TN: Rasmussen: McCain far ahead ahead of Clinton, Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:29:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  TN: Rasmussen: McCain far ahead ahead of Clinton, Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: TN: Rasmussen: McCain far ahead ahead of Clinton, Obama  (Read 3908 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 03:14:10 PM »

Hillary also loses TN by 14 points.  Many Hillary supporters were trying to say that she can carry the state.  Yeah right.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 06:03:12 PM »

Sounds about right except that the numbers don't come anywhere close to 100%.

What do you mean? Are you forgetting the undecideds or what?

The numbers in the first set are 38, 52, and 3, which add to 93. The second set has 31 and 58, which add to 89. In both cases we're missing several percent. Those thinking rural Tennesseeans won't vote for a black guy may want to revisit the 2006 Senate map. That said, Obama doesn't really have a prayer in TN. Whether he loses by 5 or 15, the EC guarantees 11 electors for McCain. Guess I'm effectively disenfranchised (again).
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 06:09:59 PM »

If it's McCain versus Obama my money is on AR, KY, OK, TN and WV posting the highest number of McCain 'Democrats' come the general. Yes, Clinton wins the Democratic primaries in KY and WV in a walk regardless of what happens in PA, IN and NC

IIRC, according to the 2004 exit polls, more Tennessean voters than any other state of the Union identified as conservatives

Bill Clinton won Tennessee twice but with Al Gore as running mate and Ross Perot on the ballot. GWB beat Gore 51-47 and cruised to a 57-43 win over Kerry

It is just not a friendly state for Democratic presidential candidates; 4 of its 5 Democratic Reps are among the most conservative Democrats in the House

Dave
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 06:18:22 PM »

Considering that TN couldn't stomach voting for a right wing warmonger black Democrat, there isn't much of a reason to believe that Obama could even reach Kerry's numbers in the state.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »

Considering that TN couldn't stomach voting for a right wing warmonger black Democrat, there isn't much of a reason to believe that Obama could even reach Kerry's numbers in the state.

If you're talking about Harold Ford Jnr, that's stretching it a bit. He's not someone I'd consider to be particularly right wing

Dave
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2008, 09:16:38 PM »

Harold Ford was a war monger?

Who knew.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 09:58:57 PM »

John Kerry shouldn't be the benchmark in such areas.

Agreed. I think a lot of people are forgetting that Kerry did very poorly with the exact same voters that Obama is likely to have problems with. Predictions that Obama will do worse than Kerry in working class areas are just kind of crazy in my opinion....the more favorable national environment for the Dems in 2008 will certainly at least cancel out any blatant racism among these voters. And that's not just hyperbole on the racist part; Kerry was pretty liberal by modern standards, too, so you can't just say they will refuse to vote for Obama due to his liberalism.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 10:01:41 PM »

Ford did better than even Gore in 2000, and quite a bit better than Kerry in 2004. I wouldn't go so far as to say they couldn't stomach voting for him....he did pretty well especially considering his race was likely a considerable drawback in his state. In fact I think one could well argue he would've won if he'd been white.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 10:30:47 PM »

If you're talking about Harold Ford Jnr, that's stretching it a bit. He's not someone I'd consider to be particularly right wing

Dave

No offense Dave, but I would consider you fairly right wing. Wink
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 10:42:46 PM »

Ford did better than even Gore in 2000, and quite a bit better than Kerry in 2004. I wouldn't go so far as to say they couldn't stomach voting for him....he did pretty well especially considering his race was likely a considerable drawback in his state. In fact I think one could well argue he would've won if he'd been white.

Possibly, given how horrible the national scene was for Republicans in 2006. However, it's still a red state when it comes down to it. Tennessee is to the Democrats what Washington state is for the Republicans.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2008, 01:21:59 AM »

I want to...but I just don't have as much a reason to....besides....I'm a vital part of the conservatism on this forum.

It's rude to make people's eyes bleed.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2008, 02:45:57 AM »

I know. If he was a white warmonger Democrat, he almost certainly would have edged Corker.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2008, 02:46:30 AM »

Harold Ford was a war monger?

Who knew.

You should inspect such things.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2008, 05:34:50 AM »

Predictions that Obama will do worse than Kerry in working class areas are just kind of crazy in my opinion....

Agree, more or less, as far as non-metropolitan working class areas are concerned (hey, *if* the extra Bush voters in such places from 2004 don't turn out for McCain he might actually do *better* in percentage terms than Kerry in areas like that). I think that there might be more grounds for concern in metropolitan (white and hispanic) working class areas.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2008, 09:51:41 AM »

I know. If he was a white warmonger Democrat, he almost certainly would have edged Corker.

Cue Geraldean Ferraro for a comment.   The thing is, in this case, she would have been totally right.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies