RNC Rules Committee passes major overhaul of primary calendar for 2012

(1/5) > >>

Mr. Morden:
No idea what's going to happen with this.  Unless several dozen state parties and state legislatures go along with this, is this ever going to work?:

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/04/rnc_rules_committee_passes_ohi_1.php

You must be logged in to read this quote.

scanned first page of the "Ohio Plan":

Josh/Devilman88:
I like it. The Democratic primary need to be done like this too.

Padfoot:
The only problem I see with this plan is that state populations aren't static and you're going to have to move things around every so often.

Other than that, this plan is far superior to the typical regional rotating primary and it seems pretty fair to me.

The big question will be what the Democrats decide to do.  If they don't attempt any reforms then  I think a lot of states will ignore the Republicans' approved calendar and just vote whenever the Democrats do in order to save money.

It would really be nice if the two parties could at least attempt to work together on this but I doubt it will happen.

Meeker:
It'll require more than the national parties working together. The Legislatures, Secretaries of State, state parties are all going to have to somehow work together and agree to make a national calendar work from the bottom up. Because of how incredibly complex and complicated that's going to be, I continue to believe the real solution here is either federal legislation or a constitutional amendment.

Mr. Morden:
More on this here:

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/04/republicans_take_step_to_chang.php

There are still a lot of hoops this would have to jump through before it becomes binding.  Another idea being floated by the RNC is to keep everything the same, but shift the cutoff date for losing half your delegates from the first week of Feb. to the first week of March.  That is, right now, states lose 50% of their delegates if they vote before the first week of Feb.  This could be changed to the first week of March.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page