Who is the most underrated President in history?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:32:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Who is the most underrated President in history?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Who is the most underrated President in history?  (Read 36722 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2009, 08:24:25 AM »

He broke international law, invaded a country on false pretenses and shoddy reasonings, then on top of that ran up a huge deficit in a time of economic prosperity. Yeah he isn't underrated.
Wow, did you just copy/paste DailyKos?  I'm impressed good computer skills
RScannix
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2009, 10:25:28 AM »

James K. Polk and Calvin Coolidge...two of the best.
What is with people and Polk? He invaded another country to annex some land and is imperialist scum. We probably could have bought the land anyways without a war, if a more liberal minded government came to power in the 1850's with Mexico's debt being such a problem.

Agreed. Screw Polk.

As for mine, I'll go with Cleveland or Truman. I like Coolidge, but I don't think he faced as many challenges as the other two, so I have to give them more credit. This Arthur kick intrigues me as well; I must admit that I overlook him all the time.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2009, 12:34:58 PM »

Polk
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2009, 02:52:48 AM »

He broke international law, invaded a country on false pretenses and shoddy reasonings, then on top of that ran up a huge deficit in a time of economic prosperity.

He didn't do any of those things.  It amazes me that Bush was a terrible President, yet most of his critics seem to have no clue as to what the reasons for his failure were.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2009, 04:20:35 AM »

Cooldige, Nixon, Cleveland, John Adams.

Those four two.

You realize, do you not, that Nixon and Adams were philosophically antithetical to Coolidge and Cleveland? Two of the above wanted to decrease the size and scope of the Federal government; two of the above massively expanded it. Care to take a guess as to who did what?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2009, 05:01:42 AM »

Those four two.

You realize, do you not, that Nixon and Adams were philosophically antithetical to Coolidge and Cleveland? Two of the above wanted to decrease the size and scope of the Federal government; two of the above massively expanded it. Care to take a guess as to who did what?

Generally speaking, I find that most admirers of John Adams & Richard Nixon admire them for reasons completely unrelated to the policies that they supported. Of course, that makes posting them in a topic about the most underrated President nonsensical.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2009, 05:06:34 AM »

Those four two.

Generally speaking, I find that most admirers of John Adams & Richard Nixon admire them for reasons completely unrelated to the policies that they supported. Of course, that makes posting them in a topic about the most underrated President nonsensical.

It's all conservative inconsistency and hypocrisy. They know they're supposed to support someone, someway, for some reason, but the actual reasons for that support utterly escapes them. So Nixon - who created, among other things, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency, and then escalated our interventionist exploits in Vietnam - is given the same lauds as the isolationist Coolidge, who would have gutted both, only because he was "demonized" by the dag-gummed lib-uh-rul media.

American conservatism is a hollow pretense.
RScannix
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2009, 12:14:32 PM »

Those four two.

The hell with expanding the government, Nixon imposed price and wage controls for a time. I don't see how any economic conservative could support that, unless they simply didn't care about free competition.

It's all conservative inconsistency and hypocrisy. They know they're supposed to support someone, someway, for some reason, but the actual reasons for that support utterly escapes them. So Nixon - who created, among other things, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency, and then escalated our interventionist exploits in Vietnam - is given the same lauds as the isolationist Coolidge, who would have gutted both, only because he was "demonized" by the dag-gummed lib-uh-rul media.

WillK

« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2009, 10:26:33 PM »

Those four two.

I'll take a guess.
Expanded government:  Cleveland (signed the bill creating the Interstate Commerce Commission and used the army against labor unions) and Nixon (wage and price controls, EPA, OSHA, Consumer Product Safety Commission)

Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2009, 10:38:28 PM »

Those four two.

LOL at thinking I'm a mainstream conservative, I think most people here see me as more liberal than conservative. This thread wasn't which President do you agree with. This thread was "Who is the most underrated President in history?" I, of course, pluralized it. I do think these four are very underrated, never given enough credit for what's come of their administrations and policies, and frankly, aren't done justice by the disgusting congregation of high school textbooks.
RScannix
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2009, 04:25:57 PM »

Whoops. Really screwed up my last post. All that quoting was necessary. This is all I meant to insert:

The hell with expanding the government, Nixon imposed price and wage controls for a time. I don't see how any economic conservative could support that, unless they simply didn't care about free competition.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2009, 01:20:06 AM »

Whoops. Really screwed up my last post. All that quoting was necessary. This is all I meant to insert:

Because he was a Republican. Ronald Reagan raised taxes and ballooned the deficit to massive proportions in order to stimulate jobs in his favorite side of pork (the military-industrial complex), and these same self-styled "economic conservatives" salivate over his gilded prick, too. The Republican Party is not the economic conservative Party; it is the Party of bloated white hypocrites.

As a libertarian, you need to rethink your association with conservatism.
RScannix
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2009, 10:07:30 AM »

Because he was a Republican. Ronald Reagan raised taxes and ballooned the deficit to massive proportions in order to stimulate jobs in his favorite side of pork (the military-industrial complex), and these same self-styled "economic conservatives" salivate over his gilded prick, too. The Republican Party is not the economic conservative Party; it is the Party of bloated white hypocrites.

Huh What do you mean by "association with conservatism"?

If you're implying that I side with Reagan or Nixon, then I have no idea what you are talking  about. I do not, nor have I ever, supported their views.

If you're implying that I always side with the Republican party, I don't understand either. I vote on a candidate-by-candidate basis. Generally, I support Liberal Republicans and Blue-dog Democrats.

If you are referring to economic conservatism, then you don't make sense. Economic conservatism is part and parcel of virtually any libertarian program.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2009, 12:39:23 AM »

Generally, I support Liberal Republicans and Blue-dog Democrats.

They're diametrically opposite from each other.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2009, 02:36:11 AM »

Those four two.

Oh yes, keeping us out of an international war that would have destroyed us, while people on both sides of American politics were screaming for one, and holding back people who genuinely wanted to use their new military to pursuit the broadest interpretation possible of the Alien and Sedition Acts (which he didn't enforce, BTW) to lock up their political enemies and basically preventing the United States from becoming a busted-up, backwards, third world country is no political accomplishment.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2009, 02:46:04 AM »

Like most Americans, you demonstrate a clear misunderstanding of Reagan's actual economic legacy.  I don't blame people, since controlling inflation is not a sexy issue, and it is hard for alot of people to understand, but it must be particularly grating for someone like you to be lumped with average people.
RScannix
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2009, 08:39:52 AM »

Generally, I support Liberal Republicans and Blue-dog Democrats.

They're diametrically opposite from each other.

I am referring to socially liberal Republicans, not fiscally liberal. I support candidates who are generally liberal on social issues and moderately conservative on fiscal issues.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2009, 01:38:21 PM »

Lyndon B. Johnson.

His work is one of the greates in History : the fulfillment of Lincoln's one, he was the man of the Great Society, but all his presidency is reducted to the Vietnam war. That's really a shame...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2009, 05:46:30 AM »

Those four two.

Oh yes, keeping us out of an international war that would have destroyed us, while people on both sides of American politics were screaming for one, and holding back people who genuinely wanted to use their new military to pursuit the broadest interpretation possible of the Alien and Sedition Acts (which he didn't enforce, BTW) to lock up their political enemies and basically preventing the United States from becoming a busted-up, backwards, third world country is no political accomplishment.

I did not say that John Adams was without political accomplishments. I was saying that most people who admire him do so without really knowing why they admire him or for that matter what he did. The same can be said for most Presidents, though.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »

Those four two.

I did not say that John Adams was without political accomplishments. I was saying that most people who admire him do so without really knowing why they admire him or for that matter what he did. The same can be said for most Presidents, though.

Adams was also the last of the truly pro-urban Presidents (well, you could argue that John Quincy was, but...).  After Adams, the thoroughly anti-urban mindset of this country, which has been disastrous in the modern era, set in.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2009, 01:07:57 PM »

Lyndon B. Johnson.

His work is one of the greates in History : the fulfillment of Lincoln's one, he was the man of the Great Society, but all his presidency is reducted to the Vietnam war. That's really a shame...

LBJ isn't so underrated, he frequently makes the Top 12 Presidents in history.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »

Lyndon B. Johnson.

Which means he is about 20 places overrated. Tongue
Mart
Rookie
Chad

« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »

Either Arthur or Nixon.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2009, 12:41:18 PM »

Lyndon B. Johnson.

*7 places underrated
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2009, 03:16:02 PM »

Lyndon B. Johnson.

*7 places underrated

You know the reason most people hate him is your country's fault, right? Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies