The REAL issue on John Kerry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:04:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  The REAL issue on John Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The REAL issue on John Kerry  (Read 6736 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2004, 09:42:34 PM »
« edited: February 14, 2004, 09:49:22 PM by Michael Z »

Michael Z, you're right. Part of it I suppose is who is making the charges. If it's a high-level government or party official who is saying something unsubstantiated, it's more likely to be reported based on the fact that that person is saying it.

The real problem I see is that, with the internet's presence growing, virtually everybody with a computer - ranging from high-profile commentators like Drudge through to, say, a 12-year old schoolgirl from Pittsburgh - will be able to post allegations about prominent figures (whether it's politicians, rock stars, sports personalities, etc) for all the world to see.

Even though there are of course legal powers to stop this, for example by enforcing an injunction, allegations often stick, no matter how unfounded. And this is where the crux lies: if journalists are going to pick up any allegation which happens to be circulating they could effectively destroy someone's career for no good reason. Of course, the media, namely the so-called gutter press, are doing it right now, and have done so for quite some time, which is quite unfortunate. Oh well, I guess I'm not really addressing any specific points you've made, I'm just thinking out loud now.

You're right in the sense that there may be some grey areas with regards to context and who is making the allegations, but I'm sure we've agreed on the basic principle here.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2004, 06:20:02 PM »

Steven,

You posted FACTS, not opinions. But you will be accused by some of the Democrats on this forum of engaging in smear tactics. The double standard is soooo funny. They can talk endlessly about whether or not George Bush was or wasn't in Alabama in 1973, but the ACTUAL VOTING RECORD of a US SENATOR is off limits.

Speaking of double standards, I was watching Aaron Brown on CNN the other day and he opened the hour by informing the audience that there was a rumor going around the internet that portrayed Kerry as quite a lecher.  He went on to say that CNN was not covering the story because it was simply an unconfirmed rumor spread by the right-wing drudgereport.  Immediately after he was done speaking about Kerry's alleged indiscretion he launched into a story on Bush's National Guard service.

So let me get this straight, when unconfirmed allegations of misconduct are made against a democrat they are dismissed as mere rumors.  When unconfirmed allegations of misconduct are made against a republican, they are immediately vaulted to the front page of every newspaper in the country.  What hypocracy.

There ae facts in the Bush service case, but generally all people are biased. I have to say that I find it a little pathetic when political activists accuse each other of double standards...like Republicans would never do that, or like Fox commentators are always unbiased, etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies