is becoming increasingly self-destructive and backward what do you suppose we do?  Honestly, I want to hear your answer.  Continue down the path to hell because 50.0000001% of the population thinks that's a good idea? 

No, under this theory, EDUCATE PEOPLE. 

You people obviously aren't connecting that I want to achieve prosperity by promoting openness and shunning ignorance.  I'm not saying we should have a king that forces people into anything, I'm saying we have a society that's going downhill and no there is no simple answer other than thhat we can not continue as we are. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #537 on: April 14, 2008, 06:51:45 PM »

And if the people look at what you are saying and reject it?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #538 on: April 14, 2008, 06:56:20 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2008, 06:59:45 PM by TakeOurCountryBack »

There would be no rejection of such simple ideas in a society that promotes rationality and logic.  We do not seem to do that yet as a majority.  I think in order for that more ideal society to take shape, everyone has to open their minds a little bit...

...and another big point that I couldn't put into words before.  Not only does ignorance in the working class hurt themselves... it's hurting the TRULY, TRULY, desperate people.  The homeless, the people who aren't sure if they are going to eat next week.  In a society as advanced as we are, is this not a great injustice?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #539 on: April 14, 2008, 07:06:40 PM »

What happens when democracy truly doesn't work.

This looks like it translates as "what happens when my party loses".

Bearing in mind some of the disgusting rubbish you've been spouting off here, I doubt that you give a tinkers cuss for equality or freedom; you just think that you do because paying lip-service to such concepts is part of the ideological (if that's too grand a word) package that you've bought into.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #540 on: April 14, 2008, 07:12:06 PM »

There would be no rejection of such simple ideas in a society that promotes rationality and logic.  We do not seem to do that yet as a majority.  I think in order for that more ideal society to take shape, everyone has to open their minds a little bit...

You've fallen into Obamality.  Does he think he should run the lives of the people in PA? 

It never occurred to you that they did and rejected the ideas.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #541 on: April 14, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »

1) We do not live in a democracy, we live in a constitution republic based on the idea that we elect people MORE QUALIFIED TO WORK IN GOVERNMENT TO REPRESENT US.  This is a horrible misconception about this country.

lol, not this nonsense again. In practice there is little difference between "representative democracy" and a "constitutional republic".

Why is it that the only section of society you snobbish liberal bastards think that it's alright to be bigoted against is the working class?

Oh, so now his royal fucking highness gets to determined the nature of truth... great...

No they were not and neither was anyone else.

Hypocrite

You certainly fit all the worst stereotypes of the so-called elite.

This does not fit in with the vile classist idiocy you've been spouting off so far.

And this sort of attitude, children, is why American Liberalism has been intellectually and morally bankrupt for the past few decades.

Fascist
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #542 on: April 14, 2008, 07:27:08 PM »

Well, this is why we need to have a real discussion about these sorts of things. Then again, if people are willingly making bad choices, what can we do about it? Is it us? Is it them? Do we simply choose to go extinct?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #543 on: April 14, 2008, 07:28:13 PM »

There would be no rejection of such simple ideas in a society that promotes rationality and logic.  We do not seem to do that yet as a majority.

In this thread you have demonstrated no rationality and no logic. Just thought you ought to know.

Your mind appears to be as closed as Anglesey on a Sunday.

lol; this is exactly the sort of nonsense the spoiled "radical" brats used to trot out in the '60's and early '70's. But at least they could write a bit better than you.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #544 on: April 14, 2008, 07:39:31 PM »

Can't be just me who's finding it audacious that Clinton and McCain are accusing Obama of being an elitist?

Perhaps, it's to deflect from the fact that they would be more beholden to elite interests than Obama and if Obama's deft enough he can use this to turn the tables. Now that would be justice Smiley [even if I'm not, right now, holding out much hope of that]

Dave
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #545 on: April 14, 2008, 07:47:42 PM »

If anyone thinks Obama voters will be turned off by this media blitzkrieg and droolfest over this.........fuggetaboutit.  They will not vote for the Beast cause of this.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #546 on: April 14, 2008, 07:48:48 PM »

There would be no rejection of such simple ideas in a society that promotes rationality and logic.  We do not seem to do that yet as a majority.

In this thread you have demonstrated no rationality and no logic. Just thought you ought to know.

lol; this is exactly the sort of nonsense the spoiled "radical" brats used to trot out in the '60's and early '70's. But at least they could write a bit better than you.

Yes, we know Al.. your penis is unimaginably bigger than any of ours could ever dream to be...

But maybe you could actually speak to the debate at hand rather than just picking apart the other posters.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #547 on: April 14, 2008, 07:50:04 PM »

If anyone thinks Obama voters will be turned off by this media blitzkrieg and droolfest over this.........fuggetaboutit.  They will not vote for the Beast cause of this.

That about somes it.

Yes, we know Al.. your penis is unimaginably bigger than any of ours could ever dream to be...

But maybe you could actually speak to the debate at hand rather than just picking apart the other posters.

....and by not sounding...elitist. Wink
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #548 on: April 14, 2008, 07:51:37 PM »

Well, this is why we need to have a real discussion about these sorts of things. Then again, if people are willingly making bad choices, what can we do about it? Is it us? Is it them? Do we simply choose to go extinct?

In a democracy, we assume that the majority will have the wisdom to make the right choices.  Or, in Churchill's words, "Democracy is the worst system of government, except for all the others."

I like the idea that some people here seem to be advocating that Obama knows better than Clinton or McCain, and the people in general.  Their evidence is?   Obama is not a guy with a good track record; he doesn't have a track record.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #549 on: April 14, 2008, 07:53:19 PM »

But it will swing the undecided and those who've yet to drink the Obama Koolaide.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies