Ranking the Presidents from top to buttom
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:17:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Ranking the Presidents from top to buttom
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Ranking the Presidents from top to buttom  (Read 25021 times)
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2004, 02:49:06 AM »
« edited: February 14, 2004, 07:23:31 PM by TheWildCard »

1.Lincoln
2.Washington
3.Reagan
4.Truman
5.FDR
6.Eisenhower
7.TR
8 George W. Bush
9.Nixon
10.Wilson
11.McKinley
12 JFK
13.Taylor
14 Madison
15.Jefferson
16.George H. W.Bush
17 Clevland
18 Monroe
19.Coolidge
20 Taft
21 Grant
22 Hayes(more power to the states, while encuraging african american freedom in the south
22.Ford
22 Garfield
22 William H. Harrison
22 Harrison
27 Arthur
28 Polk
29.John Adams
30.John Q Adams
31 Pierce
32.Harding
33 Jackson
34 Fillmore
35 Van Buren
36 Tyler
37.Clinton
38.LBJ
39 Hoover
40 Carter
41 Buchanan
42 Andrew Johnson

A good source for info on presidents
http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/

C-SPAN also did this awhile ago http://www.americanpresidents.org/survey/viewer/overall.asp

Feel free to make your own list.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 07:29:07 AM »

It's easier to do something like this by doing them ten at a time.

1. Franklin Roosevelt
2. Abraham Lincoln
3. Theodore Roosevelt
4. George Washington
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. James Madison
7. Harry S. Truman
8. Dwight Eisenhower
9. John F. Kennedy
10. Bill Clinton
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 12:44:41 PM »

A full list is just way too much work.

A few favorites:

George Washington, Ronald Reagan, Calvin Coolidge, John Adams (the elder), William McKinley, Grover Cleveland, G.W. Bush.  

Least favorites:

FDR, by far the worst.  Woodrow Wilson and LBJ close seconds.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 01:14:13 PM »

We've done a thread like this before...a full list is really hard... Sad
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 01:38:32 PM »

1. Franklin Roosevelt
2. Abraham Lincoln
3. Theodore Roosevelt
4. George Washington
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. James Madison
7. Harry S. Truman
8. Dwight Eisenhower
9. John F. Kennedy
10. Bill Clinton

There shouldn't be a "." after the S in Harry S Truman as "S" was his middle name Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 02:22:15 PM »

1. Franklin Roosevelt
2. Abraham Lincoln
3. Theodore Roosevelt
4. George Washington
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. James Madison
7. Harry S. Truman
8. Dwight Eisenhower
9. John F. Kennedy
10. Bill Clinton

There shouldn't be a "." after the S in Harry S Truman as "S" was his middle name Wink

Huh
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 03:08:19 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2004, 03:09:47 PM by supersoulty »

I'll do my top 20 because, after 20 who cares and also after about 20 the quality of the presidents drops off very suddenly.  Also, this is a list of who I think are the BEST presidents of all-time, not my favorites.

1) Abraham Lincoln
2) George Washington
3) Teddy Roosevelt
4) Ronald Reagan
5) Harry Truman
6) Thomas Jefferson (he was a good president, but pretty hypocritical)
7) James Madison
8] John Adams
9) Bob Dole (sigh, in a parallel universe)
9) (for real) Dwight Eisenhower
10) John F. Kennedy
11) James Monroe
12) Richard Nixon
13) Andrew Jackson
14) William McKinley
15) George Bush
16) Franklin Deleno Roosevelt ( Only reason he is on here AT ALL is because he kept the morale of the nation up during the Great Depression and WWII)
17) Willaim Howard Taft (as I have said before, the most under-rated president in history in my opinion)
18) Lyndon Johnson (the Great Society was a disaster in my opinion, but he did advance Civil Rights, I chastize him for Vietnam not because he kept it going, but because he didn't put enough foward to decisivly win the war from the outset, but at least he kept us there, unlike what a lot of Dems would have done at the time)
19) Calvin Coolidge (good lazze fare economic policy, but he should have done something to stop the farms from failing, I think if he had, it would have shallowed the Depression)
20) At this point, I don't think it matters anymore

Depending on how the second term of the Bush presidency goes, he could rank anywhere from 6-15 on my-list in the future.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 03:15:13 PM »

I'll do my top 20 because, after 20 who cares and also after about 20 the quality of the presidents drops off very suddenly.  Also, this is a list of who I think are the BEST presidents of all-time, not my favorites.

1) Abraham Lincoln
2) George Washington
3) Teddy Roosevelt
4) Ronald Reagan
5) Harry Truman
7) James Madison
8] John Adams
10) John F. Kennedy
11) James Monroe
12) Richard Nixon
13) Andrew Jackson
14) William McKinley
15) George Bush
16) Franklin Deleno Roosevelt ( Only reason he is on here AT ALL is because he kept the morale of the nation up during the Great Depression and WWII)
17) Willaim Howard Taft (as I have said before, the most under-rated president in history in my opinion)
18) Lyndon Johnson (the Great Society was a disaster in my opinion, but he did advance Civil Rights, I chastize him for Vietnam not because he kept it going, but because he didn't put enough foward to decisivly win the war from the outset, but at least he kept us there, unlike what a lot of Dems would have done at the time)
19) Calvin Coolidge (good lazze fare economic policy, but he should have done something to stop the farms from failing, I think if he had, it would have shallowed the Depression)

Depending on how the second term of the Bush presidency goes, he could rank anywhere from 6-15 on my-list in the future.

How was it good by LBJ to keep you in Vietnam? It would have been better to pull out, than to suffer all the things you suffered by just being there for so long without achieving anything.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 03:26:22 PM »

1) Abraham Lincoln
2) George Washington
3) Teddy Roosevelt
4) Ronald Reagan
5) Harry Truman
7) James Madison
8] John Adams
10) John F. Kennedy
11) James Monroe
12) Richard Nixon
13) Andrew Jackson
14) William McKinley
15) George Bush

How was it good by LBJ to keep you in Vietnam? It would have been better to pull out, than to suffer all the things you suffered by just being there for so long without achieving anything.

LBJ staying in Vietnam made it possible for Nixon to escalate the war and bring North Vietnam to the peace table.  If Nixon hadn't resigned, I don't think that the North would have attacked and over taken the South, because they would have been terrified of Nixon.  We won in Vietnam.  The North recongnized the independence of the South.  We lost the peace, that's all.  We lost South Vietnam because the nation was in turmiol from Watergate and the Communists took advantage of that to over run the South.  I do think that LBJ should have been more agressive in subduing the North, but, oh well.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2004, 05:12:42 PM »

1) Abraham Lincoln
2) George Washington
3) Teddy Roosevelt
4) Ronald Reagan
5) Harry Truman
7) James Madison
8] John Adams
10) John F. Kennedy
11) James Monroe
12) Richard Nixon
13) Andrew Jackson
14) William McKinley
15) George Bush

LBJ staying in Vietnam made it possible for Nixon to escalate the war and bring North Vietnam to the peace table.  If Nixon hadn't resigned, I don't think that the North would have attacked and over taken the South, because they would have been terrified of Nixon.  We won in Vietnam.  The North recongnized the independence of the South.  We lost the peace, that's all.  We lost South Vietnam because the nation was in turmiol from Watergate and the Communists took advantage of that to over run the South.  I do think that LBJ should have been more agressive in subduing the North, but, oh well.

I think the South was toast and never stood a chance. The only thing you might have achieved was literally bombing North Vietnam back to the stone age, wiping out the nation comletely. You could never have won it in any real sense of the word.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004, 05:16:15 PM »

1) Abraham Lincoln
2) George Washington
3) Teddy Roosevelt
4) Ronald Reagan
5) Harry Truman
7) James Madison
8] John Adams
10) John F. Kennedy
11) James Monroe
12) Richard Nixon
13) Andrew Jackson
14) William McKinley
15) George Bush

I think the South was toast and never stood a chance. The only thing you might have achieved was literally bombing North Vietnam back to the stone age, wiping out the nation comletely. You could never have won it in any real sense of the word.

But the North acctually did give-up.  The War was over for two years or so before the North reinvaded the south with almost no opposition.  They did it because they new the US wouldn't stop them.  If Nixon had still been president, they wouldn't have dared.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2004, 05:21:02 PM »

1) Abraham Lincoln
2) George Washington
3) Teddy Roosevelt
4) Ronald Reagan
5) Harry Truman
7) James Madison
8] John Adams
10) John F. Kennedy
11) James Monroe
12) Richard Nixon
13) Andrew Jackson
14) William McKinley
15) George Bush

But the North acctually did give-up.  The War was over for two years or so before the North reinvaded the south with almost no opposition.  They did it because they new the US wouldn't stop them.  If Nixon had still been president, they wouldn't have dared.  

It's a psychological thing. The South Vietnamese goverment was never really viable, imo, and would've fallen sooner or later. And there was the internal opposition in the US.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2004, 07:27:07 PM »

We've done a thread like this before...a full list is really hard... Sad

Sorry I didn't realize and a full list is tough... guess it shows how much time I have right now lol

and I updated my list slightly.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 10:04:36 PM »

Best presidents ever?

1. Kennedy
2. Washington
3. Lincoln
4. FDR
5. CLINTON!!!  : D (seriously, I can get over the woman problems, he's the best president we've had in years)    
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2004, 12:22:30 AM »

I don't know where this fits, but I was looking at the lists and remembered an interesting fact.  James Madison is the only president in history to every acctually fulfil his capacity as Commander and Chief on the battle field.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2004, 09:52:17 AM »

My own top 10 from the 20th C

1. Franklin Roosevelt
2. Richard Nixon
3. Bill Clinton
4. Lyndon Johson
5. John F Kennedy
6. Ronald Reagan
7. Harry Truman
8. Teddy Roosevelt
9. Jimmy Carter
10.Woodrow Wilson
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2004, 01:13:14 PM »

Best presidents ever?

1. Kennedy
2. Washington
3. Lincoln
4. FDR
5. CLINTON!!!  : D (seriously, I can get over the woman problems, he's the best president we've had in years)    

Kennedy top? I am gonna like you!!! Cheesy
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2004, 04:54:37 PM »

kennedy only served for 3 years, he can't be at the top.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2004, 05:19:22 PM »

i know he isn't the greatest president, but he is my favourite and the one I most admire (although I don't know much about most of them)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2004, 06:02:23 PM »

20th century:

1) FDR
2) Ike
3) Harry S
4) JFK
5) Big stick
6) Peanut farmer
7) Taft
Cool Great Communicator
9) LBJ
10) Willy
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2004, 03:10:01 PM »

1. Lincoln
2. T. Roosevelt
3. Jefferson
4. F. Roosevelt
5. Washington
6. Polk
7. Truman
8. Monroe
9. Madison
10. Wilson
Honorable Mention--Jackson, Kennedy, Clinton
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2004, 06:40:58 PM »

1. Lincoln
2. T. Roosevelt
3. Jefferson
4. F. Roosevelt
5. Washington
6. Polk
7. Truman
8. Monroe
9. Madison
10. Wilson
Honorable Mention--Jackson, Kennedy, Clinton
Great list!  No reagan!  Stand up to the debts!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2004, 12:32:38 AM »

My own top 10 from the 20th C

1. Franklin Roosevelt
2. Richard Nixon
3. Bill Clinton
4. Lyndon Johson
5. John F Kennedy
6. Ronald Reagan
7. Harry Truman
8. Teddy Roosevelt
9. Jimmy Carter
10.Woodrow Wilson

Afleitch, I really like your number 2 position.  Richard Nixon wasn't a bad president, for someone who was essentially a liberal Democrat.  In general though I disagree with all your choices.  In fact several of your best are among my worst.  But cool of you to give some recogition to Nixon - I always say he was the best liberal president we ever had.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2004, 06:51:22 PM »

Now for the worst ten Presidents (with lower numbers indicating a lower opinion of the individual):

10. JQ Adams
9. GHW Bush
8. Polk
7. Carter
6. Hoover
5. Tyler
4. Buchanan
3. Harding
2. A Johnson
1. GW Bush
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2004, 07:13:12 PM »

Personally, I don't like Grant (woah... corruption up the wazoo!), and Hoover (I think I heard a quote from his telling someone who was poor to eat the White House grass to get food... he seemed pretty insensitive to the working/unemployed man)if I'm wrong, correct me!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies